Downgrade link from 1Password 7 to 6

Options

Comments

• ginnySL
    ginnySL
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, are you saying that the 7.2 has gone back to the mini for the Mac? Can you share a screen print? I don't want to upgrade if I'm going to have go through the hassle of downgrading it again. Thanks - Ginny

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ginnySL - I'm sorry, I don't understand your question. Can you elaborate or restate, please? 1Password for Mac has always had a mini.

• ginnySL
    ginnySL
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars, in your previous message, you said, "With respect to the mini, yes, that was definitely changed in 1Password 7 for Mac...but it hasn't change in the 7.2 update." I wasn't sure if the mini was the smaller display that was used in 6 or still the big screen hog in 7. This is the main reason that I keep going back to 6.

• Ben
    Options

@ginnySL

Mini is (still) larger in v7 than v6. I’m not aware of any plans to change that at this point, but we do appreciate the feedback and will take that into consideration as we plan changes for the future.

Ben

• atomicmit
    atomicmit
    Community Member
    Options

Really not happy with the update. NO WARNING THAT ALL OLD MACS HAVE TO BE UPGRADED AS WELL to 10.12. This is always a CRITICAL reminder. People can't always upgrade for millions of reasons but usually for mission critical software reasons. You deleted my old agilekeychain vault and there was no warning that it would be deleted. I had to find it and restore it. This is absolutely unacceptable. people need to be given a way to GO BACK TO THE OLD VERSION WITHOUT ISSUE.

Oh and I'd like a refund please have someone reach out to me.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @atomicmit! I'm sorry you weren't happy with 1Password. Which update are you referring to? I'd like to try to assist you if I can - and you're willing - but if you'd just prefer a refund, then please contact sales@1password.com and one of the sales team should be able to assist you. Please include a link to your post here so they can "connect the dots." Thanks. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@atomicmit: And just to clarify, there is nothing in a 1Password update that necessitates changing your OS, and even if you convert your data from an old vault format to a newer one the original is still there — unless you deleted it.

• atomicmit
    atomicmit
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars. I’m talking about the 1Password I just downloaded a couple days ago.

We can’t upgrade the other computer currently. It’s an adobe illustrator Windows XP font issue which runs through Parallels. I don’t expect you to have planned for that. I do expect software companies to think ahead about other machines that might also need to be upgraded if they’re all synchronizing to the same database. Especially when the database is upgraded!

Additionally – one password7 told me that I was not using 2 factor of auth on a web service for which I am using it. I don’t know where 1P7 is getting its information from but I find it somewhat creepy that you seem to think you can tell which websites are using 2 Factor Auth

I will contact the sales department.

• atomicmit
    atomicmit
    Community Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Sorry but 1P7 needs 10.12. The old 1Password won’t sync to the new vault. Can’t run 1p7 on old machine = can’t run on new machine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks Lars. I’m talking about the 1Password I just downloaded a couple days ago. We can’t upgrade the other computer currently. It’s an adobe illustrator Windows XP font issue which runs through Parallels. I don’t expect you to have planned for that. I do expect software companies to think ahead about other machines that might also need to be upgraded if they’re all synchronizing to the same database. Especially when the database is upgraded!

@atomicmit: Indeed, we don't plan around running OSes from nearly two decades ago which are no longer supported by their owner. But 1Password for Windows version 4 does run just fine on XP, and can also use the same vault format current versions use.

Additionally – one password7 told me that I was not using 2 factor of auth on a web service for which I am using it. I don’t know where 1P7 is getting its information from but I find it somewhat creepy that you seem to think you can tell which websites are using 2 Factor Auth

Not creepy at all, and fairly straightforward: 1Password only has the information you've given it. If its information is incorrect or incomplete, then it will be wrong about that. For example, the only way 1Password knows that you have two-factor authentication enabled for a login is if you've saved a TOTP secret in it to use to generate the codes. 1Password will tell you about logins for websites which are known to support two-factor authentication (using the twofactorauth.org database) when you haven't set that up in 1Password.

I will contact the sales department.

Okay! :)

Sorry but 1P7 needs 10.12. The old 1Password won’t sync to the new vault. Can’t run 1p7 on old machine = can’t run on new machine.

I don't think so. Unless you're running a version of 1Password for Mac from nearly a decade ago, you'll be able to use OPVault, which is required by version 7, across all of your Macs and other devices running recent versions of 1Password. If you need help with that please let me know the details.

• atomicmit
    atomicmit
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. We run XP virtually to use illustrator only. We can’t upgrade the Mac OS now is my point. We are in the middle of a project and can’t risk something breaking. I tried to install 1P7 on that Mac that uses parallels (which costs $60 or so to upgrade). and we cant upgrade to 1P7 until the Mac is at 10.12. What software devs need to understand is that there are many unforeseen reasons people can’t upgrade. Sometimes it is a chain of events and ends up costing a lot more than just the $50 you charge including a ton of time. Sometimes people have to buy more modern computers also. There should be a warning for all users that all Macs needs to be at 10.12 topupgrade to 1P7. PEOPLE OWN MORE THAN ONE COMPUTER THESE DAYS ALSO. WE OWN 5. If old 1p can use op vault how is this the first time I hear of it? Where was the pop up information about this? We have 2 kids and work long hours like many people and don’t have time for upgrades to cause issues of any kind. We need critical information displayed in painfully obvious ways so we don’t miss it. Where was the info on the old Mac When I tried to install 1Password seven that told me that I need to stay in one password six but I can still synchronize with the new version of the database that one password might have created on another machine if I own one.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I hear you, but security has to be our priority. If compatibility with legacy software is yours, that's fine, but that comes with tradeoffs, of which I'm sure you're aware.

I couldn't tell you why you've never heard of OPVault before. It was mentioned during the upgrade/conversation process, but not everyone reads it. If you need help with that, let me know. It's been around for a long time (longer than I remembered, actually):

https://support.1password.com/opvault-overview/

But certainly not everyone is interested in the minutiae of file formats. Like you mentioned, there's other stuff to take care of. :)

• peppetv4
    peppetv4
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for links to v6!

1Password is an amazing product, but v7 is just a huge step back. Lots of bugs, generally slower and harder to use. Examples: The password field doesn't work (the gear icon doesnt appear until after save. To save you have to enter someting in the field first), the "copy field" sometimes doesn't work at all - all fields in item frozen. The decision to not use standard macOS UI is weird, the app is a lot harder to navigate now.

Thanks for all your efforts, will try to upgrade again in a couple of months. But for now it's just to much hassle.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for links to v6!

:) :+1:

1Password is an amazing product, but v7 is just a huge step back. Lots of bugs, generally slower and harder to use. Examples: The password field doesn't work (the gear icon doesnt appear until after save. To save you have to enter someting in the field first), the "copy field" sometimes doesn't work at all - all fields in item frozen.

Those don't sound like anything I can reproduce. I'd love to know the specifics though to see if there's something we can improve.

The decision to not use standard macOS UI is weird, the app is a lot harder to navigate now.

1Password hasn't used "standard macOS UI" since version 2, so I'm not sure why you're only mentioning this now. ;)

Thanks for all your efforts, will try to upgrade again in a couple of months. But for now it's just to much hassle.

I'm sorry to hear that, but glad to hear that you're willing to give it another try. If you'll let us know the details of what you're looking for, while I can't promise anything, we can certainly take your feedback into consideration as we develop future versions. Thanks! :)

• plufz
    plufz
    Community Member
    Options

I have many of the issues peppetv4 writes about. I usually really like your product too but this release has been buggy and sluggish for months now. I think your focus should be stability more than features. I'm sure you have a serious process for securing the product but UI bugs makes me as a user question the security of the app aswell. For example it doesn't go a day without issues with the copy-button. Since we (the users) want to have the latest version for security reasons, the latest version needs to always be stable, or atleast the bugfixes needs to be rapid.

This on macos high sierra, I have been waiting a bit on mojave because I like my software stable. Have you stopped testing on High Sierra or is it supposed to work here?

• Hi there @plufz. I'm sorry for the trouble you (and others) are running into with 1Password 7. We are in the middle of some modifications to 1Password mini that should address much of the feedback. It's still under development and we don't have anything to show publicly, but we are working on it.

• peppetv4
    peppetv4
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Yeah, that was a lazy description: A major UI overhaul further away from standard macOS appearance, without any obvious improvements in usability. But hey, you're the experts and this is just my opinion. This is not a first day rage post, I've been using v6 and v7 simultaneously for the last months. My main issue is the field bugs.

Here is a screen recording of the password field bug 1P v7.2.1 (70201002) on High Sierra: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yx9qwzz2u4nhh6v/password-field-gear-bug.mov?dl=0

Yeah, I had to upgrade again to record it! :)

@MrRooni great! Will that address the performance issues?

• plufz
    plufz
    Community Member
    Options

@MrRooni great to hear! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• @peppetv4 It should. 🙂

• edoriv
    edoriv
    Community Member
    Options

I also came looking for a way to downgrade - I purchased the 7 upgrade but honestly the UI / UX is cumbersome compared to 6.x
    Rather unhappy but my own faultier not downloading the demo first.

It's sad that you also state that security wise you recommend only the latest version. Maybe in some future version the UI will come closer to the way it was in version 6. Maybe give option in settings for an old vs new appearance.

• susanO2
    susanO2
    Community Member
    Options

I just joined the forum after searching for how to downgrade from 7 to 6. I've trusted 1Password for maybe 10-12 years now and have purchased family licenses several times just to reinforce my support, with my $, for an excellent product. So when 7 came around I upgraded since 7 is obviously better than 6 right? Not right...I've experienced the bugs/glitches posted here and 7.2.2 seems OK now. However, all my folders are gone and replaced with tags and now I have no idea how to make sure that my logical folder arrangement still exists. I'm not a fan of "search interfaces" like this new GUI, I like mousing to my "work" folder for my work notes/logins and my "travel" folder for travel notes and so on. I also find some of the comments from moderators here to be disingenuous such as (paraphrase) "we have a lot of customers so somebody will dislike something we change." In fact, I've never joined the forum for support - I've always emailed - usually every 2-3 years for a licensing issue on new Macs. I've always had positive and prompt responses to my emails but the last 6-12 months I've noticed serious attitude differences and no longer do I expect responses to my emails. Delivering support only via user forums is the kind of poor support you get with freeware - not paid-for software. Anyway, I like 1Password 6 and will take one of my Macs and see if I can get my latest opvault file to work with it as a trial before I convert my main productivity Mac back to 6. I'm sorry to say that I no longer trust 1Password enough to trust that it will just work. If anyone knows of a similar app built on the same principles as 1Password was originally please post it here, I, for one, will gladly pay for another app as good as 1Password used to be.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @edoriv! I'm sorry to hear the new version isn't to your liking. However, at the risk of upsetting @susanO2, I'll repeat that we've got a user base large enough now that literally any decision will delight some people and annoy others. I've had numerous days when - in the same day - I've answered two different email tickets or forum posts from two customers asking for literally the opposite of one another. Which one would you suggest we disappoint? We do try to square that circle as often as we can by trying to keep in mind what we think is the best approach overall as well as the feedback from the majority of users. As our lead Apple team developer, mrrooni mentioned earlier in this thread we are in the midst of some modifications to 1Password mini which incorporates both what we've learned and also some user feedback. It's not quite as simple as just a toggle to switch between "old way" and "new way," since the underlying functionality is quite different as well, not just the appearance.

It's sad that you also state that security wise you recommend only the latest version.

To be as clear as possible for not only you but anyone else reading this thread in the future, we don't recommend people keep up to date with macOS and 1Password because we suspect (or we know) older versions of 1Password are no longer secure. That's not the case; the encryption that keeps your data private and secure is not at risk in any way we're aware of. But what happens when a new full-version of 1Password is released is that older versions stop receiving development attention. This is the way virtually all licensed software works: new full versions are released periodically which not only debut new features and advances of the app itself, but also take into account "under the hood" changes in related technologies and the OSes on which it runs. This is true even of incremental updates (such as from 7.1 to 7.2, etc) -- they contain numerous adjustments and fixes, both that you can see and that you can't easily see. For an example of what can - and eventually, given enough time, will - go wrong for users who elect to stay on long-outdated versions, see this thread in our iOS forum.

When we say "as a security company," we're not speaking exclusively about encryption and potential "hacking" of your data. We're concerned with the overall integrity and usability of the data people entrust to our app, and that includes things like being unable to access it, not because it was hacked or cracked or stolen, but because the simple passage of time and the reluctance or forgetfulness to upgrade caused a significant-enough incompatibility that the data is unrecoverable. That's also part of what we mean when we say "security."

Anyway, to reiterate, alterations to the mini are indeed in progress. If you've got specific suggestions that you don't see already asked here previously, we'd love to hear them and might potentially incorporate those as well into the ongoing work. Thanks! :)

• susanO2
    susanO2
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars, I'm not upset at all, just disappointed to see such a great product and company succumb to the latest awful trends in this industry. I no longer trust 1Password like I used to, 1Password7 crashed again today (diags sent). I stood-up another Mac with a fresh install of High Sierra and installed 1P6 with my current two opvaults (current and archive data) and found only one discrepancy out of 855 items (current opvault only) and ironically it was my entry for my license key for 1P6 - the entry has completely different data from the same opvault (copied between systems manually) when viewed in 1P6 versus 1P7 - thats really weird and reinforces my distrust.

So for me, I'm removing all of my old data from my current opvault (it used to be ~1500 items now 855 and shrinking) since my "Old Data" folder has become many individual tags and impossible to manage in 1P7. Once I'm down to minimal entries I'll start using 1P6 again on all my systems and hopefully regain valid dropbox syncing on my IOS devices as well.

I also answered my own question while trying to figure out how to get an old (pre-opvault) database into 7. It looks like you support LastPass and SplashID importing so they must be your main competitors for me to look at switching to. :-)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @susanO2! I'm sorry the removal of folders has upset your workflow. I'm personally a big fan of tags and keyboard navigation, but obviously your mileage may vary. Our intention was not to arbitrarily remove a feature that some people loved and used, but rather to implement one that worked more consistently across platforms. As the use-cases for 1Password expand beyond simple Logins and Passwords (which has been the case for some time) and 1Password use extended beyond its Mac-based roots, especially for people who use 1Password on multiple platforms/devices, we knew we needed to have an organizational tool that was more dependable and ubiquitous. We're still working to refine tag-based organization, but smart folders needed (and still need) a much more thorough reworking to avoid relying on macOS-only features/API calls that make the current implementation pretty much limited to the Apple - and specifically Mac - user.

I'd also like to extend our apologies for the delays in email response times. We've been experiencing a huge surge of support requests due to the simultaneous release of 1Password 7 for Windows and 1Password 7 for Mac as well as the changes brought on in macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) and the general public increase in awareness of and use of password managers. We're doing our best to reply to everyone and get back to our usual speedy response times, but we're well aware that some people have been waiting quite some time indeed. Everyone should've received an automated reply to any emails sent in, but the fact that it's taken us four days, for example, to reply to edoriv above in this very thread (and more than 24 hours for you) should serve to show the volume of user input we're currently receiving. That's not meant to be an excuse -- but it's definitely not the case that we provide support only via user forums, as any of my colleagues answering 40-70 user support emails a day would be willing to attest.

I'm sorry to say that I no longer trust 1Password enough to trust that it will just work.

Again, I'm sorry to hear that, but other than your statement that you prefer folders to tags, unless I missed it, I don't see anything else in your post about a specific problem you need help with. You mentioned in passing having "experienced bugs/glitches posted here" (?) but that "7.2.2 seems OK now." Is there something I can assist you with?

• friedmanh
    friedmanh
    Community Member
    Options

I have successfully downgraded from 7 to 6 on my Mac OS 10.12.6 Sierra in Firefox, but Chrome is asking me for the "1Password extension (desktop app required)". Please provide instructions. Thank you.

• Ben
    Options

@friedmanh

If you have the Chrome extension installed please remove it, restart your Mac, and then install the extension here:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-extension-deskt/aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk

I hope that helps!

Ben

• friedmanh
    friedmanh
    Community Member
    Options

That installed 1P7, not 1P6. Please provide instructions to reinstall 6. Thank you

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@friedmanh - there is no such thing as a 1P7 extension vs a 1P6 extension. The current 1Password extension to which Ben linked you is version 4.7.3.90. You told us previously that you had "successfully downgraded from 7 to 6 on my Mac OS 10.12.6." If so, that link will indeed allow you to install that version (the current one, 4.7.3.90) of 1Password's Chrome extension.

• friedmanh
    friedmanh
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sorry to report that when I click on the 1P toolbar icon within Chrome, it opens the 1P7 home panel. When I click on a login item or anything else it opens a "Welcome to 1P7" window explaining membership with a Subscribe Today button with nothing else to do but close the window and be unable to use 1P. When I search for a login from the home page, it opens the item's 1P7 page, but when I click Open and Fill it opens the same "Welcome to 1P7" window.

Furthermore, my Firefox version which was working earlier now behaves similarly, except that I can still access 1P6 using either the MacOS toolbar or dock 1P6 icon. However, my Mac OS toolbar now includes a 1P7 icon (which I had deleted earlier after downgrading to 6) along with the 1P6. The 1P7 icon when clicked asks me to install the extension.

Thank you

This discussion has been closed.