Recommended order of operations from 6 to 7, standalone to family

Options
LenKuffert
LenKuffert
Community Member

Hi there,
How do your engineers recommend we upgrade? We are on a family licence on Version 6, but want to move to V7 and subscription. Should we create account in V6 and then download/run 7, or vice versa? Have you noticed a difference for users? Trying to avoid limbo with no access to passwords.
Len

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: not sure
OS Version: latest
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:upgrade v7 first

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @LenKuffert

I’d recommend setting up your 1Password Families membership first, migrating from your existing standalone setup to that, and then installing 1Password 7. It should work fine either way, but that is how I’d go about it. Furrther information on moving your existing data can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps!

Ben

• LenKuffert
    LenKuffert
    Community Member
    Options

Will try this, thanks! If you don't hear from me again, you can assume I'm happily on the other side.

• Ben
    Options

Great. :)

Ben

• duelist77
    duelist77
    Community Member
    Options

Follow-up question for a similar situation as the OP:

Currently using 1Password 6 on Mac (MacAppStore version) with a standalone license. Would like to start a trial for (and possibly subscribe after the trial) a family membership. Also would like to move to 1Password 7 Mac the AgileBits download version (so that I don't have to pay through Apple if I do subscribe).

Would the recommended order of operations be:

1. start the trial membership at the 1password website
    2. download 1Password 7 Mac from 1password website and install
    3. log into the trial membership within 1Password 7 on Mac
    4. migrate data from the standalone vault to the membership
    5. uninstall 1Password 6 from Mac

Is the data migration from the standalone vault to the trial membership here automatic or is there manual steps I would need to do?

Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@duelist77: Yep! Definitely set it up through the website, as we're not able to offer a family option through Apple's in-app subscriptions. This guide will actually take you through all of that — signup and all:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Most of it is fairly automated, but you'll need to remove the old local vault from each of your devices. Let me know if you have any questions!

This discussion has been closed.