Staple floating menu to background (anchor)

tastyroadkill
tastyroadkill
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Mac

Edit: Ok, I found the right terminology - Anchor. That's the button I was looking for and I see that it's replaced with that little double-box icon. However, I use Safari maximized and when I select the new anchor button, the window opens up on the desktop instead of pinning to the browser that is currently open. Previously, the open entry would staple on top of the open browser, even when I had the browser maximized (little green button in top left corner of Safari). Is there a way to anchor the 1Password entry on to a maximized browser window?

I'm using MacOS (latest version) and upgraded to 1Password 7. Previously, I could "staple" the menu bar to the desktop or background while I worked in my browser. This was useful for manually copying information from a 1Password entry into a browser window (for example, reading answers to security questions or other information). With the new version, I don't see an option to keep the 1Password window open - when I click anywhere on the browser/background, the 1Password window disappears.

How do I keep the floating window open while I work in the background?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tastyroadkill - I'm not sure what your original post mentioned, since you appear to have overwritten it. But yes, the "pop-out" functionality is slightly different in 1Password 7 than in previous versions: it creates an entirely new window. There is currently no way to have this appear "over" the browser because the mini (extension helper) is no longer a separate process from the main app. So, when you create a new window in 1Password, if you have an app maximized (like Safari), no other apps can appear on that maximized page with it. That's the point of a maximized page: it is the ONLY app in that "space."

For now, the best workaround I can think of would be to suggest that if this is something you do frequently, instead of using the green button, you click-drag the Safari window until it occupies the entire screen. This will approximate the functionality of a maximized window without actually being one, so that when you open a "popped-out" window, it will remain visible. I'll raise the issue with our developers, but I don't know how much flexibility they have to deal with this, since 1Password is a unified process now. Thanks for reporting! :)

ref: apple-1536

• LynnQ
    LynnQ
    Community Member

The 'anchored' window was a feature I used a lot - make a +1 for me if you're looking into a way to bring it back! It was a handy feature and it's now a bit frustrating to have to manage windows or keep going back and forth between the browser and 1Password.

• @LynnQ,

The anchored window feature didn't go away, it just got a new name and a new icon. Its under the item menu as "open in a separate window" and appears in both the main and mini windows as the button with the two overlapping squares on it.

This discussion has been closed.