easy way to update passwords that Watchtower tells me need updating

cbales
cbales
Community Member

Hi.

I'm looking for a "click here to update these 20 passwords" button Yes it would probably require a lot of magic, and mind reading, but it's what I am looking for.

The last time I tried to update a password that I used in 1Password on my iPhone at the end of the process I had to recover my missing password. Probably I made a mistake, probably i need to watch the video. BUT anytime it takes a video to describe a feature then the feature needs more work.

I found a couple of items in the knowledgeable - one from 2014, and one from last year - and I don't think the workflow is much better than then.

Wish me luck.

1Password Version: 7.0.1
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: 1Password.com
Referrer: forum-search:easy way to update passwords that Watchtower tells me need updating

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @cbales

While we don't like to say never around here, that is something that I'm afraid would be rather unlikely. 1Password has no access to your actual accounts and developing a way to have it automatically change your passwords for various websites is not something that could really be implemented in any sort of stable way.

The problem here is that every website is coded differently and they all have different ways of changing passwords. Not only would 1Password require more access to your information than we really want to give it in order to accomplish this, the process to change the password would have to be developed for each individual website. There is also no guarantee it would work. Say that you tried to do this automatic process and it succeeded on one end but failed on the other. You now have a password that you do not know protecting your various accounts, leaving you locked out.

For both your privacy and due to the lack of stability an automatic option would have, manual password changes are still the way to go.

• cbales
    cbales
    Community Member

Yeah, I know it's up at the epic scale, not the quick win scale. I have to hope. thanks for the replies today!

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

My pleasure. :)

This discussion has been closed.