1P, version 7, App Store, license confusion

iphoneuser
iphoneuser
Community Member

I have been a long time 1P user and generally love the app. However, I have to say that upgrading has sometimes been a confusing "adventure" (particularly the v3 to v4 conversion and all of the sync issues). My current understanding is that if I want to keep using an individual license, I have to switch from the App Store version to the web version, is that correct? I read the blog post about this and I did not see any technical reason (or at least that I could understand) for this decision to not allow licenses for the App Store version. It wasn't that long ago that I switched to the App Store version from the web version. I like the App Store as it is so easy to manage and update applications.
If I am correct about the App Store version not supporting individual licenses, then I would like to strongly advocate for allowing that (if there is no underlying technical issue). I understand the push for the subscription model, etc. but I like the way things are (were) as they just worked. I am currently still on El Cap (that is another story) so I can't use v7 anyway but I am starting to look ahead.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

My current understanding is that if I want to keep using an individual license, I have to switch from the App Store version to the web version, is that correct?

Yes. There is some technical reason AgileBits has propounded for that. However, in spite of a lot of searching on the forum I can't find it among the plethora of recent posts.

Stephen

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

Hi there! @Stephen_C you're exactly right, this wasn't a decision we made lightly. Because the Mac App Store doesn't allow for paid upgrades without a lot of messy custom code, we had to make 1Password 7 a completely different app in the Mac App Store, confusing a lot of our customers as to why 1Password 6.8.9 is appearing to be the latest version. We'd have to repeat that mess all over again with 1Password 8 (and all future generations of 1Password) if we decided to continue selling licenses there.

So, to make things easier for us and for you all, we've decided to support licenses only with 1Password 7 downloaded from our website. You can read more about all of this from our blog post here!

• iphoneuser
    iphoneuser
    Community Member

Thanks for the information. I am not sure I would characterize this is as a technical reason, more of a business reason I think and something that all App Store applications have to deal with. I would still like to see a return to the App Store as it is much easier for the user to manage, IMHO.
    Nevertheless, I can see the confusion on the forums and understand that aspect of your decision. I will have to consider whether I want to upgrade.

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

Roger that, thanks for the understanding @iphoneuser! Let me know if you need any help in upgrading (and you might be interested in the benefits of a 1Password account) and I'd be more than happy to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.