Being forced to pay again?

Feek
Feek
Community Member

I first bought 1Password back in September 2008 when it was on version 2 and I have upgraded to each and every version since then.
Now, looking at the App Store, if I want to run the most recent version, it appears it's going to cost me £30.99 on an annual basis.
I'm a bit miffed about this.

Is V6 dead? Has all support for V6 ended?

I resent being forced into a subscription model for a product I've paid for multiple times over the years already.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

You'll probably find this AgileBits' post helpful in answering your questions. In summary though:

• 1Password 6 won't be further developed.
    • You don't have to go the subscription route (I share your views about it and still have a standalone licence).

Take a look at this AgileBits' blog post. Tucked away near the end you'll find this:

Those of you with a standalone license for version 6 will be prompted to subscribe or purchase a license when 1Password 7 first opens. Licenses will cost $64.99 but are available during our launch special for only $49.99. Licenses are per-person, per-platform so you can use your single license on as many Macs as you have.

In passing, I should say that, like you, I've paid for upgrades with standalone licences and I do consider that the upgrade to 1Password 7 is worth the cost of the licence (even though, as you'll gather from the forum, there are still bugs to be squashed).

Stephen

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Hello @Feek

1Password 7 is a paid upgrade for license holders, correct. Standalone licenses are still available if you do not wish to go the membership route if you download the version of the app from our website. The membership, however, is about more than just the app itself, far more. An overview of all it provides can be found over at https://support.1password.com/why-membership and I would be happy to go into more detail. You might find out it provides some value to you.

As for 1Password 6. It's not dead, per se, but development on it has ended. You are free to continue to use it as long as you have hardware and software that runs it as your license does not expire. We do, however, recommend that people be on the most recent version of software possible, especially security software such as 1Password as, similar to with your OS, it is the current version that receives security updates.

This discussion has been closed.