Really not at all liking the new 1Password 7 Mini (and browser extensions)

Options
ljc1423
ljc1423
Community Member

Hey folks! Just thought I'd leave some feedback here - Great job on 1Password 7 overall. It does some great stuff, and is a solid upgrade, however I'm really finding it a struggle to use the new 1Password 7 Mini and browser extensions effectively.

Primarily, it's way, way too big, and by extension, it is also in the wrong place on the screen. Its older behavior of appearing directly below the mini icon or the extension button was far more efficient in terms of mouse movement required to actually do work. I find it's taking 3x or more longer to use it now, even after taking a week or so to familiarize myself with the new interface. I know I can move it around, similar to the Spotlight box, but that is also not ideal, again, because it doesn't account for where the icon was clicked - e.g. clicking from a tiny browser window on the upper left of the screen should result in a mini interface right there.

Hope you find that helpful. Keep up the great work!

1Password Version: 7.0.2
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4 (17E202)
Sync Type: Teams

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @ljc1423

Thanks for the feedback. The new mini is a major redesign, so it does take some time to get used to, but there are definitely things that can be improved. I'll pass your feedback along. :)

• richeldecos
    richeldecos
    Community Member
    Options

I agree. The biggest problem is the location. It makes no sense to click a button in the top right, then have to move your mouse to the center to continue.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the feedback @richeldecos. :)

• kbussell
    kbussell
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, chiming in to +1 the comments above. This is particularly difficult when I move my browser window to another monitor. The 1password popup sometimes(?) shows on the previous monitor.

Thanks for listening!

• DriverDon
    DriverDon
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

I'm gonna +1 for the old behaviour being more useful. Now even when my browser (Safari) is closed, if I click on the Mini icon on the menubar, mini opens up to the far left upper of the screen as if it is opening up under the extension in Safari. I realize I can drag it to the menubar but then I will have the opposite behaviour if I click the Safari Extension, it will appear below the menubar and not the extension. Having it appear below which one you click, is far more streamlined and efficient. That fix would go great with it as the new Mini is a good looking upgrade otherwise.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the feedback everyone. We greatly appreciate it and will pass it along.

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    Options

FYI ... you can move the new “mini” window to wherever you want and it’ll remember it’s place. You have to grab it just so when unlocked. But you have a much larger drag target when it’s still locked.

• kbussell
    kbussell
    Community Member
    Options

Dragging the mini window is fine if you only want it in one place. It's not as useful when you have multiple browser windows open across different monitors.

• InTheRealWorld
    InTheRealWorld
    Community Member
    Options

I do like some of the new functionality in 1Password 7 mini. I did prefer the opening at the point of clicking, but I like the larger view with more information and logins shown, as opposed to the old smaller window. The search function in the new mini seems more robust, and configurable.

The more poignant issue to me is how the editing function now works in the mini window...

Before, if you clicked EDIT while in mini, a new "always on top" window would open and stay open until clicked close, giving plenty of time to view or modify the info.

Now, the editing is done in the new centered mini window, and the view is severely restricted, as you can't see much at once and have to scroll.

Worse yet, if you modify info while editing in the new mini window, and click anywhere else on the screen, for example, back in your browser to grab more info to cut and paste, the mini window closes and changes are LOST. An accidental click or popup window elsewhere ca result in losing edits. Clicking save is required before clicking anywhere else, and then a new mini window has to be open and EDIT selected again, every time. The old persistent always on top window was much more useful. I don't see how any tester felt this was more efficient, or acceptable.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

@InTheRealWorld

Thanks for the feedback. The new mini was a major redesign to help fulfill a common request to make the mini more capable. The redesign is not necessarily complete, though. We are still listening to all of your feedback so we can continue to improve on the design. Thank you to everyone for writing in. :)

• InTheRealWorld
    InTheRealWorld
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the attention. It looks like the new 7 mini app is on a great track, and I look forward to developments in the future. Until then, glad 6 works so well!

• armen52
    armen52
    Community Member
    Options

The new mini interface is a huge regression in speed and ease of use. I was forced to downgrade within an hour of upgrading.

Of the many regressions, the most-glaring one was the removal of the username context when there are multiple logins for the same site/name, e.g. multiple Google logins showing the username in light gray text next to them. The v7 mini interface lacks this context making the list just a wall of duplicate-looking logins. It baffles me how you could drop such a critical usability feature and consider it an enhancement.

You need to seriously revisit and reconsider the changes you made to the new Mini. It was worse in almost every way compared to the version in v6.

• Jacob
    Options

@armen52 Thanks for sharing the experience! The username issue is one we're working on, so I'll let the team know you asked about it. Hope you decide to give 1Password 7 a try again down the road!

ref: apple-1264

• t_s_b
    t_s_b
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on the above feedback.

• Browser extension is way to big for my liking, even at its smallest re-size.
    • Non-relative positioning to the browser is a major regression.
  • Jordan Zimmerman
    Jordan Zimmerman
    Community Member
    Options

In addition to the comments above, the new mini dialog takes a lot longer to display than previous versions. There is a noticeable 1-2 second lag on my MBP (16GB!) when I press CMD-\

• benjohnson
    benjohnson
    Community Member
    Options

+1. Longtime power user of 1P across multiple devices. I tried to like 1P7 but I gave up after a week. The 1P6 mini window was about as simple and convenient as I could imagine. The new mini window, from a UX perspective, is a real head scratcher. It takes up too much screen real estate, shows information I don't care about (Identities on a basic site login?), I can't reorder categories of items, etc.

I also can't seem to fill logins (Chrome) without submitting, like I could with 1P6. I like to do this as a safety measure to make sure that 1P doesn't unintentionally fill/send my email or password on a site's newsletter form, which I've seen happen.

Please rethink the 1P7 mini design. Simple is best in this case.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jordan Zimmerman: My MacBook Pro with 16GB is pretty old (2014) and I'm not seeing anything like that. If you're still this problem, let me know and we'll investigate.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

+1. Longtime power user of 1P across multiple devices. I tried to like 1P7 but I gave up after a week. The 1P6 mini window was about as simple and convenient as I could imagine. The new mini window, from a UX perspective, is a real head scratcher. It takes up too much screen real estate, shows information I don't care about (Identities on a basic site login?), I can't reorder categories of items, etc.

@benjohnson: Thanks for the feedback! While it's never been possible to reorder categories in 1Password mini, perhaps that's something we can do down the road since the new mini design is more flexible than the old one. I'm not sure how it does harm that it's larger though, especially since that enables people to to do more with it, as many folks use 1Password mini almost exclusively. We'll continue to refine the design over time though. :chuffed:

I also can't seem to fill logins (Chrome) without submitting, like I could with 1P6. I like to do this as a safety measure to make sure that 1P doesn't unintentionally fill/send my email or password on a site's newsletter form, which I've seen happen.

That's not normal. If you're still having these problems, please start a new discussion in the browser filling category with the details so we can investigate.

Please rethink the 1P7 mini design. Simple is best in this case.

I don't think we're going to go back to something like 1Password 6, if that's what you mean. While there is certainly room for improvement, we don't have to give up the utility to make it better. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@t_s_b: Thanks for sharing your preferences. We'll continue to evaluate feedback from everyone as we develop future versions. :)

• Jordan Zimmerman
    Jordan Zimmerman
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I realize now that it's mostly now all the new animation. If I'm already logged in and there's only 1 possible password it's fine. But if the new popup window needs to display that's where the delays are. For first log in you see all this animation which is pretty but takes time. Then when it switches to the password view that also takes time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jordan Zimmerman: The animation is intentionally there not just to look pretty, but also to make it clear to the user that something is happening. Otherwise people will think that the app is unresponsive while crypto operations are happening. If we can make that faster in subsequent updates though, we will. Cheers! :)

• richeldecos
    richeldecos
    Community Member
    Options

By the way, I realize that you can drag the mini and move it to where you would like. I move it to the top right corner...

However, if I then move my browser window (which I do frequently), then it is out of position again. It would be nice if it stored the position relative to the browser window. That way if I move the window, the mini moves with it.

But as somebody else mentioned above, that still doesn't help with multiple monitors. It would be best just to change this behavior back to the old version

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

A lot of people (myself included) really appreciate not having 1Password mini tethered (like Spotlight), and it's been a long-standing request. But it's something we can consider, along with the feedback we receive from others as well. Thanks for letting us know your preference! :)

• rlh
    rlh
    Community Member
    Options

It seems like one (obvious?) solution would be to have 1Password mini pop up right under the mouse cursor location. That way I'm always just a few pixels away from what I was hoping to click on.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

"Obvious" perhaps, but it's never that easy, is it? ;) It sounds like a good idea, but every app that I've had which behaved that way had noticeable performance issues due to polling the mouse position. In one case I was able to disable that behavior, and things were much more responsive. There may also be other reasons why most apps don't do this, but that's one I've run into time and time again. If there's a way to avoid the pitfalls that might be nice though. :)

• derek328
    derek328
    Community Member
    Options

I'm definitely against polling mouse location for the 1Password mini popup. it doesn't make sense from a performance perspective, and frankly speaking - violates basic UX design guidelines too.

can we get a basic option that allow us to pick between "Appear Upon Pointer" or "Appear at Last Location"? :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@derek328: It's likely that 1Password mini will simply appear in the center of the screen in the future, or remember its position if you move it somewhere else, sidestepping the whole thing. :)

• derek328
    derek328
    Community Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

@brenty yes! as a UX PM myself, i think the most proven way forward is to use the last saved location. having it popup in the center of the screen is quite inconsistent, especially for those with dual monitors (a common office setup). of course, the best would be to have an option box for us!

any ideas if this fix can be in this coming patch with the other UX fixes (namely the battery-eating blue hue at the 1Password lock screen?)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@derek328: Well, I'd argue that always showing up in the center is consistent...but I agree that it's nice to be able to reposition it. ;) We don't have anything to announce in this area as we're focused on under-the-hood improvements right now. But 1Password mini will be getting an overhaul later on to make it more powerful and flexible in this and other ways. :)

This discussion has been closed.