Change Master Password is grayed out

Rodney_H
Rodney_H
Community Member

On my iPad running 1Password 7.0.6, in Settings > Security, the field Change Master Password is grayed out. How do I change my master password?

Some context:

1. I just upgraded to a 1Password account, family style.
  2. Prior to upgrading, I had one Vault synced via iCloud. After upgrading, I still keep the local vault, but I also have the Private vault from my 1Password subaccount in the family group and the Shared vault from the coordinator account.
  3. Prior to upgrading, 1Password was using a Master Password of OldPwd (example, for purposes of discussion). OldPwd would unlock the app. This would be true on my iPad, my iPhone, and my Mac.
  4. After upgrading, my 1Password account has a Master Password of NewPwd.
  5. On the Mac, OldPwd would unlock the 1Password 7 7.01 app. This seemed wrong. So, I went to Preferences > Security > Change Master Password and changed it from OldPwd to NewPwd.
  6. On my iPhone, OldPwd would unlock the app. Again, this seemed wrong. Also, I'm surprised it didn't sync between the platforms. So, I went to Settings > Security > Change Master Password and changed it from OldPwd to NewPwd.
  7. On my iPad, OldPwd also unlocks the app. However, when I go to Settings > Security, the field Change Master Password is grayed out. How do I change my master password?

Thank-you for your time and efforts!

~Rodney

1Password Version: 7.0.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: 1Password Account, iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Change Master Password is grayed out

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @Rodney_H

OldPwd unlocks the app for a different reason than you think. The reason is because you kept the Standalone iCloud vault after doing the migration. As long as that vault still exists, OldPwd will be required. Is there a particular reason why you kept that old iCloud vault? It is rather superfluous now that you have a 1Password membership.

• Rodney_H
    Rodney_H
    Community Member

Thanks for replying, Corey_C,

I'm hanging on to the old iCloud vault on all my devices as a Plan B until trust is established in the 1Password membership.

You have not explained why I can change the Master Password on my iPhone, but not on my iPad.

~Rodney

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@Rodney_H

Sorry for the delay, I missed the response in the list. Even if you remove the iCloud vault from your devices, it will still remain in iCloud and you can re-add it at any time. Having that vault around tends to cause confusion and problems when using the membership.

As for the greyed-out "Change Master Password" button, does it say anything under it in the app as to why it is greyed out? There should be a message.

• Rodney_H
    Rodney_H
    Community Member

@Corey_C

The text below the greyed-out "Change Master Password" button is "Select a strong Master Password that only you know and keep it in a safe place."

As of this moment, this button is greyed on both my iPad and my iPhone. Yesterday, it was enabled on the iPhone.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hmm, try something for me @Rodney_H. Tap the categories button. In the top left should be a rainbow circle (or a 1Password icon) Tap it and select the Primary vault. Then go and see if the Master Password option is still greyed out.

• Rodney_H
    Rodney_H
    Community Member

@Corey_C That works! Didn’t realize that the upper right 1Password icon was an active element. I was attempting to control which vault was selected through Settings > Vault.

• Thanks for the update. That should do it then. Please note that this does not change your 1Password.com acccount Master Password in this scenario. It only changes the Master Password for the Primary vault, which is the Master Password that is used to unlock any devices that have a Primary vault. You may need to make the change on each device (this is not the case when you do not have a Primary vault and are using 1Password.com exclusively).

Ben

This discussion has been closed.