Password 7 and iOS app

bwcacanoe
bwcacanoe
Community Member

I noticed that upgrading to Password7 changes the vault structure. Does it still play nice with the iOS app for syncing things.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @bwcacanoe

Changes the vault structure how? Do you mean the switch over to OPVault or something different?

• Raynes
    Raynes
    Community Member

I upgraded to #7 and I cannot find my key. Also it does not recognize my old password. I am lost!

• bwcacanoe
    bwcacanoe
    Community Member

Yes, the change to OPVault. Does this change the iOS apps ability to access it. Is it structure or just location, in which case do I just have to redirect the iOS app.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bwcacanoe

Does this change the iOS apps ability to access it.

Yes and no. 1Password for iOS works quite well with OPVault. However, you DO need to disable, then re-enable syncing in 1Password for iOS for any vault you had previously synced with an Agile Keychain, to point it at the new . When you upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac, it will write out a new OPVault in the same directory as your previous Agile Keychain, and rename the file type of the older version from .agilekeychain to .legacyagilekeychain. That alone should force sync to stop in 1Password for iOS, since the sync keychain will no longer exist. Turn sync back to Dropbox for each vault that had been using an Agile Keychain, and make sure to point it to the proper correspondingly-named OPVault. That should take care of it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Raynes - can I ask how you upgraded? And what you mean by "key?" Without a little more information here, it's difficult to be of much assistance. Please let us know what version of 1Password you were using previously (specific version number), what steps you took, and what you see now?

• bwcacanoe
    bwcacanoe
    Community Member

I upgraded from your website, but it's really not set up for stand alone users of 1Password. Rather than have an option that says "for standalone upgraders" the site immediately takes you to a window that is set up for monthly users and asking for keys, etc that they must have, and alternative methods for retrieving them. That was the hangup. Once you figure out that none of that applies to you and you just download, hit the link in the purchase email, everything fell into place and it was quite easy to upgrade and get the iOS re-synced. The problem was the website leading me down Alice's rabbit hole asking for information I didn't need to provide.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bwcacanoe - I'm sorry for the confusion. Can you remember the specific URL you visited that "led you down the rabbit hole?" Our downloads page is where you'd get 1Password 7 for Mac from, and that doesn't have any links to the 1password.com service (except in the footer, and I assume you didn't do that).

Once you download and install 1Password 7 for Mac, you should get this welcome screen:

...which includes the link "Need a license? We have those, too." If you clicked the large green button that says "Subscribe Today," then I'm not surprised you went a ways down what was for you the wrong path. That's for people who want to subscribe to a 1password.com membership instead of go the standalone route.

We'd certainly like to reduce potential confusion, so if you're able to remember where you went and what steps you took, we may be able to make things more clear for the next people who visit. Thanks!

• bwcacanoe
    bwcacanoe
    Community Member

No, I didn't hit the big green button. I hit "Already have a membership, sign in" thinking as a previous license holder, this was the place to go. This window is where it would be good to have another blue link at the bottom stating "previous standalone user" with simple instructions for us to follow. In reality, we are proceeding as any other new purchaser of a standalone license. My mindset suggested that there was a different path as a previous paid user, thus following the membership prompt.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

@bwcacanoe - sorry for the confusion. "Membership" - to us - means exactly what it says: a membership to 1password.com (a subscription), not a standalone license. That's why there is a link immediately above which says "need a license? We have those, too" -- for standalone license users who would need to purchase a new license for the new version.

We'll continue to see where we can improve messaging around this, so thanks for weighing in on the subject. Cheers!

ref: FDK-91433-976

This discussion has been closed.