Holy crap I can't open 1Password v6 after installing v7!

erice23
erice23
Community Member

I installed v7 thinking I could give it a try before deciding if I want to pay to upgrade from v6. But after installing I can't do anything with v7 unless I subscribe or upgrade. In other words, it's not a trial. So I closed it and tried to open v6. Nope. I then look in Finder and see that the v6 application was renamed to "1Password6.app.zip". I tried renaming it back to the original .app extension and it still won't happen. Awesome. I now can't use 1Password at all.

Please, AgileBits. This isn't cool. I need access to my vault immediately. ???

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

I've just typed out some advice for somebody else which will probably help you to revert properly to 1Password 6. Please excuse the link: it just saves me typing it all out again here. :)

Edit: there is a process you need to follow but when you reach the part about unzipping the 1Password 6 installation note all you have to do is to double click on the zip file in Finder. Don't do that before you follow the earlier parts of the process though.

Stephen

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @erice23! I'm sorry for the trouble. Let's get you back into your data.

Actually, the instructions @Stephen_C gave you in the link he provided should've worked for you -- but let us know if that's not the case. For the record, 1Password 7 zips up your old copy of 1Password 6 for Mac because it's problematic to have two different versions of 1Password on your device but we don't want to delete any apps - even our own. So we just create a zip file. However, simply renaming the file extension won't change the fact that it's a zip file; you'll need to change it back to 1Password.app.zip and then just double-click it to restore. Make sure BEFORE you do that, that you've Quit 1Password 7 completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu). Let us know how it goes! :)

This discussion has been closed.