1Password 7: Localisation needs some work

TheMaJa
TheMaJa
Community Member

I just updated to 1Password 7 on my German macOS and the 1Password UI contains a lot of untranslated words in all parts of the software: sidebar, menu bar, settings, detail view, password quality meter, watchtower and 1Password mini. Apart from the fact that this looks unattractive, a user who doesn't speak English would certainly have difficulties using one or the other function. Hope this will be resolved quickly.

1Password Version: 7.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.3
Sync Type: WiFi

Comments

• Hey @TheMaJa! Could you take some screenshots of the areas where localization needs improvements? That'll help us track down what we should be working on. :) 1Password for Mac is translated by you and other 1Password users on CrowdIn, and you're welcome to join the crew to help improve things.

• TheMaJa
    TheMaJa
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Please don't get me wrong (I like 1Password and the team behind it very much!), but I don't think it is my job to translate the software. It is a commercial product and you charge money for the update (I use the standalone version). I have my own small software company, much smaller than AgileBits, and we use professional translation agencies for localization. We have not yet delivered an update in which parts of the software were not translated.

• No problem! Having crowdsourced translations gives us a chance to get accurate translations of things, and as we grow we'll probably go with another option down the road.

• nullpointer
    nullpointer
    Community Member

Crowdsourced translations for a commercial product is a joke. It can take up to years until finished.

• Rei Vilo
    Rei Vilo
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Here an example where localisation is needed, this time for French. None of the categories are provided in French, when the same screen was 100% in French with previous version.

I'm using release 7.0.4. Thank you!

• Indeed, categories aren't localized yet when you're using a 1Password account because 1Password accounts aren't localized.

• benjamindavid
    benjamindavid
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

@Jacob Do you plan to localize 1Password accounts at all? It really makes it impossible to use for non-english speaking members of my family.

• Hi @benjamindavid ,

Yes, there is a plan to localize 1Password accounts. I don't have a date to announce, but it is something we plan on doing.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.