Edit View is a total mess

Sheza
Sheza
Community Member
edited May 2018 in Mac

I love this app, I really do. Built in support for 2FA is amazing. But guys, the edit view is incredibly confusing. It doesn't make sense. I was doing a 'spring clean' of my vault after upgrading to 1Password 7, and editing the fields was a pain.

• Sometimes I clicked on the wrong field to update information, because they were so small.
  • Sometimes I accidentally put the text into the title for a field rather than the field itself, because they're so close together.
  • Some fields have really nice formatting, whereas others are just plain text.
  • On some fields, you get this really magical button that lets you select whether the field is to be used for a password, 2FA, email address, date, etc.... but on other fields this button is missing.
  • Sometimes there's a button that lets you delete a field, other times there's not.
  • Following on from the above... there are loads of empty fields that cannot be changed in any way?
  • Text input is literally broken - I just tested filling in a blank section/label/field combination in a random website login, and I started typing into the 'new field' placeholder text and suddenly the entire section duplicated itself. What??
  • Bank accounts are a total nightmare to edit... some of the information appears in a nice box with a white background, whereas some information is displayed upon a grey background. There's no way (that I can see) to add fields for online banking passwords or memorable names etc, and that magical button shows up in some bank account entries I have in my vault but not others. It's completely random?

EDIT: I’ve just noticed... the magical button IS there. It’s right there in my screenshot where I claim it’s not there. I didn’t see it at first because it’s a new concept and I was focusing on the fact that you can’t delete or add sections... anyway the rest of my points stand

Here's what I mean about banks:

And here's what I mean about the duplication - the first section/label/field is what I actually typed. Then the one underneath just appeared by itself after I stopped typing:

1Password Version: 7.0.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• Sheza
    Sheza
    Community Member

Still hoping for a response to this. I hope I'm not breaking some rule about bumping - I just noticed that more recent threads were being replied to by staff so assumed you missed this one going chronologically.

• Hey @Sheza! Thanks for the patience – we reply to posts in the order they were last updated, and you posted again so yours rose to the top of the list. The forum has been pretty busy with the 1Password 7 launch so we're working our way through. :) Let's hop in...

Some fields have really nice formatting, whereas others are just plain text.

Markdown formatting is supported for the notes field that each item has, and that's always displayed as the last field in the item. In a Secure Note item, it's the only field present, but you can add more fields if you'd like by adding sections and titles to them.

On some fields, you get this really magical button that lets you select whether the field is to be used for a password, 2FA, email address, date, etc.... but on other fields this button is missing.

That button is the field type changer, and it only shows on custom fields. You can change the type of those fields since they're not part of the item's original template. Here, for example, everything below SECTION is custom fields:

Sometimes there's a button that lets you delete a field, other times there's not.

Only custom fields can be deleted. If a field is part of an item's template, such as username, password, or website in the above screenshot, it can't be deleted. You can leave it blank and it won't be displayed when the item is being viewed.

Following on from the above... there are loads of empty fields that cannot be changed in any way?

Fields that are part of item templates, like the ones I just mentioned above, can't be deleted or changed because the template includes them. You can simply leave them blank and they won't show when you're viewing the item.

Text input is literally broken - I just tested filling in a blank section/label/field combination in a random website login, and I started typing into the 'new field' placeholder text and suddenly the entire section duplicated itself. What??

Could you try updating to 1Password 7.0.3? You posted this with 7.0 so there have been some improvements since then.

Bank accounts are a total nightmare to edit... some of the information appears in a nice box with a white background, whereas some information is displayed upon a grey background. There's no way (that I can see) to add fields for online banking passwords or memorable names etc, and that magical button shows up in some bank account entries I have in my vault but not others. It's completely random?

The white background is for fields that are part of the Bank Account template, and the grey one is for custom fields and the notes field. You can change the latter, but the former is just like what I mentioned above. Hope this helps for now! :)

• Sheza
    Sheza
    Community Member

Thanks for the explanation @Jacob

Markdown formatting is supported for the notes field that each item has, and that's always displayed as the last field in the item. In a Secure Note item, it's the only field present, but you can add more fields if you'd like by adding sections and titles to them.

In this case I'm not talking about markdown, I'm talking about the stuff in the white box. More on this later.

Fields that are part of item templates, like the ones I just mentioned above, can't be deleted or changed because the template includes them.

However, I just changed IBAN etc in the bank account fields. So I'm talking about a lack of consistency here. I now understand that fields can't be deleted if they are part of the template. What is confusing is the separation between white background and grey background. In the screenshot you posted, the username and password appear in the white part of the background. However, you also said that the website was part of the template, and so cannot be removed. Yet the website shows up in the grey part.... along with all the custom fields that can be deleted. It gets more confusing, however, because you can also modify the headings of the parts that are in the white background (IBAN etc). This is inconsistent with the white part of a login, for example, as you cannot change the heading 'username' or 'password' at all. Furthermore, 'Branch Information' is part of the bank template, but it's in the grey area. Why?

What we are left with is this situation:

• Some headings in the white area can be changed, others cannot
    • Parts of the un-deletable template (e.g. 'website' for logins, or 'branch information' for banks) show up in the grey area. This suggests to a user that they are not part of the template.

Why not put all elements of an item template inside the white area, and leave all custom fields for the grey area?

This is not helped by the stacking of headers on top of their fields. I think 1Password 6 handled this much better by separating headings and fields horizontally, so that I can scan across and not down.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Why not put all elements of an item template inside the white area, and leave all custom fields for the grey area?

@Sheza: I think that's a good suggestion. I'm not certain if there is a particular reason for the way it's setup now, but it's something we can discuss. Thanks for all of your feedback on this! :)

This discussion has been closed.