1P7 tab behaviour

PLMan
PLMan
Community Member

When editing item in 1P 7.0.3 (70003001) tab key should move cursor to next field omitting labels. But it is not. So if I'm in new software license item and will input customer name then press tab, then instead of moving to field where I can input e-mail address, 1P moves to label of this field. Previously, in 1P 6 it was working in proper way.

1Password Version: 7.0.3 (70003001)
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.13.4 (17E202)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@PLMan: I'm not sure I agree. Since labels can be edited, it's actually pretty bad from an accessibility standpoint for those to be skipped. They just won't be usable in that case. :(

• PLMan
    PLMan
    Community Member

I'm sure I'll not agree. I like 1P and it is leading software this kind but not so superior that it should pretend to be users' habits changer. In 1P6 it was working as in most other Mac apps-tab was skipping label names. Do you know any other software which acts as 1P7 in this matter? So present behaviour is design flaw.
    How often user will change standard labels? Much rare than entering data, right? If user is keyboard oriented (knows that tab moves to next field) it means that he wants to make things fast. Asking him to press tab twice is just waste of his precious time.
    Nobody told that there should be no possibility to change label names - but simple double click on them in item edit mode will be enough.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@PLMan: I get what you're saying, and it makes sense to me intellectually. But again, I think the opposite argument is stronger. If we can accommodate both though, that would be very welcome. How would you propose that we satisfy your preference while also keeping 1Password useable by those who depend on VoiceOver and other accessibility tools? How do you propose that someone who cannot see neither the field nor the mouse cursor double-click the label? That's what we have to consider.

You're right that a lot of other software works the way you say it should, but a lot of software is also absolutely terrible when it comes to accessibility in general. I can't get behind that as a good reason to take 1Password backward too. But if there's a way to accommodate both use cases I'm down.

• PLMan
    PLMan
    Community Member

We can take Contacts app as example. When you are editing new contact, then tab button moves between fields. You can change field names (for example phone number type) but you need to click on it. But when you activate Voice Over then tab moves to labels too. So it is possible to change tab behaviour according to accessibility mode state.
    Other solution is to add new preference panel "accessibility" and there allow to change app behaviour. It is really not good idea to degrade usability. You can't make not disabled people the victims of disabled ones. In such case interface of app should be high contrast and black&white because there are color disabled people and those which have not too good sight at all. This is why there are many accessibility options build into MacOS but they are disabled by default.
    Doing 1P as accessible as possible is good idea. Just make it optional not default.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You can't make not disabled people the victims of disabled ones.

@PLMan: Whoa, dude. You're not a "victim" here. Let's avoid that kind of rhetoric. :blush:

We can take Contacts app as example. When you are editing new contact, then tab button moves between fields. You can change field names (for example phone number type) but you need to click on it. But when you activate Voice Over then tab moves to labels too. So it is possible to change tab behaviour according to accessibility mode state.

That doesn't seem to be the case. Even with VoiceOver off, I can tab to select these dropdowns:

But we'll look into it to see if there is a way to do what you're describing. Thanks for the suggestion.

Doing 1P as accessible as possible is good idea. Just make it optional not default.

We're in agreement on this, and you make a lot of good points. We'll see what we can do to improve it. Thanks for your feedback on this.

ref: apple-1577

This discussion has been closed.