Safari hang

This discussion was created from comments split from: Safari Extension Problem with 1Password 7 beta for Mac.

Comments

• InTheRealWorld
    InTheRealWorld
    Community Member

Since 1Password 7 stable has been released and is being pushed through auto update notifications, are there any updates on the Safari browser extension crashing? I can get it working again by closing and restarting Safari OR disabling the 1Password extension in Safari preferences and immediately reenabling it. I had to go back to version 6, because 7 crashes and stops working about every 5 minutes. When it is working, the interface is somewhat sluggish; clicks take a long time to respond, where they are instant in 6.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@InTheRealWorld: Can you elaborate? This is the Mac beta category of the forum, so I'll probably move this somewhere else, but I'm not sure what you're referring to. The browser extension cannot crash the web browser, as it is heavily sandboxed. It sounds like you may have a deeper issue than the extension.

• InTheRealWorld
    InTheRealWorld
    Community Member

The whole browser doesn't crash... it is the "Safari browser extension." The 1Password extension in Safari stops being responsive, and either won't open up when the toolbar icon is clicked on, or if it does open up, the login won't fill when clicked. I can get the 1Password Safari extension working again by closing and restarting Safari OR disabling the 1Password extension in Safari preferences and immediately reenabling it.

I thought this might be a relevant thread because similar issues were being discussed, and someone might know if this issue was remedied at the end of the beta phase. If this known issue of a "brittle" Safari extension has carried over to the stable version, I will wait until I go back to 7.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@InTheRealWorld: The experimental Safari App Extension was removed in beta 16 if I recall correctly, so no, it's not something that exists in 1Password currently.

If you're still having trouble, I'd like you to reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#WUH-14277-113]

If you’re reading this and you are not InTheRealWorld, this Support ID is for InTheRealWorld only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: WUH-14277-113

• InTheRealWorld
    InTheRealWorld
    Community Member

Is there a place to download the last version of 1Password 6 for Mac, in case 7 doesn't work well and I want to go back?

• InTheRealWorld
    InTheRealWorld
    Community Member

Nevermind, I found this:

1Password 6 for Mac Release Notes:
    https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM4

• InTheRealWorld
    InTheRealWorld
    Community Member

I did install 7 this morning, and then uninstalled it, due to the quirky mini editing function:

In 1Password 6, if you clicked EDIT while in mini, a new "always on top" window would open and stay open until clicked close, giving plenty of time to view or modify the info.

Now, the editing is done in the new centered mini window, and the view is severely restricted, as you can't see much at once and have to scroll.

Worse yet, if you modify info while editing in the new mini window, and click anywhere else on the screen, for example, back in your browser to grab more info to cut and paste, the mini window closes and changes are LOST. An accidental click or popup window elsewhere ca result in losing edits. Clicking save is required before clicking anywhere else, and then a new mini window has to be open and EDIT selected again, every time. The old persistent always on top window was much more useful. I don't see how any tester felt this was more efficient, or acceptable.

• Thanks for the feedback, @InTheRealWorld. 1Password mini shouldn't be losing any of your changes like that. I just tested a few things and wasn't able to reproduce the issues you mentioned with version 7.0.3. Going back to 1Password mini after leaving mid-edit will show the same popup as when you click Cancel during an edit:

If you give it a try in the future and this is still happening, let us know.

This discussion has been closed.