1P7 mini - too many clicks, confusing layout

Options
Bmuse
Bmuse
Community Member

Hello! Just upgraded to 7. I love the look overall! But -- I find the new Mini browser extension more difficult to use.

Usability
The first item that appears, "Suggested Items," shows the site's icon and URL. This looks like what you would click on. Previously, clicking on this item would fill the form, or hovering would show related logins in a fly-out menu.

But now, clicking on the "Suggested Item" does nothing -- nothing happens. And you still have to look under the "RELATED PASSWORDS" on the right and click again on an item there.

Also, things that were accessible via hovering before, now require clicks? This adds a lot of user friction:

• Clicking an item replaces what's in the main/right pane.
  • You then have to click out to get back to whatever you had open.
  • It was much smoother when related logins, etc would just appear and I could mouse over to select them.

Visually
Everything is very small and crowded. And RELATED PASSWORDS are crammed together with IDENTITIES and CREDIT CARDS as well, even though you can also get to those from the left pane? This makes everything on the right side run together -- it's all small text with tiny icons. Password entries don't stand out at all.

Before, I was able to log in with two swift clicks -- one on the 1P icon, another right below on the first login item. But the new version is visually confusing and, to me, unnecessarily frustrating to use.

If I'm missing something, please let me know. I've used 1P since the early days, and this is the first time I've been truly annoyed with the app.

Thanks,
B

1Password Version: 7.0.1
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Bmuse - thanks for weighing in. If speed-of-login is your primary concern, using the keyboard command ⌘\ (command + backslash) is the best way to do that. For websites where you have only one saved Login item, it will fill your information without any other input from you at all. On sites where you have multiple (or none), you'll get the mini pop-up, which will then allow you to select the item you need from the top of the menu, where Login items are always sorted.

Part of what you're experiencing here may just be the fact that the mini has changed, for the first time in quite a long time indeed (other than cosmetically). Part of the new behavior is a function of additions to its functionality that were made due to feedback from users who rarely if ever want or need to open the main 1Password app and conduct virtually all of their interface with the app in the context of the mini. Hence the expanded functionality. However, I'm uncertain about at least one of your concerns:

Before, I was able to log in with two swift clicks -- one on the 1P icon, another right below on the first login item. But the new version is visually confusing and, to me, unnecessarily frustrating to use. If I'm missing something, please let me know.

Let's use the New York Times as an example. If you have only one login, whether in 1Password 6 for Mac or 1Password 7 for Mac, using the keyboard shortcut gets you immediately into the site. If you have more than one Login item for the NYT, clicking on the 1Password extension button in the browser toolbar will pop open the mini. And, in both cases, if you mouse-over your choice and then click, the item is filled. I'm not sure how that's different, except for visually. The "Suggested Items" icon isn't intended to be an item itself; it's merely the selected category that's chosen by default when you are on a site. The other categories are below, in the left column, instead of underneath like they were in the previous iteration of 1Password 6's mini.

This discussion has been closed.