Switch from 1PW (subscription) to Regular 1PW

jkav
jkav
Community Member

I don't want to continue to use my 1PW subscription. Is there an easy way to downgrade to the regular 1PW? Do I need to "re buy" 1PW standalone to do this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kwoffa
    kwoffa
    Community Member

I downloaded version 7 and signed up for the subscription option, and even the family account upgrade, but then I discovered that version 7 doesn't work so well, and I decided that it was far too buggy to persevere with.
    I just used Time Machine to restore my previous version of 1Password, (6.8.8), for which I had bought a standalone licence, and then I trashed version 7.
    The old version works a treat for both users of my Mac, which version 7 definitely didn't.
    That is the way to get the older standalone version back. I am still trying to delete my subscription account and cancel my payment for it, and so far I've had no human response from AgileBits Support.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jkav - you can indeed switch back to standalone 1Password from a 1password.com membership. Follow these instructions to get yourself switched back. And yes, you'll need to purchase a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac to continue using the new version if you do this. Let us know if you have questions.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kwoffa - sorry for the trouble! To be clear, upgrading from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7 is a separate issue from switching from a standalone setup to a 1password.com membership. They can each be done independently of one another, or you can (but don't have to) switch to 1password.com at the same time that you upgrade from version 6 to version 7.

I'm not sure what you found not working well about after your upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac and switch to a 1password.com membership, but I'd be happy to help you fix it, if you like. I'm glad restoring 1Password 6 for Mac from a Time Machine backup worked for you, but that is definitely not the way to return to version 6.8.x. When 1Password 7's installer runs, it should leave a file in your Applications folder called 1Password 6.app.zip. To revert to 6.8.x, all you need to do is Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), drag the 1Password 7 app to your Mac's trash, empty the Trash and then double-click that zip file to return to 1Password 6 for Mac. That's the recommended way to do it.

I'm sorry for the delay in our response times; with the near-simultaneous launch of both 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Windows, we've been inundated with support requests far above our normal volumes, and it's caused a bit of a backlog. We're working hard to get back to our usual quick response times, but in the meantime, we thank you for your patience as we work to answer each user's issue or question in the order we received it. One thing you can do to help speed up response times is to choose a method of communication (this forum, email, etc) and stick with it -- if you post the same question/problem to multiple avenues of contact, we have to stop and coordinate answer among multiple people here over multiple lines of communication, and the result is potentially duplicated answers and slower response times for everyone, including you.

I see my colleague Steve has been assisting you via email, so if you still need assistance, let's keep the conversation going over there via email, if that's OK with you. Thanks! :)

• kwoffa
    kwoffa
    Community Member

Thanks Lars.

Quote: "To revert to 6.8.x, all you need to do is Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), drag the 1Password 7 app to your Mac's trash, empty the Trash and then double-click that zip file to return to 1Password 6 for Mac. "

Well that's all very well, but where does it say that? I did what seemed logical at the time, and without any guidance from AgileBits Tech Support because of the delay caused by the release of 7. And it worked for me.

I appreciate that I misunderstood what the OP was trying to do; I wrongly assumed he'd done what I'd done re licensing etc. My mistake.

I have spoken with Steve via email, and for the present I have decided to stick with version 6, which 'ain't broke'.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

@kwoffa

Well that's all very well, but where does it say that? I did what seemed logical at the time, and without any guidance from AgileBits Tech Support because of the delay caused by the release of 7.

Apologies if my response sounded argumentative to you; it wasn't meant to be that at all...but we have to compose our answers here not just for you (for whom, as you noted, it worked) but for others who may come along an hour or a week or six months later from a Google search and try out what they find listed as having worked. That's why I mentioned what the recommended way to revert to 1Password 6 is, should a user want to do that -- so it's one more place that it's spelled out explicitly. :)

Glad to hear you've discovered a solution that works for you. 1Password 6 was the current version until very recently, so it enjoys the stability a very mature version acquires over time. Certainly there's no reason not to continue using 1Password 6 today...but because its no longer receiving development attention, the day will come when the steady march of technological advancement starts to make version 6 less and less functional. I'd recommend revisiting 1Password 7 before too much time goes by -- but the choice, as always, is yours. Cheers!

ref: ZGK-73127-993

This discussion has been closed.