Bug report: can't copy a "Password" entry with Command + Shift + C in 1Password 7.0.3

Options
paranoidprivacy
paranoidprivacy
Community Member

Reproduce with:

• command + option + \ to open 1Password Mini
  • Find an entry that is a "Password"
  • Copy the password with Command + Shift + C

This used to work in 1Password 6.

I use this workflow a lot in the Terminal or in applications that are not my browser.

I can't figure out how to downgrade to 1Password 6, since the download links on the site and App Store app are gone.

1Password Version: 7.0.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• geodbz
    geodbz
    Community Member
    Options

Same version, having the exact same issue ever since I upgraded. :-1:

• geodbz
    geodbz
    Community Member
    Options

weirdly enough...it's suddenly working now? Not sure what conditions cause it to break down, but I rebooted my machine and it worked the first time but then didn't work the next handful of times I tried. After getting my comment posted here, it appears to be working again without issue. :neutral:

• geodbz
    geodbz
    Community Member
    Options

And busted again. I'm not sure of what set of steps are needed to reproduce just yet, but it's definitely working sometimes and not working other times.

• geodbz
    geodbz
    Community Member
    Options

This still appears to be an issue in 7.0.4

• paranoidprivacy
    paranoidprivacy
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm, happens in 7.0.4 for me too.

• geodbz
    geodbz
    Community Member
    Options

I think I've determined what's happening -- if the item in 1Password is a "login" type, this actually works as expected. If it's merely a "password" type, you can't hit cmd+shift+c to copy it.

• paranoidprivacy
    paranoidprivacy
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that was what I knew from the start.

It is a bug though, because in 1Password 6 it worked.

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback @paranoidprivacy! Indeed this has been changed with 1Password 7: Command + Shift + C now actually copies the second field of an item, while Command + Control + C copies the first field of an item (like the password field of a Password item).

We're looking into restoring the behavior from 1Password 6, and I've passed on your feedback to our developers.

ref: apple-1429

• paranoidprivacy
    paranoidprivacy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing this issue fixed! :)

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome @paranoidprivacy, and me too!

• dankow
    dankow
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to add my +1 for getting Command-Shift-C returned to its to pre-7 behavior . The issue has shown up in two ways for me:

• The way @paranoidprivacy described, with "Password" items. I accidentally stumbled into a workaround by adding a username field, making the password field the second field. That was before I found this thread, so I didn't understand why this worked.
    • When using a "Database" item with a server, port, etc., Command-Shift-C copied the second field instead of the password.

The documentation still says that Command-Shift-C "Copy the password of the selected item", which is currently incorrect.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018
    Options

@dankow - this has been fixed in the latest beta version (7.2.2.BETA-0), so unless something changes radically, you should expect it in a stable release soon. If you're not willing to wait, you can enable beta builds by checking the box marked "include beta builds" in 1Password Preferences > Update, and then clicking the "Check now" button.

ref: apple-1429

This discussion has been closed.