My wife and I want to share my new 1Password 7 purchase

MisterLuigi
MisterLuigi
Community Member

Here's my problem presented, sadly, in the most confusing terms possible!

You could purchase 1Password 6 for Mac on the Mac App Store and because of that my wife and I could install 1Password 6 for Mac on our separate computers and iPhones using that one purchase but with different master passwords and different 1Password contents. (We share an Apple account for app purchases.) Unfortunately, the one-time purchase version of 1Password 7 cannot be bought on the Mac App Store. I just bought a one-time purchase version of 1Password 7 for Mac. But b/c I had to buy it on your site, and the purchase is linked to MY master password, it seems my wife and I can no longer install 1Password 7 for Mac on our computers with DIFFERENT master passwords and contents using this one purchase. Right? If she wants to use my new 1Password 7 for Mac purchase will she have to use MY master password and the contents of MY 1Password 7 for Mac. Right?

Buying two of these one-time licenses is much too cost prohibitive for us. And we do not want to go the subscription model route. I will spare you my dislike for subscription models!

It turns out that the contents of MY 1Password and my wife's 1Password contain many of the same passwords (over 95% the same). So I was thinking my wife could simply abandon her 1Password 6 for Mac application and install 1Password 7 for Mac on her computer using MY master password. Correct? My concern has to do with backing up. My new 1Password 7 for Mac application is backed up to MY iCloud account. Can my wife use MY master password 1Password 7 for Mac account on her computer and iPhone, but back it up to HER iCloud account without creating a conflict? If this will create problems, what are my options? I suspect I am not the only one trying to navigate these waters.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• splinna
    splinna
    Community Member

Switch to dropbox as your cloud solution for the vault - you can share one free dropbox account... That is what I do for a similar situation.

• MisterLuigi
    MisterLuigi
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Thanks, splinna! My wife and I have separate free Personal Dropbox accounts which are actively used and have totally separate items. So, I don't think we could use those. But, I signed up for a free "Business" Dropbox account a year or two ago and never ended up using it. So, if I understand you correctly I believe my wife and I could use/share this "Business" Dropbox account as our 1Password 7 for Mac backup account. Right? I don't know if I'll get a response from Agile Bits about this as I suspect that one of the reasons why 1Password single-pay licenses are no longer available on the Mac App Store is b/c AgileBits wants customers to buy multiple single-pay licenses for multiple people. It's not like I don't get that. They are in this business to make money while serving their customers. Of course, I need to watch my finances too! So, your Dropbox suggestion seems like a good one. Thanks again.

• splinna
    splinna
    Community Member

It is what I have done for the last 4+ years. we have 1 mac and 2 phones. We use the family sharing license from the app store to have the iOS version of the app installed on each phone. We went down the path of dropbox originally because we had the phones and a PC to begin with and dropbox was the only neutral solution that would work to tie those two platforms together at the time. so we share 1 dropbox account on all three devices. Use a very strong master password for 1Password and do our own backups on the mac. Has worked flawlessly! Good luck!

• MisterLuigi
    MisterLuigi
    Community Member

Hi splinna, Thanks for staying with me on this. My situation is a little more "exciting" than yours as my wife and I have 8 Apple devices in total running 1Password. But, everything is running smoothly now...with your help.

Cheers, Mr. Luigi

• splinna
    splinna
    Community Member

Awesome - which means it should work fine for me when I upgrade as well!

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MisterLuigi, @splinna, glad you have found a solution.

In the future, if more members begin using 1Password or you add other devices (e.g. Android phones, Windows PCs), be sure to checkout the 1Password membership as it makes managing multiple devices and family members seamless.

This discussion has been closed.