The new "we aren't telling you how much 1Password costs anymore" policy stinks

BrBill
BrBill
Community Member

In another discussion, @Ben writes:

Standalone licenses aren’t advertised anymore. We strongly feel that membership is going to provide the best experience for most customers, especially those wishing to share with their families.

You have a product that is for sale. You should say how much it costs before I install it. What world is this? What has happened to AgileBits? I feel like I'm in the movie The World's End, being surprised by replacements of the original people who only look the same on the outside.

I've been a faithful customer for a long time, paying for each update as it comes along, and I was even ready to upgrade to 1Password 7 although there wasn't going to be an upgrade discount.

But the number of bugs being reported in 1Pv7 and your continued insistence that YOU HAVING MY PASSWORD INFO ON YOUR SERVERS IS BETTER FOR ME? Who is this really?

Super disappointed in y'all right now. I don't fear change, but I hate obtuseness.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You have a product that is for sale. You should say how much it costs before I install it. What world is this? What has happened to AgileBits?

@BrBill: We do, both for macOS and Windows, not only when we launched them officially, but also two months ago when we announced the public betas. The full price also hasn't changed recently, so it's the same as it was two years ago, the last time we released a new version.

I feel like I'm in the movie The World's End, being surprised by replacements of the original people who only look the same on the outside.

The end of the world has been significantly over-hyped. ;)

I've been a faithful customer for a long time, paying for each update as it comes along, and I was even ready to upgrade to 1Password 7 although there wasn't going to be an upgrade discount.

We are offering a launch special, if that helps. :)

But the number of bugs being reported in 1Pv7 and your continued insistence that YOU HAVING MY PASSWORD INFO ON YOUR SERVERS IS BETTER FOR ME? Who is this really?

Nobody's insisting anything. And guess what: 1Password 6 had bugs too, though it's easy to forget them after they've been fixed. Many people are also happy to have encrypted data (to which only they have the keys) stored on our servers since it allows the to seamlessly access it across all of their devices, to share with loved ones securely and easily, and always have an offsite backup of their most important data. But those who don't want these things still use the standalone 1Password apps. You can too. :chuffed:

Super disappointed in y'all right now. I don't fear change, but I hate obtuseness.

Me too. Can you clarify the trouble you're having? We still offer both standalone licenses and 1Password.com memberships, so I'm not sure I understand the difficulty. If you have any questions, let us know!

• BrBill
    BrBill
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

@brenty: Well, here's at least some obtuseness: I say "I should be able to know how much it costs before I install the software", and the reply is, "we announced the price in press releases for the public beta". There shouldn't an expectation that I'm scouring the press releases for public betas. If I ask, then I should just get an answer. That's good customer service.

I will be upgrading to v7 someday. Offering the launch special (where is it announced?) is cool. But it looks like I buy it when I launch it, and although 30 days might be enough for you to work out enough of the current issues for me, I would rather buy it without having to install it first, because if I upgrade while it's broken, then so am I. My scenario involves at least 5 macs and it looks like there are at least some vault problems with a mixed v6/v7 environment, based on the issues I see raised in the community. I need to wait those out.

As you mention, the license cost info is available here: https://blog.agilebits.com/2018/05/22/1password-7-for-mac-the-best-ever/ , although the dates of the promotional "launch special" are not shared.

@brenty, would you kindly direct me to where I can find out the date range of the launch special? With exact details please?

Quality Osborne reference, well done. I may be grumpy but I'm not a grouch.

Thanks,
    Bill

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Well, here's at least some obtuseness: I say "I should be able to know how much it costs before I install the software", and the reply is, "we announced the price in press releases for the public beta". There shouldn't an expectation that I'm scouring the press releases for public betas. If I ask, then I should just get an answer. That's good customer service.

@BrBill: Yep. You asked; you got an answer. Certainly not everyone in the world looks at our website first before contacting us to ask a question. That's okay. It's what we're here for. :)

I will be upgrading to v7 someday. Offering the launch special (where is it announced?) is cool. But it looks like I buy it when I launch it, and although 30 days might be enough for you to work out enough of the current issues for me, I would rather buy it without having to install it first, because if I upgrade while it's broken, then so am I. My scenario involves at least 5 macs and it looks like there are at least some vault problems with a mixed v6/v7 environment, based on the issues I see raised in the community. I need to wait those out.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here, but you have two clear options as far as I can tell:

• Try 1Password 7 now; use it if it suits you, or revert to version 6 if it doesn't.
    • Wait until some point in the future to try it.

It's totally up to you. :)

As you mention, the license cost info is available here: https://blog.agilebits.com/2018/05/22/1password-7-for-mac-the-best-ever/ , although the dates of the promotional "launch special" are not shared.

So, let's just back up a second here and stop to recognize that your original concern was, "You have a product that is for sale. You should say how much it costs before I install it." So it's acknowledge that 1Password 7 is for sale, and the pricing is right there on our website in the link you referenced along with a lot of detail on what it includes and a link to the app itself.

@brenty, would you kindly direct me to where I can find out the date range of the launch special? With exact details please?

There is no exact date range. Like any limited time special, if you get it while it's available, it's yours. If you wait, you might miss it. That's kind of the point.

Quality Osborne reference, well done. I may be grumpy but I'm not a grouch.

Thank you kindly. :chuffed:

• BrBill
    BrBill
    Community Member

@brenty: I got the blog link from you. I literally stole it from your previous post. That's why I said, "as you mention". A blog link's not as good as a posted price on the product page, but I'll take it, because it is what I asked for.

And the deadline for the special is a secret. Got it, don't like it, but I've got it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BrBill: Ah sorry, you're right: I misunderstood. Indeed, perhaps not what you were hoping for, but the information is there for anyone who wants it, and we're happy to point people in the right direction too.

In case you're curious about the reason for all of this, previously we showed both options — license and subscription — side by side, for over a year, both on the website, and in the apps during setup. It was a disaster. It feels super busy now, and new releases can always be a bit crazy, but the thing is, with even less going on in the way of major updates during that time period, the number of messages we saw then make the dual Windows/Mac version 7 releases this past month seem quiet. We spent the better part of that year just trying to get back to everyone, and after making adjustments to the presentation in the apps and site — pricing, feature comparison, FAQs (plural) — it wasn't until we changed it to roughly the way it is now that things calmed down. We finally decided that since 1Password.com memberships are the best option for most people, the apps and website should focus on that.

Pretty much anyone who prefers a license will dispute that this is a good idea, and at first we thought that too. But the facts speak for themselves: overwhelmingly, the messages we received from people were along the lines of "I purchased a license, but 1Password won't work on all of my devices. What gives?" Thousands. So, since we were giving those people credits and helping people move to 1Password.com memberships anyway, it made a lot of sense to save ourselves and our customers a lot of extra work (back and forth via email, etc.) So, today, the pricing page on 1Password.com reflects pricing for 1Password.com. New users get the option that's best for most people by default, and anyone already using 1Password with a standalone license and local vaults who wants to continue to do so can find the pricing in our announcements for these releases that go over what's new, and when upgrading from right within the app. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's a heck of a lot better than the state of things for that longest of years.

We have also had a similar problem in the past with folks trying to figure out upgrade pricing, so we've simplified things by offering a launch special to everyone. Again, perhaps not what everyone wants, but it's helped reduce a lot of confusion and frustration. Anyway, thanks for being so passionate about 1Password! Even if we have to agree to disagree on some things, I think it comes from the same place. :)

This discussion has been closed.