To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Switching from standalone to membership

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: How much does the standalone app upgrade from ma v6 to v7 cost?.

Comments

• ericdefino
    ericdefino
    Community Member
    Options

How do you upgrade standalone app from 6 to 7? It logged me in to my previous account (trial membership) and my only option is to Update Billing Information, Not Now, or Sign In To Another Account...

I've deleted 1Password 7, reinstalled it and same deal.

This is the most convoluted app I currently own. Not very clear instructions.

• Ben
    Options

@ericdefino

You won’t be able to purchase a license while signed into a membership. This is intentional, and is designed to prevent folks from accidentally purchasing things they don’t need (as a membership covers access to all of our 1Password apps). If you are signed into a membership, but want to purchase a license, you’ll need to sign out of that membership first. Instructions on migrating from a membership to a standalone vault (if you deleted your Primary vault in the migration to the trial membership) can be found here:

How to move your data to a standalone vault to use 1Password without an account

Ben

• ericdefino
    ericdefino
    Community Member
    Options

Problem is, I don't have ANY items in my vault in 7 because Account is Frozen. I see them all in 6, but not in 7.
    I also have a dozens, if not hundreds of attachments (PDFs, JPGs, etc) in various items. These won't copy over?

• ericdefino
    ericdefino
    Community Member
    Options

And where is the menu for "1Password > Switch to Vault" In preferences? It's not in the pulldown menu

• ericdefino
    ericdefino
    Community Member
    Options

I got so frustrated trying to figure out how to upgrade that ended up buying a membership, only to regret it instantly.
    All attachments to my items (PDFs, JPGs, RTF notes, etc) are all separate items???. And once you view them, they download to your local drive, which then have to be deleted manually one by one.

If I'm doing something wrong, can someone chime in please?

Cheers

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ericdefino: Sorry for the confusion there! 1Password.com uses Documents so that you can upload arbitrary files to store them securely in your account. Items with attachments in a local vault are converted, so that you'll have the original item with a link to the file as a Document. If you downloaded them accidentally, you can select more than one using ⌘-click and then right click to remove the local files for all at once. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• ericdefino
    ericdefino
    Community Member
    Options

I understand that. Is there a way to view attachments (documents) without downloading them to local drive?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ericdefino: No, if they're not on your device, there's nothing to view. It needs to be downloaded in order to be decrypted so you can open it.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

"Sorry for the confusion there! 1Password.com uses Documents so that you can upload arbitrary files to store them securely in your account. Items with attachments in a local vault are converted, so that you'll have the original item with a link to the file as a Document."

I have moaned about this in previous threads. For me it is the one (and only) big disappointment about changing to membership. I liked the old way of having attachments within the relevant 1P entry much better,

I am still unclear from the staff replies whether this behaviour is an unfortunate but necessary consequence of membership, or whether Agile think they have made an improvement. If the latter can I make a request that attachments make a comeback please?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have moaned about this in previous threads. For me it is the one (and only) big disappointment about changing to membership. I liked the old way of having attachments within the relevant 1P entry much better,

@mikebore: Indeed, thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!

I am still unclear from the staff replies whether this behaviour is an unfortunate but necessary consequence of membership, or whether Agile think they have made an improvement. If the latter can I make a request that attachments make a comeback please?

This is very much intentional. Over the long history of attachments in 1Password, the most common issue people had with them was "Okay, that's nice, but why do I have to create another item first when I just want to secure this file?"

So I guess the questions I have are:

1. What changes would you like us to make to Documents for them to be useful to you?
    2. How will those changes help your specific workflow?

We're not at all interested in simply "making Documents work like attachments"; we'd rather make changes that solve actual problems people are having. Linking is another thing that people find much nicer with not only Documents but other items as well, and it's something we're looking to expand on in the future. Maybe there's something in that vein that could help you and others as well. Let me know, and I'll be happy to bring it up with the team. :)

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

I am not complaining about the Documents feature per se. It obviously has uses. What I am missing is the ability to attach screenshots PDFS, etc to a 1Password entry and have them all accessible from that one entry.

When I changed to the subscription model I laboriously went through all my previous attachments now separate documents to copy/paste or type the info from the attachments into the notes section to get back to a single item situation.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I am not complaining about the Documents feature per se. It obviously has uses. What I am missing is the ability to attach screenshots PDFS, etc to a 1Password entry and have them all accessible from that one entry.

@mikebore: I hear you. Thanks for clarifying. We won't be bundling files within items (as that brings a lot of issues with it with regard to sync and data), but you can link them (Related Items) to each other to make it easy to go back and forth between them. It's not as easy as it should be though, so this is something we're looking to improve in the future.

When I changed to the subscription model I laboriously went through all my previous attachments now separate documents to copy/paste or type the info from the attachments into the notes section to get back to a single item situation.

I'm sorry that you felt the need to do that. It's our fault, and we'll keep working on ways to make it more seamless for you to access your data. Thanks for taking the time to let us know the pain pints you've encountered. :blush:

• ericdefino
    ericdefino
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe I wasn't clear, so Ill try again.

I have a ton of attachments linked to many different entries - scan of my license, social security card, my family's passports, etc. Some are more sensitive than others.

In version 6, I would click an attachment and it would open. Simple enough.

In v7, when I click to view an attachment, it takes me to the document entry, then downloads it to my hard drive (in a folder called com.agilebits.Attachments.noindex). This file stays on the local drive until it's deleted manually, either within 1P or via finder.

Seems like a major security issue if all attachments (documents) are stored in a local directory as opposed to keeping them within the app.

Is there a workaround to this? Am I doing something wrong?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ericdefino: Ah, thanks for clarifying! I'm sorry for the confusion there. In fact, unless you explicitly view the Document's downloaded file, this is still stored encrypted in 1Password's internal database. When you do view it, it is decrypted to a temporary file that is cleared shortly thereafter (once it's no longer open). It's necessary for it to be decrypted in order for it to be viewed, as otherwise it would be gibberish to you or any program trying to open it. The OS deletes temporary files when they're no longer in use; and it's almost certain that you're using full disk encryption, which also helps.

This works exactly the same as it does for attachments. The only difference is that you can upload a Document of virtually any size and they only download to your device when you explicitly tell 1Password to do that. Attachments are limited to 5MB, because those are automatically downloaded as part of the item they are attached to. Many customers have asked us to remove the file size restriction, but with attachments that would cause a lot of problems for people's data plans, bandwidth, and storage space. So Documents are separate and can be handled discretely without running into those issues, despite not having a size limit. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.