v7 mini in menu bar, but v6 in browsers

drizzler
drizzler
Community Member

I upgraded from v6 to v7. Now every time I restart my Mac I get both v6 and v7 in the menu bar. And even if I quit the v6 mini, my browsers (Firefox, Chrome) still open up v6 when I try to autofill or click the 1Password icon. No matter what I do, I can't get v7 to open in the browsers.

In Activity Monitor I can see 3 1Password items running:

1Password 7
1Password Extension Helper
1Password Mini

The first 2 are from v7, and the Mini is from v6 (even after I quit the Mini in the menu bar).

So, how do I get the v7 mini working in the browsers?

1Password Version: 6.8.9, 7.0.4
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: Mac OS 10.13.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

That is a little strange because normal installation of 1Password 7 zips your 1Password 6 installation (i.e., removes it and places it all in one zip file) and puts the zip file in your Applications folder. Thus you should not be left with any trace of 1Password 6 to run. Two questions:

1. Do you have a 1Password 6.zip file in your Applications folder?
    2. If so, do you have any other copy of 1Password 6 anywhere on any drive attached to your Mac (for example, on a backup drive)?

Stephen

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Is anything showing up in Login Items in System Preferences > Users and Groups?

• drizzler
    drizzler
    Community Member

I do not have a zip file in the applications folder. Does it matter that it's not there?

However, I did have a copy of the 1Password 6 app in the Applications folder on my external backup drive. I removed that, restarted the Mac, and now everything seems to be fine. Activity Monitor now shows these 3 items:

1Password 7
    1Password Extension Helper
    1PasswordNativeMessageHost

No more signs of version 6 in the menu bar or in the browsers. Odd that an app on an external drive could cause this problem, but it looks like that was it. Thanks!

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

Glad everything's back to how it should be now @drizzler! Indeed deleting 1Password 6 was a perfect cure. :)

Let us know anytime if there's anything more we can do to help!

This discussion has been closed.