1Password 7 extension won't install on Safari Technology Preview Release 57 (Safari 11.2, WebKit 136

JoeMikeB39
JoeMikeB39
Community Member

I am running Safari Technology Preview Release 57 (Safari 11.2, WebKit 13606.1.18) on MacOS 10.13.6 beta. I first attempted to install the 1Password 7 extension from the Safari Extensions Library, but in 11.2 clicking on Safari Extensions opens the MacOS App Store and the 1Password 7 extension is not found there. I then downloaded the extension from the 1Password site and attempted to install it manually. The installation worked for Safari 11.1.2 but Safari Technology Preview Release 57 (Safari 11.2, WebKit 13606.1.18) will not accept the installation and the error message reads "Safari Cannot Install This Extension". I tried moving the downloaded extension file to ~/Library/SafariTechnologyPreview/Extensions and restarted Safari Technology Preview but the extension is not recognized.

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.6 beta
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• HFTobeason
    HFTobeason
    Community Member

Also true for STP Release 58 (Safari 12.0, WebKit 13606.1.18.2) -- error: Safari no longer supports the unsafe extension "1Password".

• Vox
    Vox
    Community Member

Add me as a victim of this too...I miss my 1Password in Safari :(

• Ruyven
    Ruyven
    Community Member

Good news, it's still possible to install it!
    If you manually go to https://safari-extensions.apple.com with Safari Technology Preview, you can install 1Password from there.

• KBeat
    KBeat
    Community Member

Thanks Ruyven, that did the trick! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to everyone in this thread, and special thanks to @Ruyven for posting a solution. To be clear: although the vast majority of the time things WILL work in STP, that's where new changes come out first; where "the rubber meets the road," so to speak, so we don't guarantee 1Password will work reliably in dev/preview/canary builds. If it's critical to your workflow to have 1Password available to you, I'd recommend installing the stable build of Safari either instead of or alongside any beta/dev builds, so you have access if you need it. And of course, there's always copy/paste, as a last resort.

This discussion has been closed.