PIN strength meter heuristic suggestion

mfilej
mfilej
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Mac

Hi,

I really appreciate the new feature where 1Password doesn't display a strength meter for what it thinks are PIN codes. I would like to suggest a tiny change to the rule of what is a PIN code. From the release notes:

six characters or less in length, made up of all digits

Instead I'm suggesting: up to 8 characters and there can be spaces between digits.

I don't think it's unusual for PINs to be 8 digits long and I like to store them with spaces so that they are easier to enter.

Of course it would be even better if there was a special PIN field type that would handle the formatting for me (and a generator to go with it), but I understand if this is out of scope for the app.

Love the new version, keep up the good work!

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.1 (70001002)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4 (17E202)
Sync Type: 1Password account

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm not sure that heuristics are the best approach since there will always be edge cases. And of course there are other situations where you might want want Watchtower to ignore an item. So it might make more sense to allow users to manually exclude individual items. Definitely a number of different things to consider though, so than you for your suggestion and examples! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I wouldn't say "simply", as it would have to be added across all 7(!) different apps if we make a change like that, but it's worth considering for the future. You can always make a custom field to store a PIN even now though. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Definitely! But when there's still work to be done, I think it's best to underpromise. We'll see what we can do. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:chuffed: :+1:

• Physioz
    Physioz
    Community Member

Any chance of being able to increase the pin code length from 4 to 6 (possibly even 8) digits on the iOS/Android versions?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, as this is a discussion in the Mac category of the forum about how 1Password handles PIN codes which are saved in items. If you're asking about changes to PIN code lock for 1Password itself, we don't have any plans to do that, as devices made in recent years support a more secure option than numerical codes in the form of biometrics.

This discussion has been closed.