why does the font, style, etc change when I save a secure note?

glenas
glenas
Community Member

I want to save my Secure Notes to look exactly like I typed it. However, when I save a Secure Note, everything changes, font, style, spaces....

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:why does the font, style, etc change when I save a secure note?

Comments

• Hey @glenas! The notes field in 1Password 7 is rendered Markdown, which is the language used for formatting your notes into rich text when you view them. What particularly isn't looking right? If you could post a screenshot that'd be super helpful. If you need any help taking a screenshot, there is a nice guide over here.

Once you have the image, make sure to remove or mask any private info since this is a public forum. Then just attach it to your post by clicking the document icon and clicking Choose Files. Here's what that looks like:

• seattle_expat
    seattle_expat
    Community Member

Hi Jacob-

Have been using 1P7 for a few days now and am also having a lot of issues with Secure Notes. I store a lot of information in Notes and now they all appear bolloxed up with random changes that I don't want. Just to list a few:

1. Bullets get renumbered for no apparent reason,
    2. Random sections of text appear in Courier font pre-formatted text,
    3. Carriage returns are not respected and run on to the next sentence,
    4. Tabs are interpreted as a desire to reformat the text, rather than just ... applying a tab,

After reviewing the Markdown guide, I looked over my raw text and there were no triggers applied that should have indicated I wanted something special to be done. 1P just seems to make an executive decision on its own and formats things at random.

Maybe consider implementing a toggle switch that gives users the ability to choose between Markdown enabled notes and just regular old plain text. Then we can decide how best to strategize the countless hours it will take to reformat everything.

Just one idea.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@seattle_expat: Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the notes you're having issues with are pre-Markdown. We're seeing some glitches with them being automatically converted, so it's something we're looking into. We'll see if there's a way to fix this retroactively on our end, but I suspect you'll find that new notes you create will behave as expected. Thanks for letting us know!

• seattle_expat
    seattle_expat
    Community Member

Yes, almost all of these were created pre-markdown.

Let me know if you need samples or the like. (Obviously I'd have to sanitize some things, but maybe they could help.) Something I was going to try was copying the entire text of a note and pasting it over to plain-text Notepad, not Rich-Text. Then copy that text back over to a new 1P7 Note and see what happens. I'll post back when I have time to look into it further.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@seattle_expat: Anything using Markdown syntax, even if unintentional, will be rendered as such. I think it might be nice to have a way to opt-out of that, but we're not sure what the best solution would be. Anyway, I appreciate the offer, but believe me I've got plenty of samples already. Just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same issue. This drives me nuts too. One way or another, we'll get it fixed. :)

• seattle_expat
    seattle_expat
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty.

I was just working with secure notes again and still can't seem to resolve some of the Markdown issues. Creating new notes with the same text doesn't have any effect on the Markdown result. I think my suggestion above of implementing a per-note toggle switch on secure notes could be an easy fix. That would give the user the ability to either use Markdown or keep the note in the traditional flat format. Welcome thoughts.

Seattle-Ex

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's certainly not an "easy fix", but it's one approach we're considering. I think you make some good points, and this is something we'll continue to evaluate.

This discussion has been closed.