Forced to update to OPVault and now my password doesn't work

Curt Cole
Curt Cole
Community Member

I bought a new PC, installed 1Password, and linked it to my Dropbox vault. During the install it requirement me to update to OPVault. Now my mac wants to use OPVault but it refuses to accept the password. The application will not cancel from that window either. I have to Force Quit to do anything. I have licenses for many versions of 1Password. The new windows version no longer accepts keys but is looking for a file. It doesn't recognize the file that's for the mac. So now the new version and the old version don't work. I'm beginning to panic.

1Password Version: mac version 6, PC version 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4 (windows 10)
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:OPVault rejecting old password

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Curt Cole - first off, as Douglas Adams once said, "don't panic." :) 1Password is sold per-person and per-platform. That would be the reason why you can't use the Mac license file on your PC's copy of 1Password 7 for Windows. For purchasing information for each platform, please see the respective announcements for each platform (1Password 7 for Mac, 1Password 7 for Windows).

The OPVault vs Agile Keychain issue is another matter. If you've been with 1Password a while, your original sync keychain was probably an Agile Keychain. We've officially sunset Agile Keychains in version 7 of 1Password, so you'll need to switch all your instances of 1Password that are synced via Dropbox using an Agile Keychain over to the new OPVault. This only needs to happen once: the first device on which you upgrade to 1Password 7, you'll be prompted to make this switch. On subsequent devices that have been syncing via the older Agile Keychain version, all you need to do is turn OFF syncing, then turn it back ON again and point it at the OPVault file instead of the Agile Keychain file. In fact, depending upon how you upgrade and in what order, syncing with an Agile Keychain should be turned off for you automatically on subsequent devices; you may just need to turn it back on.

The Master Password issue is something else altogether. In a standalone setup, the Master Password for your 1Password app is the same as the vault password for your Primary vault. BUT, if you have secondary vaults, each of these will have its own separate vault password, which you would've created when you created the vault. Depending upon the steps you took, that password could be the same as your Master Password, or you might've chosen a different one. I see you've also contacted our email support team on this question; you should've received an automatic reply from our BitBot assistant; I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices and attach them to a reply to that email.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

—Windows—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?windows

Or, if you want to send a new email with the diagnostics reports, please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics emails before sending them:

[#YMQ-61795-837]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @“Curt Cole" only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: YMQ-61795-837

• Curt Cole
    Curt Cole
    Community Member

The bottom line is that my windows licenses didn't work and I had to buy the product yet again. You hold all my passwords so I caved and paid. Miraculously my password started working again. Funny how that works. High-class ransomware.

• @Curt Cole Thanks for letting us know. If you were trying to use a 1Password 4 for Windows license, or a 1Password 6 for Mac license with 1Password 7 for Windows, it wouldn't work because that version has a different license. You can only use a 1Password 7 license with 1Password 7. I'm sorry if there was some confusion about the kind of upgrade 1Password 7 is – previous licenses won't work for it because it's a paid upgrade.

This discussion has been closed.