Accidentally installed 1Password 7, can I restore 1Password 6?

Options
tgoas
tgoas
Community Member

I've been using 1Password 6 for a few years without a membership. My team purchased 50 seats of 1Password Mac + Windows Bundle. It's great, does everything I need!

After reading the announcement today, I downloaded 1Password 7, which replaced my version of 1Password 6. This action promptly locked me out of my passwords 😧. I arrive at this screen:

I do not have any of this information ☝️ (I'm locked out of my password manager, remember?). Only thing I have is a onepassword-license file I received when I first signed up, but the information in it does not match these fields.

I do not have a membership, Maybe later, but for now I just want my passwords back.

I didn't realize this was a paid upgrade for 1Password 6 users. The blog post doesn't mention that before linking to 7's download. Again maybe later, but for now I just want my passwords back.

Seems 1Password 6 has been removed from the download page and App Store. I've read through existing posts here, (especially this one), but haven't found a solution that doesn't end in me paying money to get my passwords back.

If you can't already tell... I'd really like my passwords back until I can decide how to move forward with 1Password. I'm frustrated that it wasn't made obvious for all customers what would happen when 1Password 7 is installed.

1Password Version: 6.latest
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• tgoas
    tgoas
    Community Member
    Options

Thankfully there is a way! I found this answer posted 1 minute before this question.

1PW7 should leave a zipped version of 1PW6. So just quit 1PW7 (quit completely, not just the main app), trash it, delete trash, and unzip 1PW6.

And it does! I opened up my Applications folder and there was a 1Password 6 zip file. After removing 1Password 7, I was able to unzip and use 1Password 6.

• cqellis
    cqellis
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem - This is beyond frustrating.
    I downloaded - by mistake 1 password 7.... did not want to upgrade - so managed to get back 1 password 6 but have lost all my logins on my computer. I still have them on my iphone and ipad. I have looked at my sync method on my iphone and it shows icloud. how do I get the primary vault with all my passwords back on to my Mac 1 password?

1Password Version: 1 password 6
    Extension Version: 4.7.1
    OS Version: high sierra 10.13.04
    Sync Type: iCloud

• cqellis
    cqellis
    Community Member
    Options

I did that but all my data is gone!

• Tigre12
    Tigre12
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, after it created havoc with all data and now I cannot even find 1PW 6 license.

• nibblemac
    nibblemac
    Community Member
    Options

Try using Time Machine to go back to before your upgraded to 1Password 7. Restore the 1Password 6 application file from your applications folder. This worked for me, hopefully it will work for others too.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I've outline this procedure in several posts and it seems to have worked for people in a similar situation.

Stephen

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cqellis and @Tigre12, let me know if you're still having trouble after following the tips of nibblemac and Stephen_C above. I'd be happy to help either of you two further. :)

• Tigre12
    Tigre12
    Community Member
    Options

No problem restoring everything. It does take some work but nothing is lost. I had to reinstall extensions for Safari and other browsers, thoguh

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Tigre12 glad everything went smoothly! Let me know if you need any help with anything (or want to give an upgrade to 1Password 7 another shot). :)

• Cultuurbased
    Cultuurbased
    Community Member
    Options

I experience the same problem. 1Password 7 installed after a marketing trap to upgrade to experience 1P7 for free during a month's trial. Now I experienced 1P7 and to me it was underwhelming, so I'd like to go back to 1P6. However I do not see a zipped 1P6 in my Applications folder nor elsewhere on my Mac.
    How can I get back to the version I trust and find practical and user friendly?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You can download version 6 again from our downloads page @Cultuurbased (the link in this post is also a direct link to save you time).

And welcome to the forum!

• Cultuurbased
    Cultuurbased
    Community Member
    Options

Now that is a rapid response. :-)
    Thanks.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2019
    Options

@Cultuurbased

I'm glad Ana was able to help. :+1: We can't recommend using an older version. 1Password 6 has been retired and is no longer being updated. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. If you opt to revert to an earlier version that is your prerogative, but it isn't something we can recommend. That said, licenses never expire, and so you can continue using any version you've licensed for as long as it works for you. Reverting to version 6 should be considered a temporary measure. As things continue to evolve around the now retired v6 it will be less and less practical to continue using it. For example, the upcoming Safari 13 will be using an all new extension framework, and as such will not work with v6.

Ben

• dannyt
    dannyt
    Community Member
    Options

Ben, people are going back to v6 because v7 is a neutered version. When are you guys going to finally accept the feedback from your customers that we want a fully functional version back, specifically Mini. It it's current form is it pretty much useless compared to what it is in v6. Bring back mini exactly as it is in v6!

• Ben
    Options

Hi @dannyt

Change is difficult. We aren't going to go back to v6. We would certainly be open to hearing more about how you'd like to see us improve v7. Please feel free to start a new thread with your feedback if you haven't already shared it with us.

Ben

• stevegarrett22
    stevegarrett22
    Community Member
    Options

UGHHHHHH I also was duped into downloading version 7 on my mac, not realizing that it was a paid upgrade. I am totally happy with version 6 thank you. Following directions above I was able to re-install v6. For the moment all seems to be good. Just wondering now when the other shoe will drop and 1Password will force me into a paid upgrade.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

@stevegarrett22 Both shoes have already dropped. You can stay on ver. 6 as long as you want to, but ver. 7 is a paid upgrade either as a license or as a subscription. hth

• Ben
    Options

vplewis is correct. :+1:

Ben

• GVB1
    GVB1
    Community Member
    Options

I am a long time 1Password user. I paid a fair amount for 1Password when I made the initial commitment. I have been using Chrome as my primary browser on my MacBook Pro for a long time, and when I tried to install an extension for Safari, so I could use that browser with my 1Password too, it downloaded 1password 7. Now when I try to use it in Safari, it asks me to subscribe for a monthly fee. Both the 1Password and 1Password 7 applications appear in my dock. Would rather not have to start paying for something I already paid for, but according to posts above, my version will no longer be updated, and I'm concerned about security and future issues. Unsure what to do. Don't want 2 versions on my computer. Cannot risk losing my 150+ logins nearly 200 total items. Would rather not pay again or get stuck with monthly fees, but I'm concerned this is the only safe option other that going back to Keychain or another password manager, but I have developed an affection for 1Password. Please advise.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @GVB1

We'd be happy to help. Having both versions installed is definitely not advisable. Please shoot us a diagnostic report so we can take a look at your setup and then we can recommend from there how to best proceed.

I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/549566/#Comment_549566
    • Your forum username

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• GVB1
    GVB1
    Community Member
    Options

[#IZG-22922-555]

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you @GVB1! I confirm that I was able to locate your email in our systems. Someone will get back to it as soon as possible :)

In the meantime, have a great weekend!

ref: IZG-22922-555

This discussion has been closed.