Primary Vault location

i24teen
i24teen
Community Member

Just upgraded from 1Password 6 to 7. Asked to sync Primary vault with my backup which in on an external HD. Seems that my Primary Vault is now on my iMac. Thought my Primary Vault was on an Agilebits computer. Am I mistaken? Has my Primary Vault been moved when I switched to &?

1Password Version: 7.0.1
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Local HD

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @i24teen,

If 1Password is explicitly referring to it as a Primary vault then it will be a vault locally stored on this Mac. For our 1Password accounts, the ones where the one true source of your encrypted data is our server we refer to your vault as the Personal vault.

So the first thing we need to do is figure out if you also have a 1Password account and whether the presence of this Primary vault is maybe a leftover from when you made the move.

1. In 1Password's preferences switch to the Accounts tab. Do you see an account (or accounts) listed down the left hand side? Just a yes or no or how many you see as these are public support forums and you don't want any details about your 1Password account posted here.
    2. If you have a 1Password account connected to this copy of 1Password, using Use the sidebar in 1Password 7 as a reference, can you do a quick visual comparison to see if your Primary vault seems to be mostly identical to the Personal vault? Something that can be possibly useful is to sort the All Items view by date modified which is adjustable directly below the search field. If the two vaults seem to be largely similar but nothing has been modified in the Primary vault then it's likely redundant.

The path we hope that 1Password 7 would guide people through would be to migrate whatever they had been using in 1Password 6 but things could got slightly awry if we didn't correctly anticipate people's behaviour. The default would have been to grab everything from 1Password 6 though. Let's see what you find and we'll take it from there.

• i24teen
    i24teen
    Community Member

I found my account and compared Primary and Personal vaults. They appear to be the same. I was confused when the 1Password 7 asked for the folder of my Personal vault as I recall.

• Glad to hear it! :)

This discussion has been closed.