Font Size-how do I set? [1Password's font size is not customizable]

Options
RBL100
RBL100
Community Member
edited February 2020 in Mac

I just upgraded to 1Password 7 for Mac. The new look is nice but many things now appear to be in a smaller font. On my laptop and with my old eyes, they're getting barely visible. The normal places to set font sizes are under Edit or Preferences. I don't see it. I also tried searching for Font in Help. I just don't see anything useful.

How do I set the the fonts just one size bigger ?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• DriverDon
    DriverDon
    Community Member
    Options

I do not see a setting for this either. You would think for Accessibility reasons this would be adjustable. I tried "Zoom" under the "Window" menu but that just maximizes the window.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RBL100 - sorry for the inconvenience. At present, we don't have adjustable font sizes. At 51 years old, I definitely hear you with regard to "old eyes," but for us, the problem is that as 1Password is localized into more and more languages, many of the assumptions about size of text areas have to be revisited because what's 61 characters in one language might be 37 in another and 115 in still another. All of this affects window size, and that gets even more sticky if you allow for adjustable font sizes. We're looking into ways this can be done in a manner that takes into account older eyes like yours and mine, while ensuring some text isn't rendered completely invisible due to size and language. Thanks for your patience.

• RBL100
    RBL100
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, small laptop and older eyes (15 years on you) do make it a strain sometimes. I look forward to your solution and hope this isn't dropped in lieu of other features.

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RBL100 Totally agreed, even if I'm a little young! In the meantime, a little bit of the lovely built-in macOS Zoom accessibility feature might do the trick across your whole system, in case you need it. :)

• MikDev
    MikDev
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars
    Absolutely agree to I'm over 50 and just upgrade to v 7.1.1 - my old Version 6.8.9 was WAY MORE Readable, also because we had the possibility of the second bigger view option (View > Item List Layout > Top)

=> so if it is too difficult to factor in a change Font size option, just bring back the second view from Version 6
    +1 on bringing back View > Item List Layout > Top

Thanx for listening and keep in mind that we're all getting older ;-)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MikeDev - I can say with reasonable certainty that we are not going to be bringing back Top Layout. But I'll certainly pass along your experiences and wishes with regard to readability.

• PericlesC
    PericlesC
    Community Member
    Options

It's not a perfect workaround but if you hit Command + E while viewing a card you'll be in Edit mode which curiously shows the note font 1 size larger. Some might find this useful...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• Real Batman
    Real Batman
    Community Member
    Options

1 year has passed... I've upgraded to vs. 7.3.2... and my old eyes are struggling. PLEASE provide a way to increase the size of the font!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the feedback :+1:

• jubishop
    jubishop
    Community Member
    Options

just wanted to toss in my feedback that i'd also love to be able to increase font size. this is basically the only app i use that i can't increase font size on.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for letting us know, @jubishop. :+1:

Ben

• nopretenders
    nopretenders
    Community Member
    Options

It's now 2/19/2020 and I still can't increase the font size

• Ben
    Options

That's correct, @nopretenders. Thanks for letting us know this is still a concern for you. At this time some of the accessibility features in macOS Catalina may be of some help:

macOS Catalina - Features - Apple

e.g. Hover Text, Zoom Display, etc.

Ben

• nopretenders
    nopretenders
    Community Member
    Options

I still use High Sierra. I just upgraded to 7 today and if this is something that's not going to be addressed I'd rather continue to use 6. What's the process for gettin a refund and going back to 6?

• Ben
    Options

Please reach out to us at support@1password.com for assistance with that. :)

Ben

• nopretenders
    nopretenders
    Community Member
    Options

So your saying the font size issue is not going to be addressed?

• Real Batman
    Real Batman
    Community Member
    Options

It hasn't been 'fixed' since June, 2018. So... it's not going to be addressed. Very frustrating.

• apb123
    apb123
    Community Member
    Options

I have low vision. It would be nice if you could increase the font, to be considerate to those with accessibility issues. +1 to this feature from me.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for letting us know @apb123. I don't have any news to share, but as far as I'm aware it hasn't been decided against. I couldn't say when (or if) it'll be addressed, though. In the meantime I'd suggest utilizing the accessibility features currently available through the operating system.

Ben

• sstein
    sstein
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I don't need a bigger font for buttons and Lists. That is ok.
    But this week I change from 1P6 to 1P7 and can not read my 'secure notes' anymore. There are much smaller now.

I do NOT want to resize my OS X with all applications! All other apps are fine and to upsize the OS with all apps make they worse.
    I only need to get the securenotes in 1Password at least 2pt bigger. This will NOT break 1P or the different language options in any way!!!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for your feedback as well @sstein :+1:

• Real Batman
    Real Batman
    Community Member
    Options

Agile doesn't want to fix this problem. It's been an issue since vs. 7 was released. The admins just thank you for your contribution and move on. Sad.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Real Batman:

Unfortunately there are just so many hours in the day: while we would love to work on everything right now, we must prioritize what we work on. Thank you for your understanding.

• Real Batman
    Real Batman
    Community Member
    Options

Pfftt. The will is not there, don't BS me about hours in a day. This was requested LONG before June, 2018 but this thread alone has gone on since then. This is the only app that doesn't allow the font to be changed (in my long list of apps). It is very difficult to read so don't placate me, and the other subscribers.

• Ben
    Options

Okay. :+1: :)

Ben

• sorens
    sorens
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for being able to increase the font size of the Secure Notes.

I recently returned to journaling (I wanted to capture my thoughts during the current corona virus experience) and I am unable to read the Secured Notes as-is. I am currently using the macOS Accessibility feature to zoom the whole screen, which is limiting as well, but allows me to continue to use 1Password to journal without having to switch the resolution (which is a less ideal solution).

I know programming the text styles/runs to be multibyte character aware and also dynamically sized is one of the more challenging issues in GUI application development. Yet, I hope it is a challenge your team decides to take on.

I thoroughly enjoy 1Password. I have owned it since the very first version and plan to keep on supporting it.

Thank you for a well designed and executed product and service.

Stay safe and secure,
    Steve

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the kind words @sorens :+1: :) They mean a lot in such a challenging situation.

• billtorcaso
    billtorcaso
    Community Member
    Options

Your explanation about the challenges of localization in many languages seems quite weak; every language community includes people who want a larger font size, whether for aging eyesight or other disabilities.

You would make a lot of customers happy by providing TWO FONT SIZES, called normal and larger. My own preference is to have larger be either 16-point (preferred) or 18-point.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the feedback as well @billtorcaso :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.