Backup items and other data

This discussion was created from comments split from: window resizing bug.

Comments

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member

I've also updated to 7.0.1 (from AgileBits), but attached screenshots shows a 1 item difference between Backup Items (237) & All Items (238).

What's out of sorts?

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member

Any ideas regarding my question above? ...Is there a way (a tool, maybe) to rebuild the Vault database?

BTW, I'm not having any problematic issues with 7.0.1. ...I am noticing some niggles, but given 1PW7 is so new, I'm uncertain whether they're fundamental issues. ...Some have more to do with setup of web site Login ID/Password, PIN, Security Question answers, given how 1PW7 handles them (as opposed to prior 1PWs). So, I'll leave those questions for another Post, once I've better understand what I think I'm observing.

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

I'll answer my own question, as I figured out that as I previously had my legacy Primary Vault (from 1PW 6.8.9 MAS) on my Mac, I was simply doing B/Us of the legacy Primary (where Items were not changing) since 1PW7 continues allowing B/Us when a legacy Primary Vault is present.

Once I deleted the legacy Primary Vault from my 1PW7 v7.0.1 (and, I now only have Vaults related directly to 1PW7 on my Mac), the ability to manually backup is no longer available since 1PW7 only does auto-B/Us to AgileBits. ...My full faith & confidence now resides with AgileBits. And, I’m Ok with that as I was with . :)

Interesting to note however, I see my iOS 1PW v7.0.6 retains sync connectivity with my legacy Primary Vault in my iCloud. Until I better understand whether there's any benefit / issue with retaining this legacy Primary Vault through iOS 1PW, I'll let it remain in my iCloud. ...If anyone from AgileBits can comment about deleting / keeping iCloud Vaults, post moving to 1PW7 subscription, please do.

• @pbGuy,

We do have something in the works in the way of an encrypted backup of your account data. If you want to purge what's in iCloud you can certainly do that, I think the easiest way to get there is 1Password 7 on your mac: Help -> Troubleshooting -> Reset iCloud Data to clear that out.

Rudy

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member

Thanks for the follow-up. I've already deleted my legacy, Primary Vault syncing with my iOS 1PW7.

I do have a follow-up regarding iOS 1PW backup in my iCloud Storage (viewable through my iOS Settings -> iCloud - Manage Storage - 1Password). ...Is this the data file left by the legacy, Primary Vault & which can be safely deleted; or, is the data file of the actual iOS 1PW7 app?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@pbGuy - if you're using nothing but 1password.com account vaults currently, then you can safely delete that data from iCloud. You can also do it from within 1Password for iOS Settings > Advanced > Delete iCloud Data (all the way down at the bottom, in red. Like most iOS apps, your real data file (the actual SQLite) resides in a non-user-serviceable portion of iOS, associated with the app itself. That's how (and why) you can delete all the data associated with an app in iOS just by removing the app, unlike the procedure in macOS, where you need to remove files from the ~/Library/Application Support folder (or ~/Library/Containers, if it's an Mac App Store app).

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Thanks for your reply. I am solely using 1PW.com (with 1PW7 Mac & iOS apps)

However, I'm wondering about removal of the the 1PW iCloud data file found by the navigating the iOS device's Settings (rather than through the 1PW iOS app; I've already deleted legacy, Primary Vault used used by 1PW6.x): iOS Device (iPhone/iPad) > Settings > AppleID-iCloud > iCloud > Manage Storage > 1Password > Delete Data. ...Is that Data file safe to delete as it's associated with iCloud Backups.

Regarding removal of macOS related items, I had purchased 1PW6.x through MAS. However when I switched to 1PW7, I acquired through AgileBits. Here's a snapshot of items related in ~/Library/Containers

Can these folders be safely deleted?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@pbGuy - So, the question I'd ask you is: do you need to delete it? It's not harming anything nor interfering with your 1Password setup. If the answer to that question is no, you don't need to delete it (for reasons of space or anything else), then I'd leave it alone. There are sometimes, with longer-time customers, two records for 1Password present in iCloud: one from the pre-iCloud Drive days (back in the Documents & Data format days) and one from a more-recent version of 1Password/iCloud. But unfortunately, there's no way to tell them apart, so we usually tell users that if they don't have a pressing need to delete these files, there's no reason not to leave them alone. In fact, this may be what you're seeing here, if you've been with us for a while.

On the other hand, if you have no 1Password data in iCloud at all, there's also no reason NOT to remove it, since all of your data is secure on the 1password.com servers, and doesn't depend upon iCloud backups at all. Your entire house with all your devices could be consumed by fire at the same time a hacker maliciously deleted your iCloud account...and your 1Password data would still be just fine. So it's really up to you.

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

I take your point in the 1st paragraph. However, I like to tidy up when I know it's safe as overtime apps seem to leave a lot of stuff behind. Since I'm totally on 1PW7 Membership, I'll be cleaning up.

Did you see my 2d follow-up question (in my prior post) about macOS stuff, highlighted by the snapshot?

• @pbGuy,

I'm not sure i'd recommend deleting those folders as they're for the current version of 1Password.

Rudy

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@pbGuy - I'm sorry, I did miss the second part of your previous post, and, as rudy says, definitely don't mess with those. That contains necessary information about saved browser connections, window size/position, etc. In fact, although I don't want to speak for anyone else's product besides 1Password, it's generally a really ill-advised idea to go messing around with deleting folders/files in ~/Library/... unless instructed to do so by the developer of a product you're having issues with.

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member

Thanks for the replies. :) @Lars, I do follow your advice (I delete legacy stuff when I'm sure it's Ok) and why I initially inquired. Your reply about Containers & MAS seemed to indicate those 1PW7 folders might not be related to Memberships (although I thought such counterintuitive). ...It's all clear now.

• @pbGuy,

To clarify, each application component that makes up 1Password 7 gets its own folder in ~/Library/Containers, so ultimately there's the possibility of having 4 folders (extension helper, launcher, 1password 7 and one password native message host). If you delete those folders each of their prefs files get deleted with it, the OS will re-create these folder structures the next time you launch 1Password, but your settings will be gone.

Both the Mac App Store and direct download from our website are sandboxed, and ~/Library/Containers is part of what the OS does for sandboxing, each app gets its own rooted directory inside the Containers folder.

Your actual 1Password data lives in ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits and this is how you're able to switch between the MAS version and the direct download version and not have to do any data migration, they share this same data folder.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.