MAC to MAC WLAN Syncing?

ShaneKeller
ShaneKeller
Community Member

Hello,

I have 1 Password on my MacBook Pro and iMac. I currently run 1 Password 6.8.8 but I am considering updating to 1 Password 7.

For reasons, I cannot use any type of cloud sync. I can only use local WLAN syncing.

Is there a method for WLAN syncing from Mac to Mac that does not involve using an iPhone to sync with one and them separately sync with the other?

Thank you,
Shane

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ShaneKeller

Is there a method for WLAN syncing from Mac to Mac...

No. WLAN syncing in 1Password for Mac is a server --> clients model, where one Mac acts as the WLAN server, and one or more mobile devices running either 1Password for iOS or 1Password for Android sync with it over your wi-fi network.

...that does not involve using an iPhone to sync with one and them separately sync with the other?

This is a discouraged idea, as you have to continually switch sync sources from one Mac to the other to allow the iOS device to act as the data "mule" to get data back and forth from one Mac to another. It also dramatically increases the chance of data duplication, corruption or even loss, depending upon specifics of setup and other factors.

In fact this is one of many reasons we created the 1password.com service -- to make issues like this a thing of the past. Can I ask whether your inability to use any cloud sync is a hard mandate from an employer or organization, or a matter of personal preference? The simple answer to this dilemma is to use 1password.com - or even iCloud or Dropbox - as your sync method, instead of WLAN. Are you aware that with all three of our "cloud" sync solutions, the only thing EVER stored "in the cloud" is your encrypted sync keychain? All en/decryption is done locally, on your own device. Meaning: even if someone were to break into iCloud or Dropbox or 1password.com, they'd still need -- at a minimum -- your Master Password to make the data usable. And in the case of 1password.com accounts, anyone who managed to hack our servers would need not only your Master Password, but also your Secret Key (unique to 1password.com accounts). In short: it's every bit as safe as it is on your phone/laptop/iPad if that were to be lost or stolen. We design 1Password using worst-case assumptions, like: a hacker has come into possession of your data file. That's where we start, in defending you.

• ShaneKeller
    ShaneKeller
    Community Member

Hi @Lars,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I cannot use the cloud for password security due to an organizational/contractual restriction at the moment. Upon renewal, I will request that to be changed but in the meantime, I am stuck with WLAN.

What is the difference between 1password.com and iCloud? Is it just the ability to do sharing via Family & Teams?

Thanks,
    Shane

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ShaneKeller - iCloud is (as I'm sure you know) Apple's own cloud sync system. If you're an Apple products user, you'll already be familiar with many of its ins and outs. The main difference between iCloud and our own 1password.com service is that with iCloud, Apple has to sync a pretty staggeringly broad array of items: your .mov videos from iMovie, your MP3 and AAC files, photos of your cat, your Numbers and Pages documents, your Calendar items and more or less anything else you want to throw at it (with some exceptions). For the most part, it works quite well as a general-purpose sync service. But with 1password.com's server backbone, we were able to create it without having to worry about all that other stuff. We knew going in we were going to be syncing only one thing: your 1Password data. So we were able to fine-tune it in ways that the more-generic file-syncing services like iCloud and Dropbox simply aren't able to do. With 1password.com, we control both ends of the sync equation - the apps in which you create your data, and the server that keeps it synced across your devices.

That ability to fine-tune and write customized features (which is often simply impossible with the more-limited and generic APIs of third party cloud providers like Dropbox and iCloud) lets us do a whole host of good things for 1password.com members, like, yes, effortless sharing among family or team members, but a whole lot more too, like Travel Mode and individual item history. Don't get us wrong -- we have mad love for both iCloud and Dropbox. In the days before we built 1password.com servers, they were the only way we could offer cloud-based syncing, and both have served us well...which is why they remain options for the standalone user who doesn't mind getting his or her hands a little dirty setting up manual sync (much like you WLAN sync folks). But the simplicity and stability of 1password.com sync is unmatched, and if there ever IS a problem, we've got a much better chance of being able to solve it than we do when the servers and sync mechanisms are out of our control.

Best of all, if you decide you'd like to take a 1password.com account out for a spin, you'll get a full 30-day free trial, giving you plenty of time to decide if it's for you. And if you ultimately decide it's not, you can switch right back and continue on. But we think once you see how much of the details of managing 1Password you might not have even realized were there previously off your plate, you'll never look back. :)

• Thomass
    Thomass
    Community Member

Why are you not considering the option to add WLAN sync between macs? I'd also like to have this as number one priority above any other fancy features. For those who take security seriously and want to keep their secrets off the grid (or cloud) this is an important issue.

Thanks.

• Our focus is on making the best solution for 1Password -- 1Password membership, even better. We're not currently considering changes to WLAN sync.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.