1p7 - show 1password and autofill on chrome-firefox broken after update

devmart
devmart
Community Member

I'm on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6. I just updated to 1Password7 and autofill stopped working on both Chrome and Firefox. Also the "show 1password" shortcut doesn't work anymore.
I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times the extensions on chrome and firefox but they don't respond. I don't know what else to do, this is very frustrating...

1Password Version: 7.0.1
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: Mac OS sierra 10.12.6
Sync Type: 1password

Comments

• devmart
    devmart
    Community Member

After trying to get this fixed all night I found a solution and I'm going to post it here if someone else runs into the same issue:
    My 1password Application was installed in my home Application folder (~/Applications) instead of the system level one (/Applications); after the update shortcuts didn't work and autofilling was unresponsive. After uninstalling 1p7 and reinstalling it under the main Application folder, everything went back to normal.
    Needless to say, this SHOULD NOT have happened.
    To the 1p team: you can't push a major update that breaks all the functionality because you made a big assumption about which folder the user had the application installed in. Please test more thoroughly next time.

• Hey @devmart! Thanks for letting us know what happened. When you upgraded to 1Password 7, did you choose to install it "just for me" rather than for "all users"? The upgrade process uses a .pkg installer, which is native to macOS and asks where you want to install the app. By default it should be /Applications, but if it wasn't, you may have been using an account that wasn't an admin, or chosen to install it in your user folder instead.

• DavidShepherdson
    DavidShepherdson
    Community Member

In case it's helpful, I ran into the same problem and came up with the same solution (before finding this post!).

I had 1Password 6 installed in ~/Applications, and updated to 1Password 7 via the automatic/in-app updater (which didn't prompt me with anything about the installation location -- which matches the behaviour of all the 1Password 6 point-release updates I had installed that way previously). This auto-update installed 1Password 7 in ~/Applications, but after the installation, I found that the browser extension didn't work, and neither did the keyboard shortcuts for activating 1Password Mini. I tried re-setting the keyboard shortcuts, quitting 1Password altogether, re-installing the (Firefox) browser extension and logging out and back in, but none of those helped.

In the end, I deleted 1Password 7 from ~/Applications, downloaded the 1Password 7 installer from agilebits.com, and ran the installer, which only gave me the option of installing 'for all users' (i.e. in /Applications). Since I did this, everything seems to have been working again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@DavidShepherdson - yep, installing into (or upgrading from 1Password 6 for Mac) ~/Applications will break some things, now that we're sandboxed in version 7. Thanks for taking the time to report, and glad to hear you figured out the solution on your own. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.