Laptop stolen and cannot setup on new device b/c no secret key as had standalone. What do I do?

need_1password_help
need_1password_help
Community Member
edited May 2018 in Mac

"If you use the standalone version of 1Password (i.e. without a subscription account), you’ll need to migrate your data using iCloud, Dropbox, or a USB flash drive:"

WHAT?! My laptop was stolen, and I have no way of migrating....

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @need_1password_help,

Well that certainly sucks. I've had things, including a laptop, stolen from me before. It's a really horrible feeling.

Even if you were using 1Password standalone, you were still able to sync your data to a service if you wanted to. You could sync your data to either Dropbox or iCloud. Did you do either of those? Otherwise, do you have any backups from your stolen laptop?

• need_1password_help
    need_1password_help
    Community Member

That's an understatement. I locked it, issued a key, and put a message on it, but I have little hope. No, I never did the syncing, as I was always able to download the standalone, use my master key, etc. I don't backup my laptop, as I use all cloud services. I just had to install some apps and let Dropbox sync, and I am back in business (except for 1 Password and all the things I need to do with those passwords....). I have a feeling I am hosed..... I don't remember an email coming out stating to set up a secret key, or I certainly would have but maybe I missed it. :(.

• need_1password_help
    need_1password_help
    Community Member

Any more thoughts @Corey_C ?

• clockworks
    clockworks
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

On a more general note I wanna stress that people should think about their disaster recovery strategies. Because, even if you sync your data to dropbox for example that wont help you if your E-Mail and Dropbox passwords are only stored within 1Password and you no longer have access to it.

• need_1password_help
    need_1password_help
    Community Member

Yes, but I think it's ridiculous that you show that you do NOT need a secret key with a stand-alone download, you change your licensing approach to membership, and don't send out an email. It's easy to reset my Dropbox password and other critical applications (I am not an idiot and have DR - you changed your licensing approach and didn't notify standalone users). I have two factor authentication and resetting that was a piece of cake. It's everything else - amazon, Delta, etc. I just have to spend hours resetting them. You have lost a customer, that's for sure. Thank you @Corey_C for being empathetic. Back to Roboform....

• jtucker
    jtucker
    Community Member

@need_1password_help

I'm curious about your problem, but don't quite understand what you're saying the problem with 1Password is.

No, I never did the syncing, as I was always able to download the standalone, use my master key, etc. I don't backup my laptop, as I use all cloud services.

I don't remember an email coming out stating to set up a secret key, or I certainly would have but maybe I missed it.

If you used the standalone license, the secret key never applied to you and you never needed (or could) set one up. As I understand it, the secret key is used only for the 1Password.com memberships, not for people using the standalone license.

Also, if you used the standalone license, you had the option of storing your vault (passwords) on Dropbox or possibly in Apple's iCloud. If you did that, your data is still in that place. You also had the option of doing a local backup of your vault somewhere. You had to explicitly choose to do one of those or not do it, but a secret key is not involved in any of those approaches.

If you truly did none of the above and your ONLY copy of your vault (passwords) was on the laptop that was stolen, then I'm pretty sure that, yes, you are hosed. But if you were using a standalone license instead of 1Password.com membership, then having or not having a secret key is irrelevant.

Also, when Agilebits offered the membership (1Password.com) option of licensing, it did not affect how your standalone license functioned.

I think you might be able to get more useful help if you explain in more detail how you were using 1Password, whether you were really still using the standalone license or whether you switched to 1Password.com memberhip. And if standalone, then where your vault was stored and what, if any, sync/backup approach you were using.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Hello @need_1password_help

My apologies, I was away for the weekend. @jtucker is absolutely correct. Secret Keys are only required for people who use 1Password memberships. You, as a standalone user, don't have one and don't need one. When setting up your vault initially, you had the option to set it to sync your 1Password data with either Dropbox or iCloud. Neither of those options require the use of a Secret Key. If you chose to sync your data with either of those services, then it is still recoverable. Did you sync it with either of those services?

This discussion has been closed.