1Password 7 Safary Extension Not Working

gcv
gcv
Community Member

I installed 1Password 7 stand-alone version on my Mac. My 1Password extension no longer works in Safari and is grayed out. I visited Agile's web site and downloaded the updated browser extension but it still doesn't work. On Agile's web site it says to uninstall the Safari extension, and reinstall it. When I try to do this, Safari indicates the extension is a beta version, and in order to delete it I need to delete 1Password 7 App. I'm not sure I should do that because it may delete all my information.

I have restarted my Mac but that also doesn't resolve my issue. I also followed the instructions to resolve this for 1Password 6 but that doesn't help either. There aren't instructions for resolving this in 1Password 7.

How can I get the Safari Extension to work?

1Password Version: 7.0.1
Extension Version: 7.0.BETA-5
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1Password 7 Safari Extension

Comments

• davidboone
    davidboone
    Community Member

I am having the exact same issue, although my wife and I run separate partitions on our iMac. 1Password 7 Safari mini extension is behaving properly in my partition but will not open in my wife's partition. Firefox and Chrome are working correctly in both partitions. I have followed the troubleshooting instructions including reinstalling the extension and rebooting. On a couple occasions multiple clicks on the menu bar icon result int he launch and operations of mini, but it won't stay running.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gcv - in earlier version of the 1Password beta (such as beta-5), we were using an entirely new extension in Safari called the Safari App Extension. Safari was the only one of our browsers that received this new update (or could take advantage of it). Unfortunately, due to a couple of snags, we had to scrap the SAE at the last minute and return to using the same 4.7.1 extension that's used by Chrome and Firefox.

If you're still using the beta of 1Password 7, for one thing, you should definitely update the full 7.0 release. You can grab a copy of the latest version from our downloads page. Before you install it, however, make sure you uninstall that Safari App Extension by deleting the app itself. Don't worry, the app is stored separately on your hard drive from your actual data, so it can be safely deleted. Make sure Safari's not running, and Quit 1Password 7 completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), then proceed. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash. Then go ahead and install the current version, and once that's done you can visit our extensions page and install the usual 4.7.1 extension, and you should be good to go! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @davidboone! Sorry for the trouble. It's a bit hard to say what might be going on with the Safari extension without knowing a bit more about your setup. Are you using Fast User Switching where you have both user accounts open at the same time? What version of the 1Password extension are you using? And what version of 1Password 7 (you can find it by clicking on 1Password > About?

• davidboone
    davidboone
    Community Member

Hi Lars. Thanks for the reply. I seem to have gotten Version 7 working after multiple reinstalls of the extension in both partitions. I also rebooted our Mac several times. Yes, we use fast user switching and both partitions are active all of the time. During the process the update to V 7.0.2 also came out and was installed.

Currently running:

1Password 7.0.2
    Extension 4.7.1

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@davidboone - that's great to hear! I'm glad between the 7.0.2 update and your own troubleshooting, you were able to get things working again. I can't speak for any other developers, but the potential for weird issues goes up if you have multiple user accounts open when you're installing software. I'd recommend temporarily returning to having just one user "up" when making big changes like installations or deletions of shared applications.

• Brian_McCloskey
    Brian_McCloskey
    Community Member

I posted a similar problem (see "Safari extension won't work for two user system after 1P7 upgrade" on 30 May) but have had no response.
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled Extension 4.7.1 several times for both users on my Mac with no effect.
    When I upgraded there was only one user active (there is only one user account with full permissions).
    What do I try next?

• Jacob
    edited June 2018

@Brian_McCloskey Thanks for letting us know. To get a better idea of what the issue is, please create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

How to send a diagnostics report from your Mac

Attach the Diagnostics Reports to an email, and send it to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a confirmation number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• davidboone
    davidboone
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

The Safari extension worked in both of our partitions for a day. After updating to OS 10.13.5, the 1Password extension only works for the user in one partition. Not sure if the update broke the extension functionality again. I will also submit a diagnostic report to see if that can assist with troubleshooting.

When I click on the 1Password Safari extension button in the non working partition, nothing happens in that partition. Repeatedly clicking the extension button sometimes brings up a new tab that says the extension cannot communicate with 1Password. Sometimes it brings up a tab and indicates it is loading the extension. But then it still does not work.

If I return to the "working" partition after clicking the extension button in the non working partition, the Safari extension login dialogue window has been opened.

• Brian_McCloskey
    Brian_McCloskey
    Community Member

Diagnostics Report emailed back today. Confirmation number #DBE-93616-998

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Brian_McCloskey - thanks! Someone will be with you shortly.

ref: DBE-93616-998

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@davidboone - what version of 1Password 7 for Mac are you running currently?

• davidboone
    davidboone
    Community Member

Version 7.0.3

• davidboone
    davidboone
    Community Member

Still having the same issue in 7.0.4

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@davidboone - I see you've also contacted us via email; let's keep the conversation going over there, as this may include details of your specific 1Password setup that should not be on this public forum. Someone will be with you shortly.

ref: apple-1428

• davidboone
    davidboone
    Community Member

I am still awaiting the direct contact via email. Thank you

• Brian_McCloskey
    Brian_McCloskey
    Community Member

... and I am still awaiting any response to sending in the Diagnostics Report they asked for 2 weeks ago ....
    Agile support not looking very agile.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Brian_McCloskey - I'm sorry for the delay! This one's my fault; After David sent two replies to this thread that came in immediately after yours, looks like I replied to him and missed your response that you'd sent the email. We've had a tremendous surge of support questions and requests in the wake of the near-simultaneous launch of both 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Windows, and things can get a little crazy. My apologies for missing it. I've replied to your email; let's keep the conversation going that way.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@davidboone - I've replied to you via email as well.

This discussion has been closed.