Is registration mandatory for 1Password 7 from Mac App Store?

jenscb
jenscb
Community Member
edited May 2018 in Mac

Hi,

I am currently using MacOs 1Password 6 over iCloud.
I'm currently considering the upgrade to 7, I have found two major downsides:
Monthly subscription payment and mandatory registration.

I am aware that there is a standalone one-off-payment version, however that is not an option as I want the Mac App Store to handle the updates of 1Password, rather than having to do them manually.

If I'd fall for the subscription, is it really mandatory to register an account with 1Password? If I had an account for every app I have ever bought I'd be drowning in accounts and their credentials - also I hate those "hey we know you said not to mail you, but we have this exciting news about our app GUI having now a new shade of color that you cannot possibly care about, and no you cannot reply to this mail telling us to bugger off" in my inbox that come with accounts eventually.

I don't care about any of the points of https://support.1password.com/why-membership/ , I'd just like to keep on syncing over iCloud and use the latest available version from the AppStore.

I really think that 1Password is a great app, otherwise I wouldn't even begin to consider the upgrade. Thanks in advance for your answers!

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.8.8 (688001) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4 (17E202)
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@jenscb 1Password 7 Stand-alone is only available from AgileBits. The MAS 1Password 7 is subscription only. Either way, it's a paid upgrade. You get a one month free trial with the MAS version--you register you credit card purchase, but won't be charged for a month. You can cancel any time before that. However, your account will be frozen until you either buy a stand-alone or subscribe. As for email and marketing, that is specifically up to you to request or refuse. HTH

• Sheza
    Sheza
    Community Member

If I had an account for every app I have ever bought I'd be drowning in accounts and their credentials

Isn’t that the point of using a password manager like 1Password?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jenscb,

While it is definitely possible to have a subscription but only use standalone vaults stored on your Mac you would still need to create the account with us and connect 1Password to that account. If we ignore all the stuff in https://support.1password.com/why-membership/ there's still the part where the account must exist so that your Apple subscription is associated with something. Then the 1Password client needs to know this as well which also falls onto the account to act as the broker.

I'm afraid you will have to decide between avoiding the creation of an account or updating via the App Store. I'm not sure I see the convenience of the App Store for updating so it seems like you would be better off with the AgileBits Store version of 1Password and purchasing a licence. That's just my thought on the matter though, it's which scenario you prefer and think works best for you.

While it is possible to subscribe and not use our servers for vaults, it seems an unusual decision to me given we do still support licences. There's no harm in the option though.

If you feel there are still aspects needing detailed please say.

This discussion has been closed.