1Password 6 migration to 1Password 7 for macOS

amcd
amcd
Community Member

I am used to 1Password 6.8.9 and confused about various 1Password 7 things and cannot find any detailed info on the website????

Sorry to ask all these questions but I cannot find an 1P_7 Instruction Manual on your web site.

**1> 1P_6 MIGRATION **

• I did not have any of the account data needed to install 1P_7 (e.g. Sign-in and Secret Key could not be recovered )
    • 1P_6 >Preferences >Accounts did not show a user and when I tried to add one I could not as it needed Fields Sign-In and Secret Key that I did not have?
    • To install 1P_7 trial account I had to create new user account.
    • Now magically 1P_6 >Preferences>Accounts shows a new email address and a Secret key. The old 1P_6 email was replaced with new one used for 1P_7 trial?. How did that happen?
    • I assume I can still use 1P_6 + 1P_7 trial ?

2>1P_7 SPECIFICS

• 1P_6 >Preferences has more options than 1P_7; namely.... Sync - WLAN Server - Backup.... what has happened to these in 1P_7?
    • Where is the 1P_7 Personal Vault stored?
  • -Where are New Vaults stored?
    • My IP_6 data was using your Apple Cloud-kit option...I can find no options for Cloud-Kit, Dropbox or Local?
    • Can it still use Apple Cloudkit /Dropbox/Local, etc ?
    • How do I create Backups. Where would they be stored?
    • How do I Manually Sync changes?
    • How can I create a local vault and where would it be stored on my Mac.
    • How do I migrate data from 1P_6? IP_7 has a migration option from previous 1Password and shows some local folder options but none of them work. So how can I migrate my 1P_6 data to the new 1P_7 ?

I am cautious to move from trial to a full subscription or paid license for 1P_7 at the moment for my macOS or iOS devices as 1P_6 works so well.

Looking forward to your response.

Allan

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: macOS 10.13.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• amcd
    amcd
    Community Member

**URGENT **- Following on from above....... Major 1P_6 Migration issue now....

I now note that my 1P_6 has gone into trial mode. using the new 1P_7 trial details.

I have a paid license for 1P_6... How do I get 1P_6 out of trial mode now...

Please email any needed details to my original 1P_6 license email.... amcd_reg@mcdonagh.biz

Thanks

• houdini100
    houdini100
    Community Member

I've been long time 1Password user but found going from v.6 to v.7 to be incredibly confusing. I had no idea what all was being asked or what was going on. Finally got all the setup done but there was no way to continue syncing with Dropbox. Apparently they don't have that ready yet? Had to hunt for how to completely delete v.7 and now I'm back to v.6 but left with double listings. There was suppose to be a single upgrade fee but all I saw was the monthly fee. Apparently, that's hidden somewhere. If Agilebits wants to come up with a seamless upgrade to v.7 that would be good, but I'll stay with v.6 for now.
    They have been a great company with regular updates.

• amcd
    amcd
    Community Member

There is a single license fee option.... I found it but you need to download 1P_7 from the main Agilebits site.. You will then see an option for subscription or paid license...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@amcd - sorry for the confusion, and thanks for the detailed descriptions!

Sorry to ask all these questions but I cannot find an 1P_7 Instruction Manual on your web site.

The URL you were looking for would've been https://support.1password.com -- it's a great resource for all things 1Password, not just 1Password 7 for Mac but also the Windows, iOS and Android flavors also, as well as issues that cover multiple versions. Typing a few key words into the search bar will often take you immediately to what you're looking for.

I assume I can still use 1P_6 + 1P_7 trial ?

1Password 7 is available for trial if you sign up for a 1password.com membership. That's because the membership itself comes with a 30-day free trial, and all of our applications (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android) are included with all 1Password memberships. But if you're asking whether there is a trial period for just the 1Password 7 app? No.

I did not have any of the account data needed to install 1P_7 (e.g. Sign-in and Secret Key could not be recovered )

That's because you were previously using 1Password as a standalone app. Which is totally fine...but it means you don't have an account, which is what's being asked for there. Where did you see this? To be clear, none of that is required to install and use 1Password 7 for Mac...you can purchase a standalone license as well, if you prefer. The initial screen

...has a link called "Need a license? We have those too." That's the one to click if you want to purchase a standalone license. It seems as if you chose to create a 1Password membership/account instead, however. Also fine, but that's why you don't see those extra preferences ("1P_6 >Preferences has more options than 1P_7; namely.... Sync - WLAN Server - Backup.... what has happened to these in 1P_7?") -- because they're not needed if you use a 1password.com account. Sync is performed by the 1password.com servers, which eliminates both the Sync and WLAN Server panels of Preferenes, and backups are performed automatically on the 1Password.com servers, which eliminates the Backup Preference.

Where is the 1P_7 Personal Vault stored?

On the 1Password.com server. You keep a local cache on your Mac, which is at ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data/.

Can it still use Apple Cloudkit /Dropbox/Local, etc ?

Yes. But I'm not sure why you'd want to pay for a 1password.com membership and not use it. To be clear: 1Password.com vaults cannot ever be synced any way except via 1password.com. If you want a standalone setup that can be synced using Dropbox, iCloud, or WLAN, you should go to Preferences > Accounts in 1Password 7, select your account in the list and click the minus button near the bottom. This will remove your account from 1Password 7 for Mac and should return you to the new user screen:

From there, you can choose your existing data source (iCloud, etc), and continue right along. However, 1Password will be in read-only mode if you do this, and you'll need to go to the 1Password menu item in the top left of your Mac's menubar and choose "Purchase 1Password." This will take you through the steps to purchase 1Password 7 for Mac as a standalone application.

How do I create Backups. Where would they be stored?

If you remain with your 1password.com account, you don't: backups are automatic on the server, as I mentioned above. If you choose to go the standalone route I just described, the other preference panels will reappear an Backups will be handled the same way you're accustomed to.

How do I Manually Sync changes?

Again, you don't, if you stick with a 1password.com account -- syncing is done by the 1password.com server; that's one of the benefits of your membership. However, even if you go the standalone route, you won't need to manually sync your changes unless you're using either Folder Sync or WLAN, in which case you'll have to remember to do it yourself (make sure devices are connected to same wi-fi network at the same time, etc).

How can I create a local vault and where would it be stored on my Mac.

See above. The same place it has been in version 4, 5 and 6.

How do I migrate data from 1P_6? IP_7 has a migration option from previous 1Password and shows some local folder options but none of them work. So how can I migrate my 1P_6 data to the new 1P_7

When you install 1Password 7 for Mac onto a Mac that has previously had 1Password data in version 6, the migration of your data will happen automatically. If for some reason it does not, you can visit File > Import and choose 1Password 6 as the option, then, in the pop-up menu, you'll navigate to the location of your previous 1Password 6 for Mac data file, at one of these locations:

• (if you were using version 6 downloaded from us): ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data/OnePassword.sqlite
    • (if you were using version 6 from the Mac App Store): ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/OnePassword.sqlite

I have a paid license for 1P_6... How do I get 1P_6 out of trial mode now

As mentioned above, there is no standalone trial of 1Password 7 for Mac. It sounds like you must have removed your account from 1Password 7 for Mac via the Preferences > Accounts panel, which would indeed leave 1Password in Read-Only mode. Choose File > Purchase 1Password to remove the Read Only limitation.

I hope the above was helpful, but let us know if you're still having difficulties.

This discussion has been closed.