1Password 7 for mac not selecting on unique URLS

pteron
pteron
Community Member

I've read the thread in the mac-beta section and remain confused.

I have two separate logins to two separate sub subdomains:
accounts.company.net.uk and
control.company.net.uk

Whenever I go to one either of the two urls and try to cmd-\ I get both accounts instead of the account specific to that domain name. This is frustrating. I've checked and the two entries are the only entries with company.net.uk in them and neither has the others url in it.

Surely if there is a unique direct match to a domain name it should be used when cmd-\ is triggered?

1Password Version: 7.03
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: agilebits

Comments

• pteron
    pteron
    Community Member

Is this expected behaviour? Can someone from agilebits at least respond to confirm or not?

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pteron: Sorry for the confusion. That's expected and very much by design. I understand that you happen to not want this behaviour in this specific case, but there's a long list of examples to the contrary. Probably one that we can all appreciate is that we'd expect to be able to use our Apple ID login saved at appleid.apple.com or pretty much anywhere else at www.apple.com, developer.apple.com, itunes.apple.com, etc. If 1Password did not behave this way, many, many, many people would be understandably confused, frustrated, and/or upset when their login seemed to disappear, not being offered anywhere on the domain. I hope this helps clear that up.

• pteron
    pteron
    Community Member

There is no reason why the logic couldn't be that *.apple.com picks up the same login unless there is a specific and different set of credentials for a more specific match, in which case those should be used. That wouldn't break your scenario at all.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pteron: Let's break it down. 1) 1Password should fill when you press ⌘ \ when there is only a single matching login. 2) When there are more than one that match, it should offer you a choice instead. You're suggesting that there be a third scenario, that actually subverts those both at the same time: 1Password fills an exact match when you press , ignoring other logins, and not even present you them as options. Effectively that would make a lot of people think they'd lost logins, which goes back to my original point. That's not only confusing to users, but it also difficult to even communicate these things with a bunch of words, much less make it intuitive in the app itself. I don't expect we'll be doing that.

• pteron
    pteron
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

@brenty
    The logic would be:
    if one match for subdomain.domain.toplevel then present it
    else if any matches for *.domain.toplevel then present all

Why would anyone want to see the non specific login if they've deliberately made a login for that specific sub domain?

In life, specificity is always chosen over generality, if I like chocolate cake but I specifically like chocolate cake with chocolate icing, there's no need to show me the whole selections of chocolate cake with other icing if one with chocolate icing is available.

Can you at least organise the list such that the specific match appears at the top of the list and allow an enter to fill it?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Why would anyone want to see the non specific login if they've deliberately made a login for that specific sub domain?

@pteron: Because in the vast majority of cases a login for a domain is also valid for any subdomains at that same website. I'd give some more examples, but we'd be here all day. ;) Also, pretty much no one will "deliberately made a login for that specific sub domain"; they just save the login when 1Password offers to do that. Most people don't know or care what a subdomain is, or which one they're on. Obviously that's not true for you and I, but we're very much outliers, if only by virtue of the fact that we can have an interesting discussion on this topic. :)

In life, specificity is always chosen over generality, if I like chocolate cake but I specifically like chocolate cake with chocolate icing, there's no need to show me the whole selections of chocolate cake with other icing if one with chocolate icing is available.

You're not wrong, but cake is a very different topic than password management. :)

Can you at least organise the list such that the specific match appears at the top of the list and allow an enter to fill it?

That's something we'd like as well. :)

This discussion has been closed.