[BUG?] Removing empty field

Options
sdaniel55
sdaniel55
Community Member

I've created a new Server item and it had a few unnecessary fields that I wanted to remove. However, there is no option for that. Is this intentional? I think if a field doesn't have a label and value, it should be removed.

1Password Version: 7.0.2 (70002000)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4 (17E202)
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Removing a field

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hi @sdaniel! Sorry about the confusion. If you plan to only use some fields in an item, its default fields won't be included when you save the item – simply leave them blank and save the item, then you won't see them as a part of it. You can remove custom fields by clicking the button shown in the screenshot you posted.

• sdaniel55
    sdaniel55
    Community Member
    Options

I can see that it won’t be visible, but when I edit it, they’re still there. If they can’t be deleted, maybe make the label not editable? (I’ve deleted the labels of the field and I have no idea what they were. Now I’m stuck with a bunch of empty fields.)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sdaniel55 thanks for the suggestion. We're always looking for ways to improve 1Password, and it may be that there's something we can do here. These fields won't ever be removed, however, so it would have to be something involving hiding or freezing unused fields.

• sdaniel55
    sdaniel55
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Sounds like a solution. :) Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• plandolt
    plandolt
    Community Member
    Options

I face the same problem. I created a server item and do not need all of the predefined elements but I only can clear the labels so it wont show up after saving. But then when editing I have many of those emtpy fields there I cannot remove. Also I cannot reorder segments. I thought that was possible in 1p6?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@plandolt: Sorry for the confusion there. It's never been possible to reorder default template information, though it may be something we can make possible in the future. You can however, move a custom field you create. In 1Password 7, there will be a drag handle on the left side of the field after you've finished editing it. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• plandolt
    plandolt
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @brenty for the clarification about reordering of sections. DX wise I‘d love to see that coming in the future.

But the other issue still stands. One cant remove or change type of predefined fields. I like havibg a seperate icon for e.g. The server template. But I do not need ll the predefined fields there. And while in edit mode thise just cluther the form. I hipe this will be adressed too.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@plandolt - we'll certainly pass along your ideas to the development team. :)

This discussion has been closed.