How do you delete a vault within 1Password?

smith4925
smith4925
Community Member

I moved over to the subscription from a licence version. Everything went well on the first computer, my phone went ok, but my other Mac's have been a problem. It all stems from having 2 vaults. I want to delete my old vault and use the new one on the subscription service. In 1Password there doesn't appear to be a way to delete a Vault? Someone suggested going to 1Password/Vault/delete Vault, the problem is there is nothing there in my version? The person who suggested this has a licence and not the subscription service. Why would this option be on a licenced version and not the other?

1Password Version: 7.0.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@smith4925 Sorry for the confusion! if you have only your single "Primary" local vault, you can visit Preferences > Advanced and UN-check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts."

• smith4925
    smith4925
    Community Member

Thank you! Why is this hidden so deep in the UI?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@smith4925 That particular option is hidden deep because it is also the option to enable standalone vaults while using a membership, which is not generally something we recommend.

In your case, though, the reason the "Delete Vault" option didn't show up was because you needed to switch to the Primary vault first.

• raffoz
    raffoz
    Community Member

I understand your goal is to have more subscription (it's a business), but the way you designed the correlation between local-synced and 1pw accounts is too much complicated... I don't agree on the way you manage this aspect, not clear and not kind, sorry to be told (from a customer who bought 1pw since its beginning) 😔

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @raffoz! Thanks for being a long-time user of 1Password. For those of us who've been around for a while (my first license was June, 2007), sometimes we get used to things being a certain way and so it's perhaps more jarring for us when things change in a new "dot-oh" release than it might be for newer users who don't have as much of a history of knowing how things work -- so they're not as surprised when they change.

I won't argue that allowing both the standalone option and 1password.com memberships within the 1Password apps complicates both the interface and the experience; separate functionality needed to be created (or retained) for both options because, well, they're separate things. We've retained standalone vaults/local data because although we believe a 1password.com membership is the superior option for the vast majority of users, a significant number of our users wanted to continue using local data and standalone licensing. If you'd be willing to elaborate a bit on what specifically you found unclear or frustrating, I'd be happy to help clarify anything I can.

• raffoz
    raffoz
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

My thought is this: I don't need an account, because my needs (at the moment) are ok with the license for Mac and iOs and the iCloud sync.

1 year of 1pw.com is price-equivalent, more or less, to the license.
    I saw that the complicated way 1password7 is built is somehow directed to "push" users to subscribe to the account.

I mean: it's normal and, maybe, I'd have acted in the same way.
    But it's really complicated to manage these 2 things together (and I'm really practical of these things).

There's a psychological thing too:

• if the management of the two aspects was easier, maybe people could choose with more freedom between license or subscription;
    • it could happen that experienced users find irritating this behavior and run away from 1pw;
    • it could happen that not-experienced users cannot find how to manage the license and find 1pw too much expensive.

Apart from this, as i told, I really like 1pw.
    It's like when a friend of you makes something you don't like, but soon you forgive him, nothing more :chuffed:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@raffoz - thanks for the clarification!

1 year of 1pw.com is price-equivalent, more or less, to the license.

For a single individual, a year of 1password.com membership (if paid annually, which gets a price break compared to paying monthly) is $2.99/mo, or $35.88 for a year. Right now during the launch special, a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac is $49.99...but at some point in the not-too-distant future, the regular price will return to $64.99. That means the (full-price) cost of a license is equal to closer to two years of 1password.com membership, not a single year.

But it's really complicated to manage these 2 things together (and I'm really practical of these things).

I'm sorry for the sub-optimal experience, but I'm also a little confused: if you stuck with the standalone option, you shouldn't be having any issues arising from complexity with standalone vaults. And if you created a 1password.com membership, why do you still have standalone vaults? I want to make sure you're not paying for things you don't want or don't need, just due to confusion. Can you elaborate for me? Thanks!

• raffoz
    raffoz
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

To understand how to manage them and after the upgrade things weren't so fluid.
    Now I understood everything.

Example: the option to buy a license appears ONLY if you don't have an account working (even in trial mode).
    This is not understandable at first sight, because there isn't written.

But now everything is clear for me.
    Tks for your help :)

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

Glad that Lars could help @raffoz. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

This discussion has been closed.