My thoughts on version 7

attrapereves
attrapereves
Community Member

I've been a 1Password customer since 2014 and have always enjoyed the product. I just upgraded to version 7 (and Families) and I figured I'd post my immediate thoughts.

1. The main application seems to take up more screen real estate than before. The left side navigation panel requires scrolling where it did not before. It looks like there is more space between items, so this may explain the scrolling.

2. I like the changes made to the password/logins screen. The password strength meter is a nice improvement and the layout looks cleaner. The only thing I'll add is I would like the ability to change the side panel color to something more neutral.

3. I am not a fan of the new browser plugin (which I believe is just 1Password mini), but I'll probably get used to it. It reminds me of the Spotlight search box, just more cluttered. I'd rather see logins for the current website and then a search box for other things instead of the categories along the side. Additionally, I prefer the plugin window to open near the plugin icon. Clicking on the icon, then on the site is super easy, but now that the plugin launches in the middle of the screen, logging in takes slightly longer.

4. I noticed that when you click a website, it no longer automatically logs you in after autofilling. Did this feature go away? I could see how it might be a security flaw, but it sure was convenient.

5. I would like the ability to store multiple logins under the same website. For example, instead of having to store my personal, work, and school Google accounts separately, I'd like to have a single Google entry and just have each login stored there.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @attrapereves

Thanks for your feedback. We still have a lot of great updates coming for 1Password 7 so your feedback on what you like and what you want to see is very much appreciated.

Let's tackle some of your feedback and see if I can address them specifically.

The main application seems to take up more screen real estate than before. The left side navigation panel requires scrolling where it did not before. It looks like there is more space between items, so this may explain the scrolling.

Not particularly, from what I can see. The same size 1Password 6 window still required scrolling if you had multiple categories such as Categories and Security Audit (now Watchtower) expanded. You can collapse them if you want. There are slightly larger spaces between things which could account for a feel of that yes.

I like the changes made to the password/logins screen. The password strength meter is a nice improvement and the layout looks cleaner. The only thing I'll add is I would like the ability to change the side panel color to something more neutral.

Thank you, I'll pass on the feedback. :)

I am not a fan of the new browser plugin (which I believe is just 1Password mini), but I'll probably get used to it. It reminds me of the Spotlight search box, just more cluttered. I'd rather see logins for the current website and then a search box for other things instead of the categories along the side. Additionally, I prefer the plugin window to open near the plugin icon. Clicking on the icon, then on the site is super easy, but now that the plugin launches in the middle of the screen, logging in takes slightly longer.

We have heard a lot of feedback about the new mini and while we are likely not going to go back to the old style, the new style is not quite done yet and we are taking a lot of the feedback that we have been getting from our customers to implement in future updates. Admittedly, I don't even encounter mini a whole lot myself as I mainly use the command+\ shortcut to autofill in browsers, completely skipping mini entirely.

I noticed that when you click a website, it no longer automatically logs you in after autofilling. Did this feature go away? I could see how it might be a security flaw, but it sure was convenient.

No it's still there, it might have just gotten stuck after the update. Open up 1Password and go to 1Password>Preferences>Browsers and toggle the "Automatically sign in" option on and off a few times. That should get things running again.

I would like the ability to store multiple logins under the same website. For example, instead of having to store my personal, work, and school Google accounts separately, I'd like to have a single Google entry and just have each login stored there.

I see where you are coming from. There are a couple of things to consider there. In the case of Google, for example, my personal and work accounts have separate login URLs. When I go to log in to my personal account, I want to just just hit command+\ and fill in my personal details, not have to hit the command and then choose which set of login details I want to use. Same with, say, my Amazon.ca and Amazon.jp logins. Could we develop something were you have a master "Amazon" entry that would know the difference between the the two locales and pick the correct one? Perhaps. I am not a programmer, so I wouldn't know and it could be a neat idea to bring up.

Thanks again for your feedback. It's the best way for us to improve. :)

This discussion has been closed.