1Password 7: My experience

mark_ux
mark_ux
Community Member

Even when I will perpetually refuse to use any kind of 1P subscription model, I just downloaded 1P v7 today, and send (temporarily) to the Trash 1P v6 (which I restored back 1h later...) 1P v7 feels a noticeable (worse) experience regarding performance, which leads to ask the follows:

• Does 1Password v7 use native** macOS development stack (meaning it is written in Objective-C, or Swift), or does it use a generic stack like java/electron, or any other—generic—language, non-macOS native? I am asking this because —Ideally— I would prefer to use software products written natively for the OS platform I am using, instead of resorting in software that are wrote for all OSes, but lack the proper feeling of performance because of that.
  • Why on earth there is no place in the main AgileBits/1Password.com websites where officially and without tricks in plain english offer the price of the Standalone Version of 1P 7? I understand that AgileBits would prefer all of their customers to use subscription based instead of buying standalone versions, but this is just enough: me (like tons of others), felt with 1P 7 that we are literally forced to buy a subscription. No matter what your CEO says; the price of the standalone version is not* in your website, but the subscription price is in plain english in the front-page. This is simply, not an honest way of running a business.
  • Why 1P v6 is NOT in the Apple Store anymore? What if I refuse to buy your 1P v7 product and want to keep using my v6 on —let's say— a new mac? (I cannot download it from the Apple Store anymore). Again, why??

Thanks,
Mark.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @mark_ux! Sorry to hear you're not enjoying the 1Password 7 experience. To answer some of your questions, all four of our native applications (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android) are written in native code for their respective platforms. On macOS, that means Swift and ObjC.

If you purchase a standalone license, it is purchased per person, per platform. Licenses for 1Password 7 for Mac or 1Password 7 for Windows are $64.99 each. Mobile versions (1Password for iOS and 1Password for Android) are free to use the basic features indefinitely. If you want the Pro features of either 1Password for iOS or 1Password for Android, they are $10 each.

Why on earth there is no place in the main AgileBits/1Password.com websites where officially and without tricks in plain english offer the price of the Standalone Version of 1P 7?

There is. The price of a standalone license was announced right along with the announcement of each platform's upgrade to 1Password 7 (Mac, Windows). If what you're asking is why standalone license "advertising" (for lack of a better word -- maybe "presentation"?) isn't as prominent on our website as 1password.com subscription pricing, that's because we make no bones at all about 1password.com memberships being far and away the most secure, robust and error-free way to use 1Password for the vast majority of our customers -- especially new ones.

Why 1P v6 is NOT in the Apple Store anymore? What if I refuse to buy your 1P v7 product and want to keep using my v6 on —let's say— a new mac? (I cannot download it from the Apple Store anymore).

Apple only allows one version of an app to be sold at a time in the Mac App Store. If you have previous versions of an app and you are using the same Apple ID on the new Mac, you can visit your own Purchased tab in the Mac App Store and re-download that older version -- but you will not find it for sale. If you are planning to use a completely different Apple ID on your new Mac, you'd need to re-purchase ALL Mac App Store-purchased software you wanted to use on the new Mac, using the new Apple ID. That's been the way Apple segregates purchase in their App Stores since the very beginning.

This discussion has been closed.