I really don't know what to say ...

pomme4moi
pomme4moi
Community Member

Like many others who have posted in the last few days, I have been a 1P user for many years. I am on 1P version 6 with a "stand-alone" installation using WLAN for syncing. I thought I would give the cloud-based IP 7 Family Plan a try. What a nightmare.

I started from this 1P webpage: https://1password.com/families/. It prompted me to set up my account, enter my billing details, etc. It then suggested I download the 1P7 app for Mac. I did this, but when I opened the app, the first screen prompted me to "start my trial". What? Hadn't I already started my trial in the previous web-based step? Why was I again being asked to set up an email address, etc? It made no sense to me.

Once I got the IP7 app running, however, I realised it had not imported any of my data from IP6. Nor was there any point in the installation process that prompted me for the import. Was the import supposed to happen automatically? That was not clear. Worse still, unknown to me, the IP7 install automatically removed my IP6 app. So guess what? I couldn't even open IP6 to access any of my passwords. After tinkering for a while, I found that the IP6 app had been zipped and stored in my Applications folder. So I decided to delete the IP7 app, unzip the IP6 app, then recover my IP6 data from a backup. This worked.

The bottom line is this. After spending nearly three hours trying to upgrade, I am now back to where I started, having made no progress whatsoever. I'm still a bit cranky from the experience, but I ask that you take two requests to heart.

1. You guys have a great app. And normally, your support is great too. Back thinking back to upgrades from IP3 to IP4 and from IP4 onwards, your upgrade processes are substandard. It's too hard to figure out what one is supposed to do, and the upgrades themselves routinely are problematic. I'd like to try 1P7 again, but I won't do so with the current upgrade process.

2. You really, really need online chat with screen share capability. I should have been able to contact one of your team today, and that person should have stayed with me either to get the upgrade to work or to step me through the recovery of my 1P6 app. Posting questions to a user forum or a support email address is insufficient. The turn-around time is too slow, and some topics are too complex to address in an "ask first question, wait for answer, ask next question, wait for next answer" process. In my case today, I wouldn't even have known what question to ask, other than "the upgrade is not working, what do I do?"

Let me know when you get a better 1P7 upgrade process and I'll be happy to try again.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

@pomme4moi - I'm sorry for the difficulties getting upgraded to 1Password 7 simultaneously with switching to a 1password.com account! In fact, reading over your thorough (thank you!) description of what steps you took, that seems like it might have been where things started to go wrong. Upgrading from one version to another and switching from a standalone setup to a 1password.com membership can indeed be done together, but each step can also be done separately and without doing the other. In other words, you can go from version 6 --> 7 while staying with a standalone setup, or you can switch from a standalone setup to a 1password.com membership all while continuing to use the same version. Or you can do both simultaneously.

I started from this 1P webpage: https://1password.com/families/

Because you visited the 1Password Families page of our website, it's focused on the second of the options I mentioned above: getting you signed up for 1Password Families. That page doesn't give instructions for upgrading from 1Password 6 for Mac to 1Password 7 for Mac because at that point, we don't know what platform you're using (Mac? Windows?), or even if you plan to use the apps at all. We just know you want to sign up for 1Password Families. Which it sounds like you did.

It then suggested I download the 1P7 app for Mac.

When you sign up for a new account on the web, after signing in for the first time, you'll be prompted to download your Emergency Kit, but after that, the next screen you'll see is your home screen, containing your vaults (Personal and Shared are the defaults). This page has a prominent, highlighted box in the top left that says "Welcome to 1Password" and because it's assumed you will want to use your new account with one or more of our apps (rather than web-only), one of the choices there is to install apps and add your account into the apps -- like this:

Clicking the "Get the Apps" link would present you with the following screen:

The above ^^ page is all about getting the apps (if you need them) and adding your new account to those apps. The button you wanted there was the big highlighted blue one marked "Already have the app? Add your account directly," since you did indeed already have 1Password for Mac. The links to download the app(s) are for people new to 1Password -- which you aren't. Had you clicked that button, a pop-up would've asked you for permission to open your local 1Password 6 app, and taken you right to the setup screen to add your account by scanning the Setup Code (looks like a QR code in the above page). And you would've added your account to 1Password 6 and presumably moved your data over.

Since it sounds like you clicked the button to download 1Password 7 for Mac instead, upon running its installer, it would've presented you with a screen that looked like this:

...where you could choose whether you wanted to subscribe (the big green button which would've taken you through the sign-up process and automated the importing of your data from version 6 into version 7 and transferring it from your local vault(s) to your new account), or purchase a standalone license (which would have been more like a traditional upgrade from one version to the next), or allowed you to sign into an existing account (what you would've wanted, since you already created your 1Password Families account).

Once I got the IP7 app running, however, I realised it had not imported any of my data from IP6...So I decided to delete the IP7 app, unzip the IP6 app, then recover my IP6 data from a backup. This worked.

While I'm very glad you were able to get 1Password 6 working again so you can access your data, why did you need to recover your 1Password 6 for Mac data from a backup? When you unzipped the 1Password 6 for Mac application which was still in your Applications folder, upon re-launching it, was there no data inside? 1Password 7's data location is in an entirely different location from where 1Password 6 stores its data, which is why we had to build in a data importer -- to move the data over to the new location. But that process leaves the older 1Password 6 data in place, in case you ever want/need to revert to it. That's why I'm not clear on why you had to restore a backup. Can you explain?

The current upgrade process isn't as simple as installing a new app you've never used before, I'll certainly grant you that. But it does indeed work, assuming everything's OK with the existing 1Password setup and the OS. I'd love to help you try again with a different flow to the setup. If you're willing, let me know and I'll give you some instructions. Again, sorry for the difficulties.

• pomme4moi
    pomme4moi
    Community Member

Thank you for your kind response.

Yes, that is correct. There was no data inside the 1P6 app. That's why I recovered the data from a backup. In fairness, I had a tried several recovery options before discovering the 1P6 app in the zipped file, so it's possible I might have screwed it up somewhere.

Again, I hope you will consider my suggestion to make online chat with screen sharing available as a future support option. Thx

• pomme4moi
    pomme4moi
    Community Member

Goodbye 1P. It was nice knowing you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

@pomme4moi

In fairness, I had a tried several recovery options before discovering the 1P6 app in the zipped file...

That may have had something to do with it, yes.

I hope you will consider my suggestion to make online chat with screen sharing available as a future support option.

We'd be sorry to see you go :( , but we'll be here if you change your mind or decide to come back. I wish you luck with whatever you end up choosing to do for password management. Stay safe out there! :)

This discussion has been closed.