EOL plans for V6 ?

peterwor
peterwor
Community Member

Has Agile posted anything ‘real’ in regards to EOL and support fit current V6 users, specifically the standalone versions.
I can’t and don’t use ANYTHING that,in any way, shape or form requires ANY connection to ANY other device (ie NO NETWORKS), Internet access, printers, flash or SDD portable anythings and/or a ‘subscription’
(and before any spitballs get fired in my direction, it’s not MY policy. It is a MILITARY run institution, (despite what the senate and House believe) in a building with more than 4 sides in one of those 3 letter acronym worlds, no the last letter is not the letter ‘a’ nuff said?
I can’t just open a door walk in and do what I want.
To Agile, can you please point me in a direction to understand whether or not I can continue to use 170+ stand alone 1pw V6.x versions ?
(Frankly, IMHO, I can’t honestly say that I have any idea of where 1pw is headed (it’s already the SNL “a desert topping AND a floor wax”, IMO). If I can’t keep my whole division on v6 stand alone, I would very very much appreciate any “statement” ftom Agile supporting what we’re told by Agile, re: remaining on V6 stand alone, with support or at least some idea of your (Agile) EOL plan for V6 stand alone.
If Agile doesn’t already have an EOL / Support plan they can show me, well that’s actually helpful.
I’ll take it to mean that if the next Win10 premiere updates or the next MacOS update breaks stand-alone V6, that we’re “SOL”
I don’t think that’s asking a whole lot. Even a yes/no would be very helpful.

Comments

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

Hi @peterwor, and welcome to the forum! You're welcome to keep using 1Password 6 as long as you'd like, though we have no plans for any more updates (barring anything major breaking in the future). However, as with any security software, it is important to stay up-to-date, and 1Password 7 is equally important for the wonderful new features it brings!

If your organization requires it (or even out of personal desire) you're welcome to purchase 1Password 7 for Mac with a license and keep using it standalone, without an account or subscription. Download the app from our website and you'll be able to purchase a license for it from within the app. :)

• peterwor
    peterwor
    Community Member

Thank You thank You very much, sincerely that is exactly what I wanted to hear.
    Ok did I miss that in the new features & stuff, I don’t recall seeing any mention of it, that’s the first time I‘ve heard that.
    Oh does that make my life a hell of a lot easier.
    It’s going to be a much better weekend than it was going to be yesterday.
    Thank you for that info. Is it possible to sync vaults via either a SSD or a Thumb drive in v7?
    At the moment we’ve been using a local “shared server’ just between devices on a physical net only within a lab.
    My friends in the Blue Suits and pants are VERY paranoid.
    When they ‘invited’ me to drop out of college in 1976 after only two years, to go work for the DOD, it was not an easy environment to be in, especially for a 20yo kid, who had a propensity to jerk their chains as much as possible. Is suddenly in Greenbelt MD or the ‘big funny shaped bldg in DC being in charge of original analog rocket scientists, trying to explain to Rumsfeld that a thing called a CPU could unshackle 4 people on 6 hours shifts for every sat in orbit, and get rid of joysticks.(literally I almost had heart failure when I saw dozens of people with an Xbox controller in their hands, that spoke volumes about what was to come. (Oh my did I get to see and do some pretty cool stuff though.)
    Lt Col Weway, almost soiled his pants when I told them that the SOP military compartmentalizations was no more. I /we needed to know it all, and they did not get that. It had already Taken 4 to 5 years for them to realize that a human controlling a satellite with a joystick is going to run out of hydrazine, really quickly. But if they act now then can have it all for a onetime low price of a BLACK clearance, which was suddenly a necessity, I got a paid 6 month vacation to sail from Cape Town SA to RIO. For 51 days at sea with a great team of sailors.(not NAVY sailors)
    First week back was spent in the foliage of a place that doesn’t exist learning Krav Maga and proper weapons training. Guys, I’m a software architect not a Black ops body.
    After we demonstrated how accurate my shiny new rad hardened Harris Semicinductor 8085. Ahh Lt, you do realize that trying to get sub-arc second accuracy for an autonomously paired satellite even in LEO, will require more than 8 bit word size. You want to fire a certain color of light 275 miles above us and hit a giant mirror to redirects that light to a bad man on another continent.
    If you want that this won’t do.
    (I want this on my headstone) that day August 3rd 1984 to now, my friends in blue I happened to overhear “I don’t know about that F’ing long haired, Hippie Drop out freak’s brain, he scares me. That kid thinks in 3D his mother probably dropped him on his head or he’s one of those Autistic kids. (the Movie Rainman was a decade away then)

His name was Capt. Richard Hurtz, the second I walked out of that room I called the front desk of the Pentagon and asked them to please page “Dick Hurtz” and ask him to come to the public lobby”
    In an entire section of the Pentagon, this very sweet older (then EVERYONE was older) receptionist blares through the whole of ring C heard “will Dick Hurtz please come to..., Oh my God......”. I was smart enough to call from a secured meeting room phone.
    Best day ever, been Game on ever since.
    Sorry for the time travel novel.

Thank you again for the info, most appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Peter

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome @peterwor, happy to help. :blush:

While we recommend using iCloud or Dropbox to sync your data (if you're using 1Password standalone, that is) you're welcome to sync it however you'd like. For example, you can sync it with a folder on a flash drive or external drive.

And thank you for the story, I loved reading it!

Cheers,
    Henry

This discussion has been closed.