1password 7 accepts old password, not new 1password.com password

snvast
snvast
Community Member

I just upgraded to 1password.com and installed 1password 7 for Mac. 1password 7 still accepts my old password used with my dropbox-synced 1password 6, not the new password, secret key, and two-factor authentication set up with 1password.com. I imported the old vault into the new vault. I still see the old vault and have it unchecked. I did similarly on my iPhone and iPad, but 1password on these devices accepts the new password/secret key/two-factor and I successfully deleted the old vaults, so all seems well on iOs. So my questions are why does 1p7 still want the old password, and isn't it best to delete the old vault on the Mac too, and if so, how do I do that?

thank you!

1Password Version: 7.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.3
Sync Type: 1password.com
Referrer: forum-search:Not asking for new password

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @snvast

Congrats on the new 1Password membership! The reason 1Password still wants the old password is because the old vault still exists. That old vault, as you said, has a different Master Password. As long as that old vault still remains in 1Password on your Mac, that old password will still be expected. In order to fix this, we need to delete the old vault.

Open up 1Password and, in the top menu bar, click Vault>Switch to Vault>Primary and then Vault>Delete Vault. That should remove that old vault and, from now on, your new Master Password will be used to unlock 1Password.

• snvast
    snvast
    Community Member

Thanks Corey. I hadn't mentioned that I also had a shared vault in On My Mac, and the Delete Vault option was greyed out until I first followed your instruction for the 2nd, shared vault. Once I deleted that second vault, Delete Vault worked for the Primary Vault. Thanks for your help!

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

My pleasure, @snvast. Happy to hear that solved the issue for you. :)

-Corey

This discussion has been closed.