Upgrading to 1Password 7 from 1Password 6 with Dropbox

xnetco
xnetco
Community Member

Hello.

We use 1Password across our business over a number of Macs, PCs and iPhone devices. We want to continue using Dropbox to sync between them but also upgrade to 1Password 7. Is this possible to upgrade individual Macs to 1Password but continue sharing passwords with older users via Dropbox?

Thanks

Tim

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hey @xnetco! You can get a license for 1Password 7 and use that with Dropbox just as you always have if you'd like. To get a license, upgrade to 1Password 7 purchase it during the upgrade process:

Upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac

It’s good to keep in mind that with a license, you won't get the benefits of a 1Password membership. That includes all the 1Password apps so you can use it on your computer, phone, tablet, or even a browser. It also has automatic sync between all the devices you end up adding, versions of your items that are backed up automatically so you can restore one if you make a change by mistake, and much more.

Either way, I hope that helps and I'll be here if you have some questions. :)

• xnetco
    xnetco
    Community Member

Thanks Jacob.

My concern is over the compatibility with 1Password and Windows clients. Can I still share vaults from these other platforms over Dropbox with 1Password 7?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@xnetco - certainly! Dropbox works quite hard to be available on many platforms and versions of OS, so as long as your devices themselves are compatible, you should be able to sync 1Password data between them. For reference, here's a list of requirements for 1Password across all four platforms and various services, including Dropbox.

• xnetco
    xnetco
    Community Member

Thanks. Just to confirm it doesn't matter sharing the same vault over Dropbox with 1Password 6 and 7?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@xnetco - that's right; sharing the same vault between versions 6 and 7 is fine.

• rwolin
    rwolin
    Community Member

Hello I have been using a licensed version of 1Password 6 (which syncs data to Dropbox) for the Mac and decided to move to 1Password 7 membership.. How do I get my databases (TWO Vaults) moved over to see and use in 1Password 7 membership version? Thanks

this did not work
    Upgrade to 1Password 7
    To get started, download 1Password 7 and install it. When you open the app for the first time:

Your accounts and vaults will be imported from the earlier version of 1Password.
    Your folders will be converted to tags.
    If you sync with Dropbox, iCloud, or the WLAN server, your sync settings will be imported.

• @rwolin You can start using a 1Password membership by upgrading to 1Password 7 and signing up, then migrating your Primary vault over during setup. If that didn't work, open 1Password 7 and click File > Import, then choose 1Password 6 from the list and import your data to one of your new membership vaults. If you want to move each vault over separately, create vaults to match them in your new account, then you can import things by adding the vaults to 1Password for Mac first:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Choose 1Password > Preferences from the menu bar, then click Advanced.
    3. Check the "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" box and enter your Master Password when prompted.
    4. Click Sync and sync your first vault from Dropbox.
    5. Open Dropbox, find your second vault, and double-click it to add it to 1Password. Enter its password.

Now you can move each vault's contents to your new account:

Move items between vaults

Then click Vault > Delete Vault in the menu bar on each old vault to delete it. Let us know how that goes!

• musicmegga
    musicmegga
    Community Member

Hi Jacob,
    I just upgraded from 1PW6 standalone to 1PW7 membership. These instructions you listed above were easy to follow. Thanks!

The instruction to "create vaults to match them" first is important and I almost missed it. You may want to make that step 1 so it doesn't get missed by others.

Otherwise, looks like things went smoothly for me. :)
    Mary Ellen

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@musicmegga - on jacob's behalf, you're quite welcome! Glad his instructions worked well for you. :)

• DrCurious
    DrCurious
    Community Member

I have an issue: upgraded from 1PW6 to 1PW7 and joined to the membership. However, I'd like to continue using Dropbox Sync for now across multiple devices (Andrdoid, iOS and Mac). I see my Mac local vault correctly, but when trying to enable Dropbox Sync something goes wrong. I have selected the "Allow creation of vaults outside 1password accounts". I have the Sync tab now as "None". When selecting Dropbox, I get a prompt: "Disabling Sync - 1password will no longer sync primary vault with the folder"...waitasec, I was trying to reenable my Dropbox sync, not disable.

Also, my Android 1password client wanted to convert the Dropbox vault structure into new format...I gave the permission..hopefully I did the right thing.

So currently I have Android 1PW7.0.3, which is syncing to Dropbox but my Mac 1PW7.1.1 doesn't want to enable Dropbox. Please help!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @DrCurious! I can't be 100% certain, but it sounds as if you might have been using an Agile Keychain for sync previously, and authorizing your 1Password for Android app to make the change means you've switched over to using an OPVault. That's actually good (though not as good as creating a 1password.com account), but it does mean you'll be using a different keychain. The one you want now will be called SomeName.opvault -- you can look up the exact file-path in 1Password for Android. In 1Password 7 for Mac, if you go to Preferences > Sync and turn off the syncing (switch it to "none"), then switch it back to Dropbox after a few seconds, you should be presented with a choice of which sync keychain you want to use -- or to create a new one (dont!). If this isn't working, I'd recommend you restart your Mac, then try again. Let me know how that works for you.

• davidcohen
    davidcohen
    Community Member

Hi,
    I just upgraded to 1Password 7.3 subscription from 6.x stand alone license and my primary account moved to 1Password membership.
    I also had a vault syncing on Dropbox that was shared with users of other versions of 1Password.
    I followed the instructions to add the Dropbox version and it worked, but it also created a "On My Mac" "Primary" vault with nothing in it. If I delete that "Primary" vault, it also deletes the Dropbox vault.

Am I doing something wrong here?
    Thanks,
    David

• Hi @davidcohen

We no longer support using Dropbox to share vaults with other people, but if you're going to do so, it will require having a standalone 'Primary' vault. Standalone is built on the foundation of the Primary vault. 1Password membership would be the way forward for a smooth sharing experience.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.