1password 7 Not Importing from 1password 6

yoner
yoner
Community Member

I'm a long-time 1password 6 user. I just downloaded and installed 1password 7. It never automatically imported my vault from 1password 6 like it claims to do on your website. So, I decided to do a manual export/import. I exported all of my items out of 1password 6 and tried to import them manually into 1password 7, but it wont let me do that. Apparently 1password 7 can't read 1password 6's export file type. Please advise.

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• PWChinook
    PWChinook
    Community Member

I've had both Mac OSX and IOS licenses since 2013. Every time there's an upgrade, I'm prompted to download it. I currently have 6.8.9. For Version 7, I'm getting no prompt and when I ask if there's an upgrade, I get the message that I'm using the latest version.

I decided to download 7 which went fine but I'm not able to use it. I don't have a 1PW Account nor sign-in address nor Secret Key; just a License.

Why is the Version 7 upgrade different? What do I do? Thanks

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@yoner where were your 1Password 6 items? Were they stored locally on your Mac or were there on another device synchronised through iCloud or Dropbox?

@PWChinook what exactly do you mean by:

I decided to download 7 which went fine but I'm not able to use it.

Do you mean that it's in read only mode, for example?

Just in case either of you wish to return to 1Password 6 and either stay with that or then venture again into the choppy waters of the 1Password 7 upgrade there is a post of mine here which should help you.

For what it's worth, you can still buy a standalone licence for 1Password 7 but the option is infuriatingly obscured in the 1Password 7 setup screens—which attempt to lure the unsuspecting into trying a trial subscription on 1Password.com. Further, the AgileBits' knowledge base article on upgrading to 1Password 7 is very unhelpful in the context of standalone licences and says merely:

If you purchased a license before then, you’ll see two options in the app when you upgrade:

Try a 1Password membership free for 30 days, which includes 1Password 7.
    Purchase a license for 1Password 7 for Mac.

There are no screen shots and there is no indication of just how you get to the option to purchase a standalone licence. @Lars has at one time posted some very helpful screen shots in this forum but I can't for the life of me now find them among the tsunami of recent posts. :(

Stephen

• PWChinook
    PWChinook
    Community Member

Thank you Stephen!

I mean I normally find out about 1PW upgrades when I open my older version and get a dialog box telling me about a new version. I asked for the download which replaced my older version and rebooted; everything worked smoothly. This time, I heard about 1PW V7 externally but when I click on the "check for updates" in V6, I get the message that "I'm using the latest version". HUH??

So I went to the 1PW site and downloaded V7. This action DID NOT REPLACE V6.8.9 in my Applications folder (as happened in the past); instead, it zipped the V6 files and ADDED the V7 files. But V7 does not work because 1PW wants me to log in to confirm my right to the version. I can not do that; I've never had to do that; I don't know how to do that.

For now, I unzipped the V6 files in Applications (having both versions supposedly available) and I can still use V6. But I'd like to use V7 unless it's going to cost me a monthly fee or something else maddening.

How can I use my V7? Why is this so hard?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@PWChinook 1Password 7 is a paid upgrade from 1Password 6 if you used a standalone licence for 1Password 6. (If you were already using the subscription service at 1Password.com you can upgrade to 1Password 7 without paying anything above the usual monthly subscription).

There's more, tucked away at the end of this AgileBits' blog post about standalone licences for 1Password 7:

Those of you with a standalone license for version 6 will be prompted to subscribe or purchase a license when 1Password 7 first opens. Licenses will cost $64.99 but are available during our launch special for only $49.99. Licenses are per-person, per-platform so you can use your single license on as many Macs as you have.

If you do want a standalone licence for 1Password 7 I suggest you do the following:

• Quit 1Password 6 fully by pressing control + command + Q.
    • Run 1Password 7 and go to the 1Password 7 menu, where there should be a menu item allowing you to buy a standalone licence.

If you're still in difficulties do please post again.

Stephen

• PWChinook
    PWChinook
    Community Member

AHA!!

Thanks again, Stephen... Does anyone know if this is a "one-of" additional license? As I noted, all previous upgrades did not require new licenses. If I buy this one, am I good for another five years?

Finally, what happens to all the V6 users who do not upgrade? Will V6 be supported indefinitely or will it go the way of the dodo bird in due course, forcing an eventual upgrade to the newer system?

OK, one more... Is V7 worth it?

Thanks

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@PWChinook:

Does anyone know if this is a "one-of" additional license? As I noted, all previous upgrades did not require new licenses. If I buy this one, am I good for another five years?

AgileBits has traditionally worked on the basis that major number upgrades (e.g., 6 to 7) are paid but minor numbers (e.g., 7 to 7.1) are "free". However, that wasn't the case for the upgrade from 5 to 6 (so far as I recall: I think that was free). Clearly nobody knows what AgileBits will do in the future. Even if they know they're clearly not going to tell us. However, based on past experience major versions of 1Password have lasted a reasonable period of time—and they'll always point out to you that your licence doesn't expire so that you can continue to use a version until it's no longer compatible with the operating system you're running.

Finally, what happens to all the V6 users who do not upgrade?

Somewhere among the tsunami of posts from the past few weeks is an AgileBits' post indicating what you'd probably expect: that 1Password 6 will no longer be developed now that version 7 has been released. Sorry, I just can't find the post at present to provide a link to it.

Is V7 worth it?

In my view (which you'll appreciate is personal) it will be once AgileBits has ironed out a few annoying bugs and has developed rather more the new 1Password mini. As it is, I find it quite good and worth getting while the standalone licence is at the reduced rate now offered.

Stephen

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

@PWChinook - I'm sorry for the confusion!

I normally find out about 1PW upgrades when I open my older version and get a dialog box telling me about a new version. I asked for the download which replaced my older version and rebooted; everything worked smoothly. This time, I heard about 1PW V7 externally but when I click on the "check for updates" in V6, I get the message that "I'm using the latest version". HUH??

Sorry for the confusion. For now, that's functioning as intended. 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Windows were both launched within a very short time period, and we expected a large rush of interested users - which is exactly what's happened. Our thinking on this was to delay putting the 7.0 notification into existing 1Password 6 for Mac setups (via the "Check for Updates") mechanism for two reasons: first, we wanted to be able to handle the influx of customer support that's inevitable with any new release without making users wait too long, and second, the type of 1Password user who scans the tech press and notices we've got a new full-version upgrade will likely have already found the links to our blog post announcing the 1Password 7 for Mac release, which includes the download link. We wanted to stagger a bit the number of people upgrading all at once, and since 1Password 6 for Mac is working just fine, we figured any users who are not aware from the larger world that version 7 exists won't mind not getting it immediately, especially since it is a new purchase for nearly all users.

So I went to the 1PW site and downloaded V7. This action DID NOT REPLACE V6.8.9 in my Applications folder (as happened in the past); instead, it zipped the V6 files and ADDED the V7 files.

That's also expected behavior. Since version 7 is a completely new version with a good deal of brand-new code, this isn't a standard incremental update; it's an entirely new thing. As such, we don't want to delete apps-- even our own -- from a user's computer, in case something goes wrong or you just decide you prefer the older version. If you're good with the upgrade to version 7, you can easily drag the zipped version 6 to your Mac's trash.

But V7 does not work because 1PW wants me to log in to confirm my right to the version. I can not do that; I've never had to do that; I don't know how to do that.

No, that's only the case if you chose the "Subscribe Now" button on the initial welcome screen:

Again, as outlined in the blog post I linked to earlier detailing the 1Password 7 for Mac release, this will be a new purchase for virtually all users, which means your other option above is "need a license?" Clicking that would result in you going through the license purchase option, not the subscription option. What won't work is re-using an existing license for an earlier version of 1Password for Mac.

Can I ask: if you Quit 1Password 6 and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q, what do you see now if you open 1Password 7 for Mac (you can include a screenshot of what you see, if that’s easier).

• yoner
    yoner
    Community Member

@Stephen_C @Lars Ok, I don't know why @PWChinook hijacked my thread. That's annoying. My issue is not resolved. I want to export ALL my 1Password 6 items and import them all into 1Password 7. The current export/import functionality does not work. My 1Password 6 vault is stored locally on my Mac. Please advise.

• yoner
    yoner
    Community Member

Actually, now that I think about it, I have no idea where my 1Password 6 vault technically lives.

• yoner
    yoner
    Community Member

UPDATE: I just exported all 1Password 6 items as a CSV file, and then in 1Password 7 I tried to import via CSV and it says "Error: invalid file format."

What?? How is that even possible? Why is this so hard?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@yoner -- I'm sorry for the trouble! Can you tell me a few things so I know how best to assist you?

1. What kind of setup did you have in 1Password 6 for Mac? Was it standalone (sounds like it)? If so, how many vaults did you have?
    2. What do you see when you open 1Password 7 for Mac now?

1Password 7 should automatically import your 1Password 6 data, assuming it's not damaged and is in the expected location. If that didn't happen for some reason, there are ways to solve this, but exporting and then re-importing as CSV is not a recommended path. Neither is running version 6 side by side with version 7. If you like you can take a screenshot of what you see in 1Password and attach it here -- but be sure not to post any personally-identifying information.

• PWChinook
    PWChinook
    Community Member

Stephen,

I'm so sorry about the thread "hijack". It was completely unintentional and I apologize. I actually wanted to start my own thread on the similar subject and inadvertently attached it to yours. J

PS. Thanks for the excellent help and I hope you get your issue solved quickly!!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@PWChinook - no worries -- at least, not from us. I'm sorry to @yoner that we didn't get back to him/her more quickly, but we'll get everyone sorted as soon as we can. Cheers! :)

• yoner
    yoner
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

@Lars For 1Password 6, I do have a standalone version. I only have one vault with various different categories in it.

When I first installed 1Password 7 and launched it for the first time, it didn't prompt me about importing any existing vaults, nor did it import anything on its own. Instead, it made me open a new 1Password account by registering. I thought that it would resolve itself after registration, but it didn't. I've attached a screenshot of what I see in 1Password 7 when I launch it. It's just a brand new private vault with nothing in it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@yoner - OK, thanks for the legwork and the screenshot. If you click the vault menu in the top left of that window from your screenshot (where it says "Personal"), is that the only vault you see? Or are there others? I'm asking because in the above image, you have the Personal vault selected so I can't tell how many (if any) other vaults there are. Can you let me know?

• yoner
    yoner
    Community Member

@Lars There are no other vaults.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

@yoner - OK, thanks for clarifying. With that being the case, I'd like you to open 1Password 7's File > Import menu and choose 1Password 6 as the source, like this:

Since you have only the one vault, you won't have a selection of where it should be imported into like I do in the above screenshot. Just click "Choose File," and you'll get a pop-up window to navigate to where the database file from version 6 is. Here's where you want to navigate to:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data/OnePassword.sqlite

Import that file, and you should get all your previous 1Password 6 data imported. Let me know how that goes. :)

• yoner
    yoner
    Community Member

@Lars That worked. Thank you for your patience and assistance.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@yoner - you're quite welcome! Glad I could help.

This discussion has been closed.