Multiple users MacBook

kretschi
kretschi
Community Member

Hallo,

I have the standalone version 1Password 7. Is it possible to use the same version on an other user account (for my wife)?
How can I activate it?

Thanks, Andreas.

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @kretschi,

From a licensing perspective, when using a standalone license, each person is required to have a license. From a technical perspective, once your wife is either licensed or subscribed, she can simply launch 1Password from the Applications folder on the Mac. :)

I hope that helps!

Ben

• purschi
    purschi
    Community Member

Hello, same problem on my MacBook. Using 1P 6 it was no problem using 1P in two user accounts. Why didn't it work in 1P 7?

• Hi @purschi

Did you have a chance to read my post just above yours? It should work just fine, but if you’re using a standalone license each person will need their own license.

Thanks.

Ben

• purschi
    purschi
    Community Member

Hi Ben, I´m able to read! But in 1P 6 I had 1 standalone license too and it worked. Is this behavior new in 1P7?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

@purschi asked -

But in 1P 6 I had 1 standalone license too and it worked. Is this behavior new in 1P7?

In a sense, yes, this has changed, but the change wasn't made at the same time as version 7 arrived. The licensing terms changed to those described by @Ben a couple of years or so ago, when version 6 was still the current version. The standalone license from then on has been sold on a per-person, per-platform (and now per-major upgrade) basis, so that each user may use the license on as many machines of the same platform as he/she wishes, but only that single user. Likewise, a user of standalone licenses would need to buy a second license for, say, Windows. You can continue to use the license you have for version 6 under the terms that were in effect when you bought it as long as you like (or until an OS change renders it unusable). There won't be any further development of version 6, unless a serious security issue arises.

Your license for version 6 undoubtedly was purchased before this change in terms, when there was a Family license for the standalone version (actually, the only version at that time) sold for up to five family members living in the same household. Mine own license was that way too. Since there have been no paid upgrades since the terms were changed, many users were undoubtedly unaware of the change and were surprised when it came up when upgrading to version 7.

If you are interested, there is now a Family Membership (with a monthly charge) that accommodates up to five family members and includes access to all the applications for all supported platforms. Updates and upgrades are also included in the membership.

(I have no connection to 1Password. I am conveying information only.)

• purschi
    purschi
    Community Member

Hi @kretschi, good news, it is possible. Here the official answer from 1P-Support:

You may use the license in the other user account.

The license file should be attached to a "1Password 7" Software License item in your vault. Send that file to the other user account when you get to the big "Welcome to 1Password 7" window, just double click the license file and your app should become licensed.

I tried out. Runs perfectly!!! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

@purschi - @hawkmoth has hit the main points here quite well: if you want to stick with a standalone setup, then each user will need his or her own license. That's why we recommend 1Password Families for households where more than one person wants to use 1Password: because it gets expensive to purchase multiple license for each individual (one for Mac, one for Windows, maybe one for Android or iOS). If 1Password Families sounds like it might be something you're interested in, you can head over to the main 1Password Families sign-up page and try out a full 30 days, free! All 1Password memberships include all four of our native 1Password apps for as long as you maintain the membership.

ref: NDJ-23263-371

This discussion has been closed.