[bug] Cannot select password field type in custom field in 7.04 MAS

steven1
steven1
Community Member

When creating a custom field
1. it defaults to Text. OK
2. If you change the type to Password, the Field Type icon changes to the Password Field icon, but there is no button to generate a password.
3. The drop down still shows that the type is Text
4. You have to choose some other field type (say, URL)
5. Then you can select Password field type, and it works.

Frustrating 😅

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@steven1 - sorry for the trouble just now. I'm not able to replicate the behavior you're seeing with 1Password 7, however. Here's how it should be working for you (like it's working for me):

Are you not able to do this?

• steven1
    steven1
    Community Member

Hi @Lars,

It does indeed not work as you showed. Could you try in the main app, not mini, and also before you change the field type, Add a description to the new field and then try the above.

You should then see the same behaviour.

Custom password fields are often used for security questions, and I am in the habit of naming my sections and fields first before even generating the password.

Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@steven1

Could you try in the main app, not mini, and also before you change the field type,

That was in the main app, not the mini, but sure, here you go:

• steven1
    steven1
    Community Member

Hi @Lars,

What you showed does not work for me. But of course, what I was doing is something just slightly different. Once you enter the description for the field, TAB to move to the field itself, and then try to change the field type. You should then have the same problem with changing the field type.

Thanks
    Steve

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@steven1 - I'm sorry for the inconvenience. What I showed in the videos above will work for you, however, unless there's something else wrong as well. We do indeed have a bug that's retaining field type value when you change it specifically the way you did. We'll have a fix for it out soon, hopefully, but there are multiple work-arounds for this issue, including doing it the way I did (changing the field value before tabbing into new field) or alternatively, just re-selecting the field-type you want (on the second try, the stale field type value will be removed and the properties of the type you selected will be displayed, so you can continue on).

• steven1
    steven1
    Community Member

Hi @Lars,

No worries. I can work around it. Yes, it does work like you showed. But I am simply trying to help with what is obviously a bug. A simple thanks "yes that's a bug, but here's a workaround in the meantime" would be more than sufficient. That would be better than "stop bothering us with this stuff" :-)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@steven1 - sorry for the misunderstanding. Most of the time, when people write in here, it's because they have an issue they want solved for themselves. We're always happy to have detailed, accurate bug reports from the field. :)

This discussion has been closed.