How Can 1PW 7.x Mini *Not* Remember Last Location

ossiejhmoore
ossiejhmoore
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Mac

In the new 1Password 7.x, when you click on the 1Password icon in either the browser or the menu bar, it remembers the last location and opens there. Is there a way to turn this off?

Why? Remembering the prior location it was opened is sub-optimal on very large displays. It means that after you click on the icon, you have to move your mouse a long distance to access the pop-up widget. Very irritating. Previously, the widget would open (roughly) next to your mouse pointer, which was great for those of us who have very large display.

_1Password Version: 7.0.3
_Extension Version: Safari
_OS Version: macOS Sierra
_Sync Type: 1Password for Families

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @ossiejhmoore! At present, there's not option to turn off the behavior of the mini launching in the last place it was used. We're aware this may affect those using unusually large displays (or multiple displays), but at present we're still looking into the best way to address this. Most users aren't on very large displays, though there are more than there used to be who are using multiple displays. Thanks for taking the time to state your case and keep an eye on updates.

• derek328
    derek328
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

As a UX PM myself, I'd definitely prefer using last saved location as it is the most proven solution and addresses most typical use case scenarios.

Unfortunately, the current problem with 1Password Mini is inconsistent implementation.

For example: if the 1Password Mini add-on is placed within Firefox's Overflow Menu (drop-down list for activated add-ons), and I click on the icon, the window will appear at its last saved location.

Yet, if the Mini add-on was placed within Firefox's direct UI (e.g. next to the URL bar), and I click on the icon - it will appear at my mouse / pointer's location instead of its saved window location. Using the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+\ also triggers the Mini to appear at the mouse / pointer location (thus completely ignoring its saved location).

It should be a relatively easy fix though.. @Lars, could we get a fix for this alongside the other UX bug (the battery-killing blue hue in the lock screen) in the coming patch? I'd really appreciate it! ^^

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @derek328! Thanks for sharing your experience and perspective. I'm not able to replicate the issue you're seeing with regard to Firefox, however: in either location (for the extension icon) the behavior is the same for me: the Extension Helper (mini) appears in its last used position. I do think this serves as a good example for anyone else reading of how we're often urged by different users to do literally the opposite things from one another's requests. We feel very grateful to have such an engaged and informed user base who aren't at all shy about sharing their feedback and their wishes with us, but we do occasionally wish that people would understand why we sometimes don't pursue requests.

• derek328
    derek328
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Hello @Lars!

Thank you for following up with me on the 1Password Mini UX bug. I've managed to reproduce the inconsistencies on my computers, and have decided to share it with you here.

Problem: 1Password Mini does not utilize last remembered window location, a pain-point in the user experience.

Solution: #1 fixing the bug (so that last remembered location is the forced behavior), or possibly #2 provide an option for users to choose (between spawn at pointer, or use last remembered window location).

Demo:

If 1Password Mini's add-on icon is nested in Firefox Quantum's Overflow add-on list (1), and is triggered, 1Password Mini appears to recall that I want the window aligned to the bottom right desktop corner, just above the Windows Taskbar. (2)

Yet, if 1Password Mini's add-on icon is placed in the Firefox Quantum main UI (3), and is triggered, 1Password Mini will forget its last saved location (desktop corner), and instead appear based on where I click on the 1Password Mini add-on icon (clicking on bottom / top side of the icon).

Also, if 1Password Mini is summoned via shortcut (default Ctrl + Alt + \ ) it will also forget its last saved location (bottom right desktop corner), and instead appear wherever my mouse / pointer is on the screen (6).

This should be a relatively simple fix, and I'd really appreciate if it could be patched in 1-2 months! (especially since 1Password is also about to patch other UX bugs, like the battery-hogging blue hue bug at the lock screen). Do you think this is a workable timeframe? It's so frustrating to use right now :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We don't have time frames to offer on unreleased software as your "simple fix" in fact isn't: we've resolved similar window issues for the vast majority of users, but a few were still affected. I believe that the current beta will help you, but then again we've thought that before. We'll see how it goes, and we'll keep working at it if necessary. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.