Missing features in 7

pixelsrzen
pixelsrzen
Community Member

Dude.

What happened to the folder structure I had organized my items into in 6? You could at least have parsed that metadata into tags on import.

When are you going to support document export? One of my favorite features in 6 was the ability to store license documents in the database. Now I’m stuck only being able to use the account based storage until you can support document export. I’m hoping that is in your plans.

There seems to be some discrepancies on import between my iCloud-stored vault and the new 1Password-stored vault. Is there a way to do an intelligent merge between these vaults, or am I going to have to dig through 1000 items, that will now be duplicated, to tag them and eliminate the duplicates.

Super disappointed with the transition from 6 to 7. Your software is central to everything I do. You should be inspiring confidence, not raising issues and increasing anxieties, and on top of that, now I’m tied to a monthly payment plan.

Complaints and frustrations aren’t very helpful to you, I realize. You should however be aware that discontent in your user base exists, and this level of disappointment may very well motivate them to seek alternatives rather than dig through the shortcomings of your latest release.

Best wishes on weathering this roll out. Here’s hoping I’ve just done something stupid, and my issues can be quickly resolved.

Thanks,

pixelsrzen

1Password Version: 7.04
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Good afternoon, @pixelsrzen. I'm terribly sorry for the poor experience you're having with 1Password 7. Let me go item by item here:

What happened to the folder structure I had organized my items into in 6? You could at least have parsed that metadata into tags on import.

Folders in 1Password 7 have been updated to Tags. If you're not seeing Tags for all your old Folders you can re-run the migration:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Click on the Help menu and choose Tools > Migrate Folders to Tags…

When are you going to support document export? One of my favorite features in 6 was the ability to store license documents in the database. Now I’m stuck only being able to use the account based storage until you can support document export. I’m hoping that is in your plans.

I'm not quite sure I follow here. 1Password 7 should have all the same features that 1Password 6 had in this regard. Could you break it down for me as a bug report?

# Bug Report
    ## Steps to produce

1. IF_YOU_PUT_THEM_IN_A_NUMBERED_LIST_IT_WILL_BE_FORMATTED_NICELY

## Expected behavior

WHAT_YOU_THOUGHT_WOULD_HAPPEN

## Actual behavior

WHAT_AWFUL_THING_HAPPENED_INSTEAD

## Additional information

ANYTHING_THAT_MIGHT_HELP_THE_DEVELOPER_THAT_IS_ASSIGNED_FIND_THE_PROBLEM

There seems to be some discrepancies on import between my iCloud-stored vault and the new 1Password-stored vault. Is there a way to do an intelligent merge between these vaults, or am I going to have to dig through 1000 items, that will now be duplicated, to tag them and eliminate the duplicates.

We actually have a de-duplication feature that you can use. I would create a special vault in your account to do this:

1. Select all the items from your iCloud vault.
    2. Drag them to the (+) New Vault button in the vault list.
    3. Create a new vault
    4. Select all the items in your Personal vault.
    5. Drag them to the new vault.
    6. Select this vault.
    7. Click on the Help menu and choose Tools > Clean Up Duplicate Items.

Once you've verified that your items are in good shape you can delete all the items from your Personal vault and then drag the items over from your de-duplication vault. You may then delete that vault at your leisure.

Again, my apologies for the troubles that you've run in to. Hopefully what I've provided above will help you out, but if not just let me know and we'll dig in some more.

• pixelsrzen
    pixelsrzen
    Community Member

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, the Clean Up Duplicate items did not work, nor did the Migrate Folders to Tags. Many of the entries show a dozen or more ‘Conflicts’ but they weren’t resolved. I just spent four or five hours combing through several hundred duplicates. Attempts to optimize the database also did nothing. Now I need to re-associate license documents with their respective entries, and rebuild my folder structure into tags from a screen shot of my IP6 folder structure.

I appreciate your attempt to help, but my migration was a near complete failure. I’ve been using 1P since version 3, I think, but I doubt I’ll upgrade further than 7.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pixelsrzen: I'm sorry that you had so much trouble with this in the first place, and also that MrRooni 's suggestions didn't help either. I wish I knew why that would happen in your case, and I'd definitely like to try to get to the bottom of that to see what can do to not only help you, but also avoid issues like this in the future.

I guess the first question I had was if you're now using a local vault and syncing your data yourself, or using a 1Password.com account...and re-reading your comments, I get the impression that may be at least partially involved here. It sounds like you may have tried to migrate to a 1Password.com account but left your original vault in the app, and are seeing "duplicates" because you've got both displayed in All Vaults. These are not duplicates; they're items in completely separate vaults. The "Clean Up Duplicate Items" feature works to remove items that have the same data within the same vault, and only when the items are truly the same. Similarly, sync conflicts in items from a local vault are also not something that 1Password can fix for you, as 1Password cannot tell you what data of yours is "valid" and what isn't, and decide which to throw out.

I also wonder if there may be some confusion about Documents in 1Password.com. Did you perhaps manually copy/move your data from one vault to another instead of using the account migration? That's not new in 1Password 7, and it would go a long way toward explaining why your experience has been so different. The migration would have converted attachments to linked Documents and folders into tags, so rather than doing all of this by hand, maybe it's worth re-doing it and using that instead.

I could be wrong about all of this though, so please let me know more about what you did and where you're at. I'm sure we can find a solution for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.