2 applications installed now after 1Password 7

chuckp
chuckp
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Mac

I saw 1Password 7 in an email so I found it in the App Store. I had expected it to simply be an update to the 1Password app I already have on my computer. However, now I have 2 applications. Why? That's really odd. Am I suppose to completely uninstall 1Password 6?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password 7

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

You shouldn't in fact have two current 1Password applications on your Mac because when 1Password 7 is installed it should zip your 1Password 6 installation and place that zip file in your Applications folder? Do you have that zip file there? If so, can you explain a little more what you mean when you say:

However, now I have 2 applications.

Stephen

• chuckp
    chuckp
    Community Member

I have 2 applications. See attached. I downloaded from the App Store.

• chuckp
    chuckp
    Community Member

I can open both applications. It's odd.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

I'm sorry that I have no idea what happened or why you appear to have two applications. What I can say is that you need to ensure that you're not leaving both open at the same time. That means:

• If you want to use 1Password 7 make sure you first quit 1Password 6 completely by pressing control + command + Q.
    • If you want to use 1Password 6 make sure you first quit 1Password 7 completely by pressing control + option + command + Q.

I have no doubt a Real Expert will be along to explain properly what has happened but the Real Experts are swimming against the tidal flow of posts just at the moment. :)

Stephen

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the assist @Stephen_C! The installer for 1Password 7 downloaded from our website does automatically zip 1Password 6, but we are unable to do that with the Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 due to macOS's sandboxing restrictions.

Indeed @chuckp, you'll want to quit the old 1Password app (1Password 6, just called "1Password") by opening it and then using control + command + Q, then delete it from Launchpad or by dragging it to your Trash from the Applications folder. Let us know if you have any more questions!

This discussion has been closed.